S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Have you got any pictures of where you have placed/mounted the AC-DC? If not, if you can describe where you have mounted it that’ll be great too?

you're confusing me.

if you want to use it attached to the case, that won't work.

if you want to use it as an external AC brick, which is not attached to the case, then i answered " yes " ,that i'm planning on doing that.

planning = future tense

also, if you're really serious about getting it inside, i'm trying to get a 70.5mm tall, 5L version made on indiegogo.

Last edited:

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
That's what i mean lol, using it instead of the DELL power brick but my concren was the cable length hence why i mentioned about if it was possible to attach nearer to the case

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
That's what i mean lol, using it instead of the DELL power brick but my concren was the cable length hence why i mentioned about if it was possible to attach nearer to the case

would you be interested in a 500W external brick, where its cable length was adjustable ?

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
would you be interested in a 500W external brick, where its cable length was adjustable ?
Possibly, was thinking of using Velcro or double sided tape to attach the HD PlEX AC-DC if the cable was not long enough to lay flat, the cable will be sticking out of the case I know and probably won’t look pretty but it’s the only option I can think of at the moment. Any ideas?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Possibly, was thinking of using Velcro or double sided tape to attach the HD PlEX AC-DC if the cable was not long enough to lay flat, the cable will be sticking out of the case I know and probably won’t look pretty but it’s the only option I can think of at the moment. Any ideas?

yes.

a better idea.

a bigger S4 Mini.

Last edited:

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Getting "dusty" in the S4M Classic thread, but I thought I'd post a quick update on GFX compatibility with older HDplex power inlets.
I unwrapped my trusty S4M-C for a quick build to play Mudrunner with my kids since I got some cheap parts from an outlet.

I can conmfirm that the Asus branded Phoenix 1660 & 1660Ti cards work in the chassis without hacking into the case or the power inlet of the HDplex 160W/400W units. It is a very tight fit but they just happen to line up.

I'll add some pics of the install later on, the barrel plug fits snugly and you can tighten both bolts on the power inlet.
I don't think this works with the newer round shaped screw lock connector from HDplex, not enough room.

Just a FYI if there's still people rocking the S4M-C ?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Seems awfully quiet here these days. ????

Almost 2 years since I had my classic.

My hdplex 160W brick was busted, larry gave me a new one (shhh.. it's actually a 200W unit in old 160W enclosure) for very cheap - great guy, always. Installed it couple days ago with no issues.

Now that I have an extra 40W headroom... thinking of an upgrade to 1650 lp lol. Not that I need it...

/rant

I officially hate imperial screws. This 6-32 panel screws to be precise. They never, I repeat, never, goes in right the first time. You kinda felt it after the first couple turns then yeah, uh huh, need to resit that again... every effing time. Then you'd have this sinking feeling that you'd ruined your threads - and the silent acknowledgement of the depressing fact that these flat low profile head screws cannot be found anywhere else on the planet.

rant/

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
/rant

I officially hate imperial screws. This 6-32 panel screws to be precise. They never, I repeat, never, goes in right the first time. You kinda felt it after the first couple turns then yeah, uh huh, need to resit that again... every effing time. Then you'd have this sinking feeling that you'd ruined your threads - and the silent acknowledgement of the depressing fact that these flat low profile head screws cannot be found anywhere else on the planet.

rant/

yeah, that ended up being the fate of my s4m-c... It's still sitting there, sad, because I don't have enough unstripped screws left to get the side to stay on. Though I wouldn't really have a use for it these days regardless as I'm off in matx land now.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Seems awfully quiet here these days. ????

Almost 2 years since I had my classic.

My hdplex 160W brick was busted, larry gave me a new one (shhh.. it's actually a 200W unit in old 160W enclosure) for very cheap - great guy, always. Installed it couple days ago with no issues.

Now that I have an extra 40W headroom... thinking of an upgrade to 1650 lp lol. Not that I need it...

May I know what caused your HDPLEX 160W brick busted? Is this the internal HDPLEX AC-DC unit btw?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
May I know what caused your HDPLEX 160W brick busted? Is this the internal HDPLEX AC-DC unit btw?
Yes it's internal. I've no idea what exactly caused it. Granted I've been running it with 180W load when gaming no problem, idle at 50, regular use at 80-120W.

One day after I fiddled with something inside thw I plugged it in and it just went 'pop'. Some troubleshootings later I opened up the brick and the center of the board was toasted black. Some IC was the center of it.

I ran my pc with a big, random 200W brick from local hardware store jerry rigged outside the case for about 2 months until replacement from larry arrived.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
yeah, that ended up being the fate of my s4m-c... It's still sitting there, sad, because I don't have enough unstripped screws left to get the side to stay on. Though I wouldn't really have a use for it these days regardless as I'm off in matx land now.
If you just have stripped screws, I reckon using these:

With flathead screws common in the market would look just as good.

Stripped thread OTOH... SOL

Reactions: Curiosity

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yes it's internal. I've no idea what exactly caused it. Granted I've been running it with 180W load when gaming no problem, idle at 50, regular use at 80-120W.

One day after I fiddled with something inside thw I plugged it in and it just went 'pop'. Some troubleshootings later I opened up the brick and the center of the board was toasted black. Some IC was the center of it.

I ran my pc with a big, random 200W brick from local hardware store jerry rigged outside the case for about 2 months until replacement from larry arrived.

Thanks. Just wondering if it's caused by temperature.

I'm interested to try HDPLEX AC-DC.. but per my understanding, these units don't have a fan on their own, right?

Thus, I have my concerns using them in non-aircon place in tropical country.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks. Just wondering if it's caused by temperature.

I'm interested to try HDPLEX AC-DC.. but per my understanding, these units don't have a fan on their own, right?

Thus, I have my concerns using them in non-aircon place in tropical country.

Not on the 200W, but there is a 40 mm fan on the 400W.

Mine was thermal double taped to the bezel, at load it is warm but not as hot as the 24 pin plugin dynamo. I measured 60 centigrade on it.

I'm moving back to my tropical home country next week actually, will be bringing the classic so I'll def tell if I bust another one!

Reactions: ignsvn

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The MINI is switch to metric screws now because of y'alls requests. :)

For your current S4M-C, you can retap to M4 if it interests you? Just a suggestion. :)

Peace

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I know nothing at all about tapping threads, is that possible? Retapping 6-32 to M4?

Ah you mean m4... for some reason my brain was thinking m3... but that means all screw holes on the side panel also needs to be enlarged a bit, no?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not on the 200W, but there is a 40 mm fan on the 400W.

Mine was thermal double taped to the bezel, at load it is warm but not as hot as the 24 pin plugin dynamo. I measured 60 centigrade on it.

I'm moving back to my tropical home country next week actually, will be bringing the classic so I'll def tell if I bust another one!

I definitely wish nothing will happen. But if something happens do let us know.

Also, look forward to see how the new 200W unit performs. Any plan to upgrade your build (as per your signature.. you are using RX550 at the moment, right)?