S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
So I assume that Zotac's 1060AMP! won't fit?
Listed length is 210mm/ 8.27in.

Last edited:

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
What are you guys opinion on fitting a 140mm slim fan in the S4 mini over the cpu/motherboard? As far as I know there are at least two good solutions available: Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm (15mm width) and Thermalright TY-14013 (13mm width). Both have 120mm mounting holes. A cpu cooler like the Thermolab LP53 without heatsink fan or maybe even the Cryorig C7 could be fitted in the case. Both fans are pwm controlled meaning that it would work better while using the cpu fan header compared with a voltage controlled fan. It might also allow for quieter operation as well.

Obviously there could be clearance concerns that I am not aware about. Thoughts?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So I assume that Zotac's 1060AMP! won't fit?
Listed length is 210mm/ 8.27in.

8" (203mm) is the absolute max. If you can use the EVGA or inno3D fit very nicely right now. That picture has some distortion from the lens being too close to the card--it is possible with the shroud trimmed or removed that it could fit. If the shroud is designed to do its job there could be a performance hit, but these days it seems some manufacturers use the shroud for fan protection and to look cool.

What are you guys opinion on fitting a 140mm slim fan in the S4 mini over the cpu/motherboard? As far as I know there are at least two good solutions available: Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm (15mm width) and Thermalright TY-14013 (13mm width). Both have 120mm mounting holes. A cpu cooler like the Thermolab LP53 without heatsink fan or maybe even the Cryorig C7 could be fitted in the case. Both fans are pwm controlled meaning that it would work better while using the cpu fan header compared with a voltage controlled fan. It might also allow for quieter operation as well.

Obviously there could be clearance concerns that I am not aware about. Thoughts?

My main concern is that a fan produces the most pressure towards the tips of its blades. When you use a 140mm fan you move that pressure to the outside, and don't transfer it to the center where you might really need it. Of course you never know how it will work until you test it because of how the air can bounce around, but my hypothesis is that a 140mm fan with the same CFM spec as a 120mm fan will cool a GPU less effectively in the S4 Mini's GPU bay. Ideally two 80mm fans side by side would be the most effective...but not necessarily the most efficient.

As for fitment, you might run into clearance issues between the motherboard/riser and fan. I'll look at this later in the week but right now my office is being redone to prepare for the S4 Mini launch.

Reactions: Curiosity

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
[...]My main concern is that a fan produces the most pressure towards the tips of its blades. When you use a 140mm fan you move that pressure to the outside, and don't transfer it to the center where you might really need it. Of course you never know how it will work until you test it because of how the air can bounce around, but my hypothesis is that a 140mm fan with the same CFM spec as a 120mm fan will cool a GPU less effectively in the S4 Mini's GPU bay. Ideally two 80mm fans side by side would be the most effective...but not necessarily the most efficient.

As for fitment, you might run into clearance issues between the motherboard/riser and fan. I'll look at this later in the week but right now my office is being redone to prepare for the S4 Mini launch.

Thanks for your input Josh. That is certainly a point to consider. I guess it will also depend where the cpu socket is placed on the motherboard in question. A good 140mm fan would without doubt move a good amount of air potentially cooling the gpu-area as well. Especially with the case in the horizontal position without any case feet.

Another point that would need to be considered is the distance between the heatsink and the fan. Turbulence could maybe be a problem? Also if the distance between heatsink and fan is to great cooling might be inadequate.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
IMO the Ultra sleek vortex is kind of loud, but I have ridiculous standards, so take my opinion with a big ol' rock of salt.

8" (203mm) is the absolute max. If you can use the EVGA or inno3D fit very nicely right now. That picture has some distortion from the lens being too close to the card--it is possible with the shroud trimmed or removed that it could fit. If the shroud is designed to do its job there could be a performance hit, but these days it seems some manufacturers use the shroud for fan protection and to look cool.
That's what I figured, but it doesn't hurt to ask, thanks for clarifying. :)
I still might try to fit the gigabyte 1060/70 mini in just to see if I can. If I do I'll have to try to find it in a microcenter or frys to make the probable return easier.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm sure you could just cut off everything back to the screws and plate just distal to the furthest heat pipe back : )

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Thanks for your input Josh. That is certainly a point to consider. I guess it will also depend where the cpu socket is placed on the motherboard in question. A good 140mm fan would without doubt move a good amount of air potentially cooling the gpu-area as well. Especially with the case in the horizontal position without any case feet.

Another point that would need to be considered is the distance between the heatsink and the fan. Turbulence could maybe be a problem? Also if the distance between heatsink and fan is to great cooling might be inadequate.

I have a 120mm slapped on top of heatsink and fwiw that works fine. Mine is relatively high static pressure though which would be lower on a 140. Also touching both the heatsink and the case edge - the former is ideal obviously, the latter introduces a (very slight, can't hear it unless I'm trying) whine. Does get some airflow over the mobo components &c. If you could with CPU socket positioning, positioning it so one side of your fan is aligned with one side of the heatsink would probably get maximum airflow possible through the heatsink, I'd think.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
I have a bit of an odd request/suggestion!

