S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC Would it be possible to make some sort of metal plate that would mount to the 120mm fan mounts under the GPU that would allow you to put 2x thin 92mm fans on it directly over the GPU? I'm thinking something like that may be better than a single thin 120mm fan when removing the stock gpu fan/shroud on cards like the zotac 1070 mini.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@Josh | NFC Would it be possible to make some sort of metal plate that would mount to the 120mm fan mounts under the GPU that would allow you to put 2x thin 92mm fans on it directly over the GPU? I'm thinking something like that may be better than a single thin 120mm fan when removing the stock gpu fan/shroud on cards like the zotac 1070 mini.
I'm sure Josh has thought about this while playing with my 1080mini. He's been super creative so far with just the few things he's shown me, and he might surprise a lot of you here on how and what he's tested and verified for the 1080mini's S4 mini fitment.

But why would you want to swap the fans if the 1070 mini fits inside the S4mini without problem? The stock fans are probably going to cool the card best, since they were specifically designed to do it.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
But why would you want to swap the fans if the 1070 mini fits inside the S4mini without problem? The stock fans are probably going to cool the card best, since they were specifically designed to do it.

Oh i was under the impression the fan shroud extended too far. The spec sheet says its 211mm and i thought the max depth was 204mm. The fans don't look like they extend past the heatsink itself, but the shroud does slightly.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Oh i was under the impression the fan shroud extended too far. The spec sheet says its 211mm and i thought the max depth was 204mm. The fans don't look like they extend past the heatsink itself, but the shroud does slightly.
Oh I see, you're talking about the ZOTAC? Why not get the GALAX instead, it fits without problem, so does the Gigabyte.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Oh I see, you're talking about the ZOTAC? Why not get the GALAX instead, it fits without problem, so does the Gigabyte.

The Galax and Gigabyte don't have dual displayport outputs. They use dual DVI instead. If they had the reference 3x DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI i would likely get the Galax card.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC If i were to order custom fitted demciflex filters for the S4 mini, do you know what dimensions i should specify? I'd like to cover the 2 main side panels as well as the thin top panel above the graphics card region.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE! Hoping it's good competition to the ZOTAC 1080mini, maybe smaller and cooler, so other future S4 mini owners can have more options. The more options, the better!

Now that I think about it, they haven't done an ITX 1070 yet so it may be that. But they did an ITX 970 and that has the same TDP as the 1080.

They'll probably just do both 1070/1080 and slap that same 970 cooler on each of them, that's the easiest thing.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC If i were to order custom fitted demciflex filters for the S4 mini, do you know what dimensions i should specify? I'd like to cover the 2 main side panels as well as the thin top panel above the graphics card region.

It's actually a more complicated question because the wrap around outer panel mates perfectly with the inner chassis frame. So you need to decide how it is going to work.

I'm not trying to dodge your question as giving you dimensions of those vent areas is easy (12.5x8" and 2x7.5"), but I am worried you would order something that wouldn't fit.

@robbee actually finished up with the hairline flats the other day and I tested them out and they are great so you can base your mockup on that, but ONLY once you see how it fits to the frame. That's what I recommend.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
My custom powder coated mini should finally arrive today! I'll make a complete build log thread for what I'm doing shortly.
My mini is going to be purpose built for both budget and gaming.
I wanted to meet these three criteria:
1. Use an S4 Mini
2. Be able to play World of Tanks on optimum settings at 100+ FPS
3. Keep the initial build under $1,000
This build is possible with FM2+ and an AMD Carrizo 65w efficient chip.
The initial build minus customization and powder coating is under $1,000.
For those wanting to use the S4 for FPS gaming but not wanting to spend over $1,000 you can easily do so: (parts list below)
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/smallformgaming/saved/4n2jXL
*I'd actually recommend the 1050ti instead of the 1060 that I used for this build for those who are truly budget conscious... this should drop the cost down to under $900. (The 1050ti wasn't available when I bought my card initially)
**Operation: DESERT SCOUT begins today**

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
It's actually a more complicated question because the wrap around outer panel mates perfectly with the inner chassis frame. So you need to decide how it is going to work.

I'm not trying to dodge your question as giving you dimensions of those vent areas is easy (12.5x8" and 2x7.5"), but I am worried you would order something that wouldn't fit.

Well i'd want the filters to go on the inside of the panels. I understand if some of the venting holes may be covered by the bezel for the filters, that's fine. I'm also aware aluminum isn't magnetic. I don't plan on using the cross brace for SSD's, or the bracket for a 120mm fan over the CPU area. I also don't plan on using the 5mm thick aluminum wrap around. I just want the large vent holes on the 2 main side panels and the one slim side panel with large vent holes to have filters.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Heads up, if anyone has infinite money, Eurocom is selling a 780w ac-dc power brick on their website: http://www.pcgamer.com/eurocom-launches-a-monstrous-780w-acdc-adapter-for-high-end-laptops/

For it to be that expensive and high wattage, they are probably using SiC or GaN components.

I still wouldn't recommend it, it's pretty pointless for any HDPlex build since again you're going to be thermally limited before getting much past the 330w brick's limits. It probably only makes sense on the Eurocom custom laptops which use two MXM GTX 1080 cards in SLI. Still, that's an interesting development.

Reactions: Tek Everything

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
For it to be that expensive and high wattage, they are probably using SiC or GaN components.
I don't think they're using any exotic components, it's probably expensive because they've taken a 1U high-wattage server PSU and repackaged it with a small LCD panel and microcontroller and a different output socket. Probably done by hand or in a very short production run, which drives prices up.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Well i'd want the filters to go on the inside of the panels. I understand if some of the venting holes may be covered by the bezel for the filters, that's fine. I'm also aware aluminum isn't magnetic. I don't plan on using the cross brace for SSD's, or the bracket for a 120mm fan over the CPU area. I also don't plan on using the 5mm thick aluminum wrap around. I just want the large vent holes on the 2 main side panels and the one slim side panel with large vent holes to have filters.
When he said wraparound I think he meant the side panel that is on the backside of the mobo/ fan side of the GPU, that fits perfectly against the back of the mobo tray, maybe you could cut some thin, fine mesh and just sandwitch it in place there?

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
Planning out my build I want to do when I get the chance to buy an S4 in the next batch, and starting to buy the pieces.

Currently on the list;
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700T
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i ( Possibly with a 25mm Noctua fan if it'll fit, or if it's even worth it )
Motherboard: Leaning towards the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i
RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB ( 2 x 8GB )
GPU: EVGA GTX1060 3GB SC ( Already have in my NCASE M1 that will be used )
PSU: HDPLEX 300W w/ the Dell 330W brick
Storage: * Samsung 960 EVO 250GB ( Main System + Files )
* Samsung 960 EVO 500GB ( Games )
* External NAS System that supplies music and movies to the rest of the house​

I think it will be a nice upgrade from my current build that's aged quite well, and is still more than capable, I just want to go smaller. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I need to worry about for this case. I've noticed that most of the switches in them are of a longer variety, and in some photos seems like it would interfere with motherboards like the STRIX with the 24 pin connector at the top, or at least be really close. Would it be worth it to grab one that isn't as long? ( Thought I'd have more questions, but that's the only one I can think of right now )

Just need to wait for the STRIX to come back into stock, then I'll be done until the next batch of S4 Mini's. Plan to order most of the parts over the next couple of weekends.