S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
I bough one of those "genuine" adapters and it started pouring out smoke. It was a 230w version and i was pulling maybe 160

There is always this risk when you buy those adapters. I might buy the one directly from dell site just to be sure. But it is 1000% more expensive. :(

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My advice after about 20 years of online shopping around the globe:
If something costs 10 times less than the average market price, it's a "different" product (low quality fake) or it's that 1 in 10.000 chance that you have an amazing deal which doesn't happen that often. It's because of people not being skeptical of "too good to be true" prices that fakes of everything are still being made. Buy from reputable companies and sellers that have a history you can track (user reviews), but don't feed the knock-off market more than it already is and risk your house or your family's life to save money.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm not sure the guy is actually making any markup selling the unit to be honest. The case is baseline 150 and for the custom paint job I think Josh probably charges another 50 bucks. The Bulgin and riser probably run another 75 bucks together. The HDPlex is another 85 dollars. By my math that comes out to around 350 USD and considering whoever is selling it had to have it shipped to the eurozone in the first place as well as some sort of customs being a made in USA product and I'm not sure the price is way off base.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Reactions: jeshikat

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
More S4 love to this thread. I tried to do some customizing (painting)....was aiming for orange, aaand it's a Hazel color now :D
Well it's unique atleast, it's got some blemishes and a few scratches etc. but it's my daily workhorse and I like it.

Dude, how about a pic of the front? Gotta see dat aluminum bezel bro.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Don't have good shots, just took a few with my phone when the case was in pieces for maintenance purposes.
You can see the blemishes in the corners etc. just my ghetto DIY spray paint endeavour. Was meaning to change that power switch for a black one, but that bare metal one is so inappropriate that it fits the theme :D

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Don't have good shots, just took a few with my phone when the case was in pieces for maintenance purposes.
You can see the blemishes in the corners etc. just my ghetto DIY spray paint endeavour. Was meaning to change that power switch for a black one, but that bare metal one is so inappropriate that it fits the theme :D

Wow! Are you using the Zotac 1070 mini? Will that fit in there with the cover off or you need to do more modifications (like sawing the cooler)? Did removing the cover affect the cooling performance? I'm planning to use the Zotac mini as well because the gigabyte one only got one dp port but I got multiple monitors. I'm planning to saw off the cooler if it doesn't fit and replace the stock fan with 2 90mm fan.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
highway robbery at it's greatest.....just pay josh for his hard work if you want it that bad.....

Aaaaaand.... it sold.
Maybe it isn't highway robbery, considering the original production runs and custom paint options, we are talking extreme limited numbers, plus it is unused with components.
Or, maybe someone just simply got tired of waiting.
*I do agree with supporting Josh though.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Honestly though it is pretty unique and I like the color idea--never would have thought about it. It certainly is season appropriate. Thank you for sharing...it is SO FUN to see people build and mod their MINIs :D

I'd much rather have one with those nice showcar grade powdercoats you do I just got the mod bug anf let the aerosol fly so to speak. It usually doesn't end well.

Wow! Are you using the Zotac 1070 mini? Will that fit in there with the cover off or you need to do more modifications (like sawing the cooler)? Did removing the cover affect the cooling performance? I'm planning to use the Zotac mini as well because the gigabyte one only got one dp port but I got multiple monitors. I'm planning to saw off the cooler if it doesn't fit and replace the stock fan with 2 90mm fan.

Nah, im still using a "peasant" Zotac 970. Has served me well tho, running BF1 with it lately @ 1600p and it's still chugging along.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I guess I'll weigh in on the listing. Firstly I am so honored to have you guys in my corner sticking up for me. I can't tell you how much it means to me and I will return the favor if I can.

The seller lost a huge amount of money on this even not counting the insane shipping/import fees. The buyer is getting a great deal. That Gunmetal Diamond color is extremely rare, insanely expensive (for everyone, especially me) and now that its over I really hope to find one for myself one day.

Peace!

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
That Gunmetal Diamond color is extremely rare, insanely expensive (for everyone, especially me) and now that its over I really hope to find one for myself one day.

Peace!

I'll sell you mine Josh. Kidding!

Can't blame the buyer though. Powder coat option for S4s are rare now. You won't see anyone selling his any time soon.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I guess I'll weigh in on the listing. Firstly I am so honored to have you guys in my corner sticking up for me. I can't tell you how much it means to me and I will return the favor if I can.

The seller lost a huge amount of money on this even not counting the insane shipping/import fees. The buyer is getting a great deal. That Gunmetal Diamond color is extremely rare, insanely expensive (for everyone, especially me) and now that its over I really hope to find one for myself one day.

Peace!
You're too kind, you design and fabricate a product and desire it so much that you want to buy it back from someone else. But I'm grateful you unleashed these gems upon the world, if I was 20% more impulsive, I'd probably have 3 or 4 of your cases right now...

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
So according to Zotac's website, the 1070 mini is about 210mm long. Meanwhile the interior of the S4 mini is about 203 mm long (according to the NFC website). I'm guessing its possible to shorten the card by ~7mm if you cut off the last bit of the shroud but it seems like itll a tight fit. Plus I'm not sure Zotac will take the card back if you have to RMA. If only, the Gigabyte 1070 had a better selection of ports.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
So according to Zotac's website, the 1070 mini is about 210mm long. Meanwhile the interior of the S4 mini is about 203 mm long (according to the NFC website). I'm guessing its possible to shorten the card by ~7mm if you cut off the last bit of the shroud but it seems like itll a tight fit. Plus I'm not sure Zotac will take the card back if you have to RMA. If only, the Gigabyte 1070 had a better selection of ports.
Yeah man, Gigabyte's 1070 really failed on the ports selection. Come on, 2 dvis?
I'm actually thinking to remove the whole cover+the fans, and replace it with a 120mmx12mm fan mounting on to the s4. That might provide even better cooling performance and I don't need to do much modding to the actual heatsink part.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Yeah man, Gigabyte's 1070 really failed on the ports selection. Come on, 2 dvis?
I'm actually thinking to remove the whole cover+the fans, and replace it with a 120mmx12mm fan mounting on to the s4. That might provide even better cooling performance and I don't need to do much modding to the actual heatsink part.
Definitely. I could deal with 2 HDMI's but DVI is a tad antiquated. That sounds a lot less destructive than sawing off part of the card. In that case, would you plug the new fan into the fan header on the GPU? Also how do you plan to mount the new fan?