S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Oh, ok, yeah, that should fit in the S4 no problem! Don't need a low profile connector, but I am SUPER interested in this low profile adapter for oversized GPUs. Can you be a hero and link here?

Thanks!

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
Attached is a photo of the very low profile adapter installed which makes wider-profile cards usable. I accidentally bought the wrong 90 degree angle but it still solved my problem.

The adapter I bought was this one which is a 90 degree LEFT angle 6 pin extension cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251512333953?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The ideal one for my case or an S4 mini is the 90 degree RIGHT angle 6 pin extension cable like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-6-pin...178142?hash=item3d0de5f05e:g:EBoAAOSwLN5WjDMC

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I also have ridiculous standards of noise compared to most people so that does not sound to good to me. However there was a thread on SPCR and people gave it praise so I dont know.

Have you tried it in the S4 Mini?
Unfortunately I haven't since I don't have one yet.
But I do still have the fan, and once I get my hands on one of the cases I'll make sure to try it.
The problem I had with it was that at the time my build was all but inaudible, even at 100% load. I was running a 750ti passively, and wanted to get it away from it's 80C load temps, and tried adding the USV14, but when it ran at a really low speed it was audible. At it's default speed it wasn't that the motor was loud, it just moved too much air and made a whoooosh.
1. No :(
2. I'm not sure why they would, do you have a picture?
3. No! NOOOOOOOOO

I will try to order from them again, but I needed one quick so I bought a EVGA 1060 Mini SC.
Where were you trying to order from?
The heatsink on the inno3d looks a lot more competent than the heatsink EVGA/ZOTAC are using on their short 1060's.
Ok, it looks like iv'e done it, added my gigabyte gtx 1070 mini itx in my S4 with little to no modding .....will add pictures soon.
I can't like this hard enough, nor can I wait to see pictures!
You know you're going to have to give us all the details, right? :)

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
...and here's some pic's of the Gigabyte GTX 1070 installed in my S4

Last edited:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Aaaaand I'm sold on the 1070 mini.
As soon as I get my hands on an S4 I'll be pushing a picopsu to the limit.

Edit:
What kind of PSU are you planning to run, and what CPU is under that heatsink?

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016
Aaaaand I'm sold on the 1070 mini.
As soon as I get my hands on an S4 I'll be pushing a picopsu to the limit.

Edit:
What kind of PSU are you planning to run, and what CPU is under that heatsink?
im running the hdplex 250 with a voodoo 350w brick, intel i7 6700, with 16gb ram, samsung 512gb M.2 NVMe ssd (OS) and 1TB samsung SSD (games)

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
im running the hdplex 250 with a voodoo 350w brick, intel i7 6700, with 16gb ram, samsung 512gb M.2 NVMe ssd (OS) and 1TB samsung SSD (games)
Sounds awesome. :)
How are the temps with the L9I? (At least, that's what it looks like.)

I was thinking of trying to stretch a 160xt + the 192W adapter to run the 1070 with a 6700T, guess we'll see if that works out once I get an S4.

loc125

Caliper Novice
Jun 21, 2016

I was thinking of trying to stretch a 160xt + the 192W adapter to run the 1070 with a 6700T, guess we'll see if that works out once I get an S4.
well, i also have the 6700T, not to sure which to run in this system. temps were great when i had my GTX 970 installed.

You sir have just made me very excited, me definitely think my spec just jumped up abit.
just keep in mind, its NOT a plug and play install, you will have to do some modding to the power adapter for you to fit the GTX 1070.

TheWhiteWolves

Caliper Novice
Jul 28, 2016
well, i also have the 6700T, not to sure which to run in this system. temps were great when i had my GTX 970 installed.

just keep in mind, its NOT a plug and play install, you will have to do some modding to the power adapter for you to fit the GTX 1070.

modding the power adapter is fine, I was more concerned about the s4 case, I don't want to damage it, other things, especially the electronics are easy.

Especially if you let us all know how you went about it. :D

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016

The 160XT + 192W is just enough for a 6700T and 1060. I'm not comfortable running constantly at 185-188 Watts. My gut feel is that the 1070 will just draw too much power that you'll either have to power limit the card...or use a HDPLEX.

Reactions: Curiosity

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The 160XT + 192W is just enough for a 6700T and 1060. I'm not comfortable running constantly at 185-188 Watts. My gut feel is that the 1070 will just draw too much power that you'll either have to power limit the card...or use a HDPLEX.

Yeah it is too much. It already is pegging it with the 1060 SC.

Got a 1070 on order now and will figure it out. Thanks for taking one for the team, loc125!

Reactions: Curiosity

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah it is too much. It already is pegging it with the 1060 SC.

Got a 1070 on order now and will figure it out. Thanks for taking one for the team, loc125!

On topic of the S4, mine finally arrived at the office back home -- can't wait for next Friday evening!

Shaun

Chassis Packer
Apr 23, 2016
I was thinking of doing exactly that with the Cryorig C7 (32mm heatsink) and the 140mm Cryorig XT140 (13mm). Judging from vluft's build 45mm is the absolute maximum with the fan touching the side panel so the setup might just be possible.

So the C7 (with it's own fan) doesn't fit the case as you probably already know, hence the XT. The XT whilst seemingly fit in 120mm brackets, DOES NOT fit into Josh's 120mm fan bracket due to the bracket's angled "holders" that are bent at 90 degrees on both sides. So there are two ways to get around this:

1) Modify Josh's fan bracket by either cutting/bending the angled "holders" to make the entire bracket one flat piece, or,
2) Use a dremel and shave away the portion of the Fan that gets in the way of point 1 above.

Honestly I think it's too much trouble, and the best bet is just stick to Scythe slim fans, they work great. In fact, even without an extra fan, the CPU area is usually not too warm and can do without the extra fan. Then it's just a toss up if you think the extra fan will sufficiently cool the pico/HDPlex/bits of the GPU, but in my experience, the GPU, together with the long HDPlex cables, PCIE connector AND it's own shroud, is almost fully compartmentalized in it's own little section of the case, and any air from the fans don't help it that much.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
If you've compared the two, would you say the 6700T is worth getting over the 6700K for lower temps?
When I tested a 3570S against a K the 12W difference didn't seem to change much, but I imagine halving the TDP would be a notable change.

The mod on the connector doesn't look too hard from what I can see, I'm still excited to try my hand at this.
I'm really drawn to the cleanliness of the pico psu, but you guys are right.

Last edited:
Reactions: flacman