S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
whats so great about the liquid metal paste? is it electrically conductive?

Yes to the second question. For the first, I can only tell you that real world results seem to indicate much better performance than the regular non-metal stuff.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
For testing GPU temperature, you'll want a good methodology to get any meaningful data. For example, I've found excellent repeatability by doing the following:

First establish a baseline. Launch Unigine Heaven (extreme preset) and find a taxing scene by cycling through them with the enter key, then pause it with the space bar. Note the scene you paused at and use this for all future testing. This ensures a consistent load. We don't want the GPU boosting all over the place so let the GPU warm up and use MSI Afterburner to lock the voltage and frequency to your target values (Ctrl+F, click the desired point, and then press L). Write these values down and use them for all future tests. Set the GPU fan speed to a fixed value (you may want to test several fixed RPMs, but do just one at a time). Now let the GPU temperature reach steady state and record it. If you have a decent temperature sensor, also record the ambient, but don't sweat it if you don't. For best results, use the delta value for comparisons.

Now you can start investigating a test variable. That can be different fans, different thermal paste or liquid metal, lower voltage, etc. Pick one and repeat the above procedure.

The reason I went through all of that is because there's wildly inaccurate information online about the benefits of liquid metal, especially on GPUs. In reality, it's the reduction of the gap between the CPU die and heatspreader that contributes to most of the temperature drop when delidding -- not the liquid metal. What does this have to do with GPUs? Well, the bare GPU die is already right up against the GPU heatsink. You'll only see a large temperature drop with liquid metal if the stock thermal paste had poor coverage. In my tests with the 1080 Ti Mini, liquid metal only reduced temperatures by 3-4°C (all other variables held constant). By comparison, undervolting reduced temperatures by 9-10°C (all other variables held constant). There is also a risk of shorting if the liquid metal is applied incorrectly so careful prep work and masking of small board components is recommended.

With all that said, I think you should still go for it. :)
Yup, those are solid GPU temp test methods! Thanks @cesk I'm gonna use either 65% 70% or 75% fan speed for my tests. I'll also be using furmark in addition to Unigine Heaven's extreme preset.

quick question is it ok to reverse the connection for the sfc riser? v2.3 cant fit decided to make whats best for the gpu to mobo pics as reference thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EwZc_Eg6w8NPm5o6IjrteWl43LK5a652
Don't do this! Always follow the instructions on the Riser and the little riser key!

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
EDIT: So I found out that to remove the fan shroud I HAVE to remove the heatsink, according to our very own SFFForum review of the 1080 mini ... meaning i might have to reapply thermal paste... which would probably change my thermal results between the stock fans test and the noctua fans tests....

So, you have to at least it's VERY easy to remove the entire heatsink, but it's real easy because its just 6 screws according to this youtube video.

Do you guys think I should just go all-in and swap the NTH1 that @Josh | NFC put on my 1080mini for his 1080mini video... and just go with CoolLaboratory's Liquid Ultra on my 1080 mini's GPU die? it's the Liquid Metal that i have on my 7700k... thoughts?
Yes, this is true, you have to remove everything at least if you want access to the GPU's fan header.

Reactions: CubanLegend