S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's cool that you're considering bringing the S3 back. It's got a more raw and aggressive design that I feel some PC gamers would like. Maybe you can choose to make the ribbon cable optional now that they're easier to find for affordable prices.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Thanks for the question! This is a long story I can't tell fully tell right now, but here are the cliffnotes:

S3 vs S4

1.The S3 layout has superior horizontal cooling, the S4 layout has superior vertical cooling (the ribbon doesn't block the backside of the GPU)
2.I consider the S3 and S4 separate models. I hope to bring back the S3 someday...
3.Legal issues forced me to drop the S3 for a while; those are pretty much resolved now.
4.The S4's layout is easier for the end user to do a build in.
5.The custom ribbon for the S3 layout was _extremely_ expensive ($1400 for 25 MOQ). Now there are dozens of low-cost alternatives (HDPLEX).

Thanks for the reply!

Holy crap at that ribbon pricing! It's understandable a design that doesn't require a custom ribbon would eventually come to fruition!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
How about give users the option to flip the GPU in either direction with the S3 mini? Then they can either use a short ribbon for the GPU fan facing downwards, or a longer ribbon for facing upwards, in the same direction as the CPU cooler. The GPU retention tab can be screwed on to be installed facing in either direction.

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
Hey all,

Just some findings:

I've managed to put in a Gigabyte 1070 into the chassis. I know someone did it earlier, however it didn't take much modification for anything to fit.

Points to note:

1. The standard 6/8 pin PCIE for the GPU that comes with every HDPlex doesn't require any modification. You DO NOT need a low profile pin to get it in.
  2. The only modification i needed to make was to cut away one of the screwholders for the HDPlex power input, as the GPU board is in the way of it. using one screw to secure the socket doesn't in any affect the durability. It's still rock solid.

Hope this helps someone! I used a dremel to cut it off, easy 2 min job.

Cheers
Shaun

Reactions: kirin and MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The only modification i needed to make was to cut away one of the screwholders for the HDPlex power input, as the GPU board is in the way of it. using one screw to secure the socket doesn't in any affect the durability. It's still rock solid.
Well I've done the same on my S4 mini, only 1 screw used to hold the plug in...I feared it was not enough...but not at all..it's working great!

thanks for tip for Gigabyte GTX1070 integration in NFC S4 mini..:)

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
Hey all,

Just some findings:

I've managed to put in a Gigabyte 1070 into the chassis. I know someone did it earlier, however it didn't take much modification for anything to fit.

Points to note:

1. The standard 6/8 pin PCIE for the GPU that comes with every HDPlex doesn't require any modification. You DO NOT need a low profile pin to get it in.
  2. The only modification i needed to make was to cut away one of the screwholders for the HDPlex power input, as the GPU board is in the way of it. using one screw to secure the socket doesn't in any affect the durability. It's still rock solid.

Hope this helps someone! I used a dremel to cut it off, easy 2 min job.

Cheers
Shaun

Naw, one screw dont seem to secure to me....

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have one more method (I would consider an alternate method, rather than THE method) which I like because it allows for easy maintenance. I think I would use loc125's method for a show PC or my personal PC, but for systems I need to be responsible for and do graphics swaps often I simply took a pair of dikes and clipped out a cross in the back vents.

The DC Jack for the HDPLEX fits perfectly and allows you to easily take the GPU out. The plus side is everyone owns a pair of dikes and you just need electrical tape to wrap the DC Jack. The install looks fairly clean aside from the vacant DC cutout...but I will put a serial number sticker there...

As a side note the Gigabyte 1070 is actually an amazing card, and runs much cooler than the ASUS 970 from last gen. You will see I removed the front bezel and added some perforated aluminum plate, but I would say more most instances this wouldn't be necessary (but obviously greatly reduces temps). These will operate horizontally in a confined space for some shows, so I wanted to give them the edge. Gaming in my 80F room last night I averaged 65C for the GPU in WoW and 72C in Overwatch. The fans I think run too slow stock as well but it was so quiet I didn't want to mess with it, and those temps are GREAT! With the bezel on in the vertical position it was about 75/83C average.

(pardon the dust..forgot to clean before snapping pics)

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Love the blue!

The Gigabyte 1070 truly is an amazing card, apart from the height they really hit the nail on the head with this card and show that you don't need triple fan monsters to make a good all round and quiet GPU.

Out of curiosity what fan rpms and boost clocks were you getting in those different scenarios?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Love the blue!

The Gigabyte 1070 truly is an amazing card, apart from the height they really hit the nail on the head with this card and show that you don't need triple fan monsters to make a good all round and quiet GPU.

Out of curiosity what fan rpms and boost clocks were you getting in those different scenarios?

46% fan speed in wow pretty much constant over 2 hours. Core clock hovered around 1550 MHz.

in the new Furmark the core clock was about 1650 and the part temp was 73C with fan speed at 60%. GPU at 98% load (101.5% TDP)

Overwatch it got hotter because the CPU has to work so hard too (my theory).

Are those your new Skyrim Blue cases? Looks pretty nice.

Thanks! Skyreach blue. Unfortunately only 2 turned out flawless enough for sale, and one of them I'm not sure I will. So it will be pretty rare at 1 unit XD

Reactions: Soul_Est and K888D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That color, amazing ! Combined with an anodized-black aluminium front bezel, jummy. And the orange one, another favorite color.
In this forum I'm like a kid in a candy store that sees all those jummy things and "mom" (my conscience) tells me I can only have one :(

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Yeah, that's a super great color. Updated design is alright too though I really do love the bezel on the older ones.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, that's a super great color. Updated design is alright too though I really do love the bezel on the older ones.

To be clear the bezel is still there by default!!!! I just took it off for these two systems. What you are seeing is the chassis underwear. ;)

Nice idea for filling that gap. And that BLUE! Beautiful

Thanks!!!!!

Reactions: vluft

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That color combo is striking. Worthy of putting a Asrock X99 board for a truly potent system. I also like the added vents in the front.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah Josh, front vents allow a far better gpu cooling, especially for r9 nano...:)

Is it possible to order just the body?..:)

Reactions: Soul_Est