S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
She fits like a glove! Now I need to clean up the Jags and paint it a little to cover the silver and put a vent plate and she will be good as new!

Could have just gone with one of these...

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

excuse the potato quality but it's a double thick wraparound bezel
interesting, did you source it seom a 3rd party using Josh's files or did Josh sell you a custom super-thick bezel? Is it like that for a reason? is it like being used as a heatsink? :)

Also....
Hey @Josh | NFC How much would you charge me, to send my S4M-C side panel to you, so you can install 9/10 skyslots on it, on the CPU 8-PIN side? I'd like to be the first (if not the first) S4M-C customer to have skyslots on ALL 4 sides!

I'm liking how your S4M has the skyslots on ALL the sides... but I dont like how you cant sit it vertically without it blocking off one of the 4 sides of vented slyslots. So I'm thinking, once I install my original wrap around bezel and am satisfied with it, i'll swap my vertical orientation so the CPU is on the top and the GPU is on the bottom, and then with the added skyslots on the 8-pin CPU side, maybe I'll get an added or noticable drop in degrees C from it?

Maybe you could make it a new feature you could sell on your site, for those S4M-C customers who want to lengthen the life of their S4M-C but cant quite afford a new S4M or cant afford to build a new rig in one, or more their current rig over?

Should I just email you? ;)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
interesting, did you source it seom a 3rd party using Josh's files or did Josh sell you a custom super-thick bezel? Is it like that for a reason? is it like being used as a heatsink? :)

Also....
Hey @Josh | NFC How much would you charge me, to send my S4M-C side panel to you, so you can install skyslots on it?! on the CPU 8-PIN side? I'd like to be the first (if not the first) S4M-C customer to have skyslots on ALL 4 sides!

I'm liking how your S4M has the skyslots on ALL the sides... but I dont like how you cant sit it vertically without it blocking off one of the 4 sides of vented slyslots. So I'm thinking, once I install my original wrap around bezel and am satisfied with it, i'll swap my vertical orientation so the CPU is on the top and the GPU is on the bottom, and then with the added skyslots on the 8-pin CPU side, maybe I'll get an added or noticable drop in degrees C from it?

Should I just email you? ;)

All MINIs have SkySlots on the sides. Not sure what you are talking about, unless you mean the bezel. I can't machine SkySlots in the S4M-C wrap-around bezel because the gantry/spindle would crash with the bezel pointed up, and with it pointed down in a jig, I would need an insanely high Z axis.

This is one of the reasons for moving to the 2D bezel, btw.

Sorry :(

P.S....I sent you another silver grade A bezel. If you haven't gotten that yet then something with your address is wrong, and I am out of bezels now. :|

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
All MINIs have SkySlots on the sides. Not sure what you are talking about, unless you mean the bezel. I can't machine SkySlots in the S4M-C wrap-around bezel because the gantry/spindle would crash with the bezel pointed up, and with it pointed down in a jig, I would need an insanely high Z axis.

This is one of the reasons for moving to the 2D bezel, btw.

Sorry :(

P.S....I sent you another silver grade A bezel. If you haven't gotten that yet then something with your address is wrong, and I am out of bezels now. :|
Dang, @Josh | NFC , let me make sure we're talking about the same panel... I'm talking about if you can put skyslots on this side I'm pointing at with my finger, if so I'll gladly send it your way and pay whatever price (for real) WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR SKYSLOTS ON THAT SIDE XD:

P.S. Yeah I got that Silder Grade A bezel, i posted about it earlier (oh wow thanks, i thought i ordered a grade C). i'm waiting to do the 1080mini fan mod to post pics of it. Thanks for the mounting screws bro! You're the best!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ahhh...

No, I really couldn't because of the shape. And even if I could they would be silver on the inside. I could hand trim out a hole (would be quite tricky) and design a custom vent plate with SkySlots though. I think it would be about $50 for the hole and $50 for the 3D and machine time for standard materials, and then material cost. You can use that quote and see if it makes better sense for someone in your area to do it.

Peace my friend

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Dang, @Josh | NFC , let me make sure we're talking about the same panel... I'm talking about if you can put skyslots on this side I'm pointing at with my finger, if so I'll gladly send it your way and pay whatever price (for real) WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR SKYSLOTS ON THAT SIDE XD:

P.S. Yeah I got that Silder Grade A bezel, i posted about it earlier (oh wow thanks, i thought i ordered a grade C). i'm waiting to do the 1080mini fan mod to post pics of it. Thanks for the mounting screws bro! You're the best!

if you are willin to pay a premium i could model that up for you, have it cut and bent and then shipped to you. To answer your question about the bezel, I had it custom bent by a metal shop so I could fit a zotac 1080 in there with a little recess while still preserving the wraparound look. 130 ton press for 3/8" aluminum

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Ahhh...

