S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
It's already been done on X99

How close is that 120mm fan to the side of the case when you use that mount? What are the acoustics like? I'm sure I've read in this thread somewhere that having the fan too close to the case creates additional noise. I ask because I've been wondering how a 120mm case mounted compares to a 92mm heatsink mounted, assuming the same heatsink in both. If the 120mm case mounted performs better, but sounds louder, I can disregard it immediately.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
How close is that 120mm fan to the side of the case when you use that mount? What are the acoustics like? I'm sure I've read in this thread somewhere that having the fan too close to the case creates additional noise. I ask because I've been wondering how a 120mm case mounted compares to a 92mm heatsink mounted, assuming the same heatsink in both. If the 120mm case mounted performs better, but sounds louder, I can disregard it immediately.

@vluft would you be able to answer these questions?

Reactions: nix

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
The closer it gets to shipping, the more I fiend for this case.. I should really get a cheap test bench.. this laptop is sooo slow.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
The closer it gets to shipping, the more I fiend for this case.. I should really get a cheap test bench.. this laptop is sooo slow.
Cardboard box!

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
You know, i didn't really like the Black/Silver when i first saw it. But now that I've gone back and looked at some of the older versions with powder coats it's starting to grow on me. I like how the screws blend in with the brushed aluminum side panels. I prefer the brushed aluminum finish over the powder coat finish. I definitely prefer the aluminum side and black wrap around bezel as opposed to the opposite combo as seen in the LTT video.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
I think within the next I'll be going that route for the time being. That TB03 is basically what I want. Hopefully, my girlfriend's cat minds his own business.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016

That's an 18mm thick fan on a 27mm heatsink, and there's 0 distance between that and the side of the case. Case side actually applies a (small) amount of pressure to the fan. Yup, having the fan that close to the side of the case does create more noise - sounds a bit like a mechanical whine, varying depending on fan speed. Not excessively unpleasant but definitely noticeably louder than it would be otherwise. I expect it would be significantly quieter with a slightly thinner fan - there's some 15mm available and there may be some 12mm available too. I'm considering swapping out the 18 for a 15 next time I fiddle around inside it (probably when my hdplex 300W AC/DC ships and I make it brickless) to see if that significantly reduces the noise.

Reactions: nix

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Where did y'all buy from?
I'm assuming you ordered asap, and everything is sold out, but maybe there's some somewhere? :)

Edit:
Have you tried the new noctua 120 on the L9i, Josh?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
No. I could I suppose, but experience leads me to believe it would be far worse. My hypothesis is there wouldn't be enough pressure mouted in the MINI above it and the deadzone is probably greater.
Yeah that is what I was wondering too, I'm not very familiar with the topic but I assumed proximity to the metal fins is very important in cooling, and the gap between the metal fins and the fan might be too great.