S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

controller

Case Bender
Jan 13, 2017
@controller Nice build... out of curiosity, what made you go with an Engine 27?

Mainly because it looks cool as hell. Actually I had a Cryorig C7 at first but I read that it would be too tall for the S4 mini, so I looked around for something smaller.

During initial testing I found that even though it's rated for 70W it kept my old 2500K at reasonable temps. I'm using a 65W 6600 in this build so this cooler is more than enough.

Reactions: Tek Everything

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
DISCLAIMER!!!!!

I recommend 35w CPUs with the MINI. Those benchmarks are done with a stock 6700K on a test bench and are used for my benchmarking and testing only.

Maybe I should start sneaking my logo in on the shroud designs next time. I didn't think of that on the 480...

Josh, just wondering why you recommend a 35w T-series CPU for the Mini. Is it because you like lower-wattage builds? I was thinking about the 7700T, but thought "eh, might as well go for the 7700K for the small price difference." Not going to be overclocking, but the speed bump would be nice. I have the 300w HDPLEX DC-ATX PSU and a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini on the way. I believe I'll have plenty of headroom, so I was just wondering if you had any additional reasons to stray from the 65w or K-series CPUs.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Josh may have some other input on the matter, but the idea I think is that with a T series chip, you're going to get somewhat better efficiency than you would even when using an underclocked/undervolted K series chip because of how they bin chips at Intel. Most games are going to be GPU bound as well, which means you're better from off using a T series chip with lower clocks in order to free up more power/overhead for a GPU. Lastly, thermal management is a lot easier in a constrained case like the S4 with a 35W chip than it is with a 91W chip.

Reactions: zovc and Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh, just wondering why you recommend a 35w T-series CPU for the Mini. Is it because you like lower-wattage builds? I was thinking about the 7700T, but thought "eh, might as well go for the 7700K for the small price difference." Not going to be overclocking, but the speed bump would be nice. I have the 300w HDPLEX DC-ATX PSU and a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini on the way. I believe I'll have plenty of headroom, so I was just wondering if you had any additional reasons to stray from the 65w or K-series CPUs.

The direct answer is complicated. I'm not arguing for it, but if you are the type of customer who wants a quick recommendation, then go for a 35W CPU. If you know why you need a 65W+ cpu, then you should ignore me. :)

As a "businessperson" I just make a computer chassis. I am held responsible for my recommendations whether I am speaking as a business owner or a modding guy on YouTube even though I try to distinguish between the two.

Officially, the S4 MINI supports 35W CPUs.

Unofficially...stick whatever you want in there. Intel CPUs can run stupid hot, but keep in mind supporting components can have their life shortened dramatically by heat--especially RAM.

SoFinally, as a personal recommendation. The S4 MINI to me is an art project based on efficiency. A K series CPU is just not efficient if you don't plan on tuning it. A 65W CPU to me doesn't yield return per wattage in the REAL WORLD for many S4 MINI customers.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Lampshade actually summed up my thoughts better than me...

People have made claims that the modern T series chips aren't specially binned...that might be true, but what I have done is tested the last three generations against their K variants in CPU intensive games and in Futurmark Pro and Valley...and the CPU doesn't bind up the Fury X or 1080 by anything significant in my opinion. Other's opinions may vary.

Keep in mind, I am a CPU guy, and I LOVE overclocking. It's just the MINI is a different direction and I encourage people to adopt a simpler "zen" when building in it than a desktop tower or even some of the badass custom cases on this forum.

Reactions: CXH4

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
To be honest, now i prefer largely to go for a 7700k and undervolt and underclocked it...final'result is generally well above than T cpu..:)

Ased on my experience i undervolt/clock my core i7 4770k @3.1ghz with hyperthreading @0.8v...as fast as core i5 6500 but...at 45w lol..:)

Also choose fast ram, it could truly help in specific cases ( novigrad in the witcher 3 for example)

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Thanks for the quick responses, you guys. I just wanted to let everyone that has been waiting (like me) for the ASUS Z270i, the support page is finally up and has the memory QVL. Additionally, the 7700T is available right now on NewEgg for $9 more than MSRP from a NewEgg seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
DISCLAIMER!!!!!

I recommend 35w CPUs with the MINI. Those benchmarks are done with a stock 6700K on a test bench and are used for my benchmarking and testing only.

Do you have a recommendation on who to buy T processors from? Newegg and Amazon don't typically carry them.

It's just the MINI is a different direction and I encourage people to adopt a simpler "zen" when building in it than a desktop tower or even some of the bad ass custom cases on this forum.

An AMD RyZEN approach? :)

Reactions: Curiosity

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
7700T is up on Newegg like @LodisKnight said

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7X4278&cm_re=7700T-_-9SIA1N857X4278-_-Product

320 is pretty damned good since you often have to pay an eBay premium to get one of the higher end i7 chips.

When i go through the menu's and filter by 35w TDP processors it doesn't show up, ^o^. I see it's actually sold by "PC Rush" and only listed on newegg's website.

Yea, the MSRP for this chip is $312, so $321+shipping isn't bad at all. Considering it was literally just released. Usually new stuff prices are jacked up because of demand before it drops back down to the MSRP.

Thanks for the quick responses, you guys. I just wanted to let everyone that has been waiting (like me) for the ASUS Z270i, the support page is finally up and has the memory QVL.

So far I'm not impressed by the new 270/250 motherboards. I'll probably be sticking with an H110 board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130929 It's only $85, it's black, the layout is pretty much perfect, it has a pci-e m.2 slot AND a wifi card. Can't overclock with it obviously, but i was planning on a T CPU that can't overclock anyhow.

Last edited:

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Just thought I'd pop in to say I recently put the Gigabyte GTX1070 in my S4 mini and it was relatively simple process for anyone else considering it, I did have to go out and buy a dremel of course but it was well worth it to power my newly acquired Vive.

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Just thought I'd pop in to say I recently put the Gigabyte GTX1070 in my S4 mini and it was relatively simple process for anyone else considering it, I did have to go out and buy a dremel of course but it was well worth it to power my newly acquired Vive.

Nice. I'm still waiting on my S4, but have my Noctua L9i fan dyed black and red, have all of the parts or have them ordered (except for the ASUS Z270i), and got my HDPLEX power cord PCB dremeled. I got a Dremel (4200) for Christmas and the misses was mad that I hadn't used it yet.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Let me see a pic of the black noctua if possible!

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Let me see a pic of the black noctua if possible!

I took my parts out of the pots shortly after your reply. Ended up being SUPER disappointed with the results. Switched gears to spray paint and hoping for the best. Primer x 2, Paint x 2, Clear Coat. Hopefully all of the coats aren't too thick and don't ruin the efficiency of the Noctua fan. Also praying it's even and there is no humming or rattle.

Reactions: Phuncz

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'll be honest, to me that looks like a pretty thick coat of paint, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Might just be the lighting or something though, to be fair.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I heard the new Ryzen quad core chips are all going to be 45w TDP. If that's true, it should work well in the S4 mini. If Ryzen can give the performance of non K equivalent intel kaby lake at 20 less watts that would be pretty amazing.