S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've got a quick question. Why did you opt for the flexible PCIe riser?
Going by the layout a dual rigid riser might have worked just as well and a much lower cost, even if you have 1 extra PCIe socket, the amount of PCBs is the same and you don't have the problem with flexible cable and shielding, although with your engineering that shouldn't pose a problem anymore ;).
Any specific reason?

Silverstone has a similar setup in the RVZ02 where they have a right angle PCIe riser and and PCIe extender.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It makes installation a LOT easier. I'd also say you get a bit more tolerance when placing the card, you can change the position by a few mms without having to redesign the riser.
The riser looks a lot like the one I've got from LiHeat, so you don't have to worry about shielding yourself, they've got that down pretty good.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I experimented with a rigid setup for the better part of a year. It has advantages, but in the end the ribbon was my choice.

A. It saves space to use a ribbon. The RVZ02 isn't comparable in size to the S4 even if they designed it for 8" cards.
B. iFreilicht's post...especially in that if I made minor changes I wouldn't have to redesign everything and be locked into the PCB. If I make an update to the S4 between runs I don't have to sweat it. Now if I had _YOUR_ engineering skills, this wouldn't be a problem ;)
C. The ribbon should offer better performance (more of a bullet point as I doubt most users would be able to tell in every day uses).

I might go rigid in the future, but for the S4, I think the ribbon makes sense.

Last edited:

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Pulled the trigger on a pre-order, think I'm going to replace my AXP100 with an ITX30, but looks like NCIX still has the CNPS2X in stock.

BTW, I ordered a one from NCIX US (Canadian Link) a couple days ago - it's listed at $29.99, and came in at just under $42 after shipping and tax. Note, it was in stock and mine shipped on the 26th, but it's showing as out of stock in the US now. Hopefully it'll do an adequate job with cooling a 4790K, if not I'll switch to the NH-L9i, but shaving off 300g in weight is pretty appealing.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Also I don't think I can say this enough times, but the main reason I like the CNPS2x is that it is short enough you can fit the Scythe 12mm fan in the chassis over the whole motherboard, and with it's omni fin designed it combos quite nicely.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Funny thing is, I saw a user review where someone actually expected it to cool a 120W CPU quietly because Zalman claims that is the maximum TDP it can handle. :D

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
This might seem like a weird question but would it be possible to get a case but without any power coating or finishes? I was doing some exploring on some aluminum cases/various finishes and I stumbled upon a couple pictures of a S3 case "unfinished." It's one of the sexiest cases I've ever seen. If it's not possible, that's alright. I'll find another way to incorporate the black "stock" coating into my desk.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This might seem like a weird question but would it be possible to get a case but without any power coating or finishes? I was doing some exploring on some aluminum cases/various finishes and I stumbled upon a couple pictures of a S3 case "unfinished." It's one of the sexiest cases I've ever seen. If it's not possible, that's alright. I'll find another way to incorporate the black "stock" coating into my desk.

Thanks, yeah, I would really like to have been able to order some unfinished, but the run was too small. It makes it much easier for me when I do the luxury paintjobs on them...as I need to sandblast them all now.

Sorry. :(

Though you gave me an idea to strip the paint of the exterior panels and rebrush them...leave the black on the inside with brushed outside. Could look nice...

Reactions: MJVR1

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Though you gave me an idea to strip the paint of the exterior panels and rebrush them...leave the black on the inside with brushed outside. Could look nice...

I don't know much about powercoating, but wouldn't that make the coating more susceptible to chipping off? Or isn't that a thing with powder coats?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So if you scrape of the coat at one point, there would be an edge where the coat and the bare material meet, right? At that edge, the coat could be chipped off just with your fingernail, right? I think that's how it works with lake, but powder coating could be different.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Yes, once a powder coat is compromised by a cut, it is very easy for the exposed edge between coat and metal to separate and have the coating start to flake off. This is normally an issue with rust or oxide coatings forming and mechanically loosening the powder coat. Powder coating Aluminium involved disrupting, removing or otherwise penetrating the oxide layer, so exposing bare Aluminium at the edge of the coating allows oxide to form and thicken.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Oh that's what you mean. I think with some powders on AL that would be possible, as EdZ described...certainly would occur with steel...but I wasn't suggesting that anyways...it would look terrible!

I mean physically stripping all the powder from the exterior panels though an acid bath or sandblasting, then brushing the panels as another custom option. They could be polished or clearcoated as well to prevent oxidization, which honestly on the alloys im using is less of a problem than dust, and solved the same way. :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Copypasta:

Some more custom powdercoats we did last week. I have some photos...but they are almost impossible to photograph...I couldn't capture the IRL look and color shifting effects.

This is a two stage chameleon orange (high gloss metallic that shifts from orange to safety yellow)

This one is probably my new favorite. Ultra-durable teflon wrinkle that appears as a dark grey or light black in most light, but shifts to a navy blue with a metallic highlight. Hence the name "Navy Velure Wrinkle:"

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Wow, just....wow. The orange and black is... A work of art. Amazing job you and your team did. If you ever do a purple powder coating, some pictures would be nice. Although I already pre ordered one, I have some future plans for a purple themes build.

Reactions: Redivulpis

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The orange one looks amazing ! I'd also be interested in purple, I recently have discovered new love for indigo and a shade off of ultra-violet towards blue.