S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Very nice! I kinda like those low profile screws on the orange.

Also, great work on your FAQ video. You mentioned that you don't use 5052 aluminum. What do you use? I used 5052-H32 on the L3, which seems to be what most manufacturers use for sheet metal bending.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I went back to find where I said that..and yeah I come across as taking a pot shot at the alloy...but what I really meant to say its not bargain bin 5052. The cheap stuff doesn't laser cut well and I wanted that option for customization. I use 5052 and 6061 in the chassis, to more directly answer your question.

I used aircraft aluminum for the S3 Elite and it was insanely expensive being how hard it was to work with and I wanted super smooth brushed lines and bends without cracks. I probably wont be doing that again. :)

Reactions: Lone

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Guys I made a video about building out an S4 Mini. I cover some important things, such as

- Build Order (Don't get halfway through and realize you need to take something out to install another something )
- Oversized GPUs (not as dramatic as the Asus 970 though)
- NFC Systems Ribbon Cable install (you need technique to make it easy, or it's really hard!)
- Panel Bolt patterns
- HD Plex install and differences between Pico PSU
-Much more!

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That sexy orange powder coat still looks amazing ! It's a nice touch that you made this video, a good addition to your wonderful product.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
Do you have an image showing where exactly are the additional holes for the HDplex mounting?
Even f we ask for that option, the side panel will stay clean, right?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Do you have an image showing where exactly are the additional holes for the HDplex mounting?
Even f we ask for that option, the side panel will stay clean, right?

Hey Pazoo, thanks for your question. I'm not quite sure what you mean, so I will try to cover everything! I apologize in advance for the bad photos and dirty chassis--they are my personal boxes for experimenting with.

This is what the stock chassis interior with no mods looks like. You can see four of the five metal studs holding the inner chassis to the outer wrap-around bezel. These are not visible from the front:

If these are left in, the HDPLEX will ride on the two middle ones, and you can't use Velcro or double sided 3M tape to secure it unless they are removed:

This is what the stock cutout for the Pico PSU (and other DC Pin with single nut connectors):

If you order the free HDPLEX mod, I will punch out an addition hole:

As iFrielicht pointed out, I should have done this before I got them manufactured. And I agree. It is what it is...

Thanks for your interest!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking the studs were pressed into the front plate so I was wondering when you said to remove them in the video if you meant knocking them off with a hammer or something.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That instructional video was very interesting, thanks for posting that! I feel that the S4 Mini shares the common problem of a complicated installation procedure with other SFF chassis, but no user should have a problem doing it correctly after watching that video.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Recently built inside the case and wanted to share my experience. Firstly, WATCH THAT VIDEO. And follow it to the tee. First thing I tried to do was use thick foam mounting tape on the HDPlex psu over the screw nuts, and this nearly damaged both it and my Maximus VI Impact mobo due to clearance issues. Also forgot to put in the SSD bracket once in and had to disassemble the entire rig to do so.

Also, if you guys get the chance I recommend using 3M dual lock velcro for the psu mounting. Finally, if you ever need to remove the plex psu, unscrew the front panel from the mobo tray and pull them apart a bit for some headroom. Don't risk the pins on your motherboard or that beautiful paintjob

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very clean, great job!

Now if only Noctua would make fans in more reasonable colors.