S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
While the copper shim works in theory, it creates two separate barriers to heat transmission. In practice this is probably hurt performance enough that you'd be better choosing another option for cooling.

I thought of something that might work...

Seems copper CPU shims are easy enough to buy on Amazon or whatever. I have some 60/40 lead solder (lowest melting point solder, 188c).

What if I simply put the vapor chamber heatsink upside-down on a pan on my stove, put some of the solder between the vapor chamber and the shim, and press them together that way once the solder melts? That'd make a solid joint with negligible thermal resistance.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I thought of something that might work...

Seems copper CPU shims are easy enough to buy on Amazon or whatever. I have some 60/40 lead solder (lowest melting point solder, 188c).

What if I simply put the vapor chamber heatsink upside-down on a pan on my stove, put some of the solder between the vapor chamber and the shim, and press them together that way once the solder melts? That'd make a solid joint with negligible thermal resistance.
I feel like even if you did manage to do that. You're literally going through a HUGE amount of trouble just to make it work. Personally it wouldn't be for me. But I mean to each their own

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
I feel like even if you did manage to do that. You're literally going through a HUGE amount of trouble just to make it work. Personally it wouldn't be for me. But I mean to each their own

Sure, but I mean, how else are you gonna get a copper vapor chamber in an S4, aside from buying a X299 mobo? The closest things for 115X are the IS-VC45 aluminum vapor chamber (doesn't perform that well from what I hear), or the upcoming Cryorig C7 all-copper (that uses heatpipes instead of a vapor chamber, might be comparable in performance though since the whole thing is copper) and that is still nowhere to be seen though they told me they're on track to release it before 2018.

I don't mind some mods, I've done some crazy stuff with my S4 already, nothing permanent to the case itself though :)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Sure, but I mean, how else are you gonna get a copper vapor chamber in an S4, aside from buying a X299 mobo?
If the vapour chamber is not in contact with the IHS, then it has no advantage. Once you solder that copper shim to the bottom, it will perform worse than a heatpipe-based heatsink.

Reactions: Broxin

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
If the vapour chamber is not in contact with the IHS, then it has no advantage. Once you solder that copper shim to the bottom, it will perform worse than a heatpipe-based heatsink.

How do you figure? Ordinary heatpipe-heatsinks are essentially a shim soldered to the heatpipes. The intel IHS itself is essentially a thick shim, and AMD solders theirs to the chip. I don't see how a thin layer of solder in between two mostly-touching pieces of copper drags the conductivity down that much.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You lose a lot of thermal conductivity when you don't have a single piece of material. Like I said, a shim would be adding two of these points (one between IHS and shim, one between shim and vapour plate). You might be able to reduce this through use of liquid metal TIM, but not eliminate it completely.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
my TITAN TTC-NC25TZ/HS came in! Gonna test it on the S4 mini against my LP53 and the NF-A9x14 after the discord AMA today.

YES it came with all the mounting hardware and the fan retention brackets! :D And some neat instructions!

NF-A9x14 PWM Premium fitment test:

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
You lose a lot of thermal conductivity when you don't have a single piece of material. Like I said, a shim would be adding two of these points (one between IHS and shim, one between shim and vapour plate). You might be able to reduce this through use of liquid metal TIM, but not eliminate it completely.
With high silver soldered in between it could work great. Ofcourse a solid piece of copper cooler is allways better.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
interesting fin orientation.... I'll try to get it to fit parallel to the RAM. Pray for me!

i tried, but it won't work. that's why i have installed that way. also, you'll have to change the mounting bracket location on the bottom of the cooler.

curious what your temps will be like with 92mm noctua fan. I have yet to try mine, as I've been using the slim 120 noctua fan.

Reactions: Biowarejak