Do you think it's possible to compile every build of the s4 mini with configurations, layouts and components used along with respective photos to help decode some of the mystery around the chassis?

It would also serve very well as an itinerary of compatible parts! I'm only suggesting this as I am currently overhauling my components on my chassis and I'must looking at ways too make it as quiet as possible. Having a database of passed builds and compitiable (an functional) solutions would be awesome?

An S4 wiki/Archive

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It is a super fantastic idea!

I have to confess I don't have the time right now; maybe when I am able to transition full time to the S4 Mini project. And by full time I mean full time.

There is always the sketchup model, which I could further refine, and maybe save some loadouts?

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016

I was thinking of doing exactly that with the Cryorig C7 (32mm heatsink) and the 140mm Cryorig XT140 (13mm). Judging from vluft's build 45mm is the absolute maximum with the fan touching the side panel so the setup might just be possible.

It is a super fantastic idea!

I have to confess I don't have the time right now; maybe when I am able to transition full time to the S4 Mini project. And by full time I mean full time.

There is always the sketchup model, which I could further refine, and maybe save some loadouts?
A more refined sketchup model would be of so much help if you have the time to do that!

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
IMO the Ultra sleek vortex is kind of loud, but I have ridiculous standards, so take my opinion with a big ol' rock of salt.

I also have ridiculous standards of noise compared to most people so that does not sound to good to me. However there was a thread on SPCR and people gave it praise so I dont know.

Have you tried it in the S4 Mini?

I have a 120mm slapped on top of heatsink and fwiw that works fine. Mine is relatively high static pressure though which would be lower on a 140. Also touching both the heatsink and the case edge - the former is ideal obviously, the latter introduces a (very slight, can't hear it unless I'm trying) whine. Does get some airflow over the mobo components &c. If you could with CPU socket positioning, positioning it so one side of your fan is aligned with one side of the heatsink would probably get maximum airflow possible through the heatsink, I'd think.

Yes that was my idea. Probably will give it a go. I took a look at your build, looks nice! With a Dynatron T318 and a 18mm thick fan is the fan touching the heatsink? The dynatron is listed as 27mm high so the total would than be around 45mm.

Edit:

makiasd said:
I was thinking of doing exactly that with the Cryorig C7 (32mm heatsink) and the 140mm Cryorig XT140 (13mm). Judging from vluft's build 45mm is the absolute maximum with the fan touching the side panel so the setup might just be possible.

Please let me know if you do. Would be interesting to hear how it works out.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I also have ridiculous standards of noise compared to most people so that does not sound to good to me. However there was a thread on SPCR and people gave it praise so I dont know.

I recently got a Thermaltake Luna 14 Slim, its much quieter than the Prolimatech Vortex, but it doesn't move as much air!

The Luna has 140mm mounting hole positions, not sure if that makes a difference?

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

My main concern is that a fan produces the most pressure towards the tips of its blades. When you use a 140mm fan you move that pressure to the outside, and don't transfer it to the center where you might really need it. Of course you never know how it will work until you test it because of how the air can bounce around, but my hypothesis is that a 140mm fan with the same CFM spec as a 120mm fan will cool a GPU less effectively in the S4 Mini's GPU bay. Ideally two 80mm fans side by side would be the most effective...but not necessarily the most efficient.

Josh,
Some questions for you....
Were you able to order the inno3D cards before they sold out?
If you were able to test them do they fit without needing a special adapter for the 6pin power cable?
Did you get your free bag of candy from the seller?

*I just ordered my 16mm momentary switch. All of my parts are ready.
When all is said and done I should be able to have a sub-$1,000 complete gaming build in the S4 with a GTX 1060 Card.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Yes that was my idea. Probably will give it a go. I took a look at your build, looks nice! With a Dynatron T318 and a 18mm thick fan is the fan touching the heatsink? The dynatron is listed as 27mm high so the total would than be around 45mm.

Yup, fan's touching heatsink & side of case. Any more height at all and I'd be pretty concerned about pressure being applied to CPU by heatsink being pushed against it so I'd say that's pretty much the hard max. could probably use to shave a bit off of mine, to be honest.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
1. No :(
2. I'm not sure why they would, do you have a picture?
3. No! NOOOOOOOOO

I will try to order from them again, but I needed one quick so I bought a EVGA 1060 Mini SC.

1. So sad.
2. Photo attached with standard connector.
3. Gummy candies, you missed out!

Again, you can borrow mine if you'd like, and I can re-install my 750ti or just wait and I'll put it in an S4 eventually myself.
The problem I have is with my case and there not being enough room for a standard 6pin connector. A modified low profile right angle connector from e-Bay fixed the issue. Attached is an image of the card. I think your case has more space on the sides so it "should" be fine.