No, I really couldn't because of the shape. And even if I could they would be silver on the inside. I could hand trim out a hole (would be quite tricky) and design a custom vent plate with SkySlots though. I think it would be about $50 for the hole and $50 for the 3D and machine time for standard materials, and then material cost. You can use that quote and see if it makes better sense for someone in your area to do it.

Peace my friend
So $100 bucks for a hole on that "8-pin CPU side" of the side-panel... with a vent plate with skyslots? If you can make it match my GPU AND NFC vent plate dinoc material (shows below)... then we're talking:

Let me know @Josh | NFC if i should move this to email or PM's. :D Getting these skyslots will truly make my #193 S4M-C one of a kind, when it comes to construction, and the #1 S4M-C when it comes to lowest CPU temps possible due to the added custom ventilation.

if you are willin to pay a premium i could model that up for you, have it cut and bent and then shipped to you. To answer you question about the bezel, I had it custom bent by a metal shop so I could fit a zotac 1080 in there with a little recess while still preserving the wraparound look. 130 ton press for 3/8" aluminum
A premium, okay im listening, How much? (you can PM me if you like @slimjim) And you mean for a whole custom side panel with the skylots on it already, or having the skyslots cut into my current one? Idk if it'll look the same at my current side panel... because I'm really just looking to have the skyslots added to my current side panel... :(

Oh and thanks for the answer on your wrap around bezel, cool to see you got it custom cut to fit the 1080 mini.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
It would have to be a whole new panel and it would be a giant PITA
oh dang... welp yeah then thats not an option for me. I'd like to keep my current side panel at all costs. :( Hopefully Josh and I can strike up a plan/deal! :D Because if so then, welcome to the City of "Lowest S4M-C CPU temps"... Population = ME!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
For testing GPU temperature, you'll want a good methodology to get any meaningful data. For example, I've found excellent repeatability by doing the following:

First establish a baseline. Launch Unigine Heaven (extreme preset) and find a taxing scene by cycling through them with the enter key, then pause it with the space bar. Note the scene you paused at and use this for all future testing. This ensures a consistent load. We don't want the GPU boosting all over the place so let the GPU warm up and use MSI Afterburner to lock the voltage and frequency to your target values (Ctrl+F, click the desired point, and then press L). Write these values down and use them for all future tests. Set the GPU fan speed to a fixed value (you may want to test several fixed RPMs, but do just one at a time). Now let the GPU temperature reach steady state and record it. If you have a decent temperature sensor, also record the ambient, but don't sweat it if you don't. For best results, use the delta value for comparisons.

Now you can start investigating a test variable. That can be different fans, different thermal paste or liquid metal, lower voltage, etc. Pick one and repeat the above procedure.

The reason I went through all of that is because there's wildly inaccurate information online about the benefits of liquid metal, especially on GPUs. In reality, it's the reduction of the gap between the CPU die and heatspreader that contributes to most of the temperature drop when delidding -- not the liquid metal. What does this have to do with GPUs? Well, the bare GPU die is already right up against the GPU heatsink. You'll only see a large temperature drop with liquid metal if the stock thermal paste had poor coverage. In my tests with the 1080 Ti Mini, liquid metal only reduced temperatures by 3-4°C (all other variables held constant). By comparison, undervolting reduced temperatures by 9-10°C (all other variables held constant). There is also a risk of shorting if the liquid metal is applied incorrectly so careful prep work and masking of small board components is recommended.

With all that said, I think you should still go for it. :)
okay im doing some stock temp and load tests on the 1080 mini tonight and was wanting a little refreshed on that voltage locking feature and how it worked exactly. I kinda get lost when i hit CTRL+F and the voltage and frequency graph comes up. how does votlage lock work and how exactly do i go about undervolting the GPU properly?

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
No problem! I don't have a mic set up right now, but hopefully the captions are straight forward enough. :thumb:
oh yeah, they are TOTALLY straightforward. So with the voltage locked the GPU will probably stay hot eh? I have mine on that performance mode wheere it downclocks while idle to lower its temps dramatically...

And the undervolt setup... thats really interesting! so the stock voltages are the ones on the curve by default? why is it when you mess with that curve that it adjusts the Core OC? I thought that was the voltage curve? Like can i have a Core OC WHILE ALSO being undervolted?

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
If you lock the voltage the GPU should stay at a high clock when idle, so don't use that for day to day use (or undervolting).

In past generations, "Core OC" would just apply a constant value, but with modern Nvidia GPUs it's always applying an offset to the voltage/frequency curves. You can see this behavior by adjusting the Core OC slider with the V/F curve editor window open. You'll notice the curve moving up and down. Undervolting while keeping the same or slightly higher frequency is essentially what you've described.

Edit: A good read on this subject.
okay i wont apply a voltage lock, since i have that mode, thanks!

Ah i see so in old generations the Core OC applied a core clock value but now its an offset to the voltage/frequency curves... that you can EDIT in that CTRL+F screen, oh i get it! sweet, thanks for the read.

Last edited: