S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
You guys are all talking over which GTX 1070 to get. Then one month from now the RX Vega Nano will be announced and everyone will talk about how they're out of stock. Isn't technology great guys?:cool:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I really want to recommend the Zotac 1070 here; it is a phenomenal card. It fits in the S4 perfectly if you get the Acrylic Bezel (Open) and the Vented Plate.

Yeah, you need to get the bezel DLC pack if you wanna beat the game with the Zotac 1070.

I officially hate myself.

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
@zovc damn, i didn't think that was possible. Y'all are making me rethink my priorities now :D Do you know if the Galax is available in Europe? I have been unable to find any retailer in my neck of the woods that carry them.
In Europe is called KFA2. I have the KFA2 in my mini 1070 and is wonderful.

Reactions: zovc

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Yeah, you need to get the bezel DLC pack if you wanna beat the game with the Zotac 1070.

In due time all GPU's will have on-package/on-die HBM & will be much smaller to the point where the S4 Mini is more than big enough without a modded bezel.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
My issue with the Zotac and the KFA mini is that the fan's done ever stop - the MSI Aero does however, have this feature.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So the question remains, what kind of mod, if any, is required to fit the Aero in the S4?

You'd have to mod the power cables so the connectors are as low-profile as you can get them. Even then I'm not sure if it will fit, because the power socket on the GPU is less indented than the one on the Gigabyte, and the GPU is wider. What would work 100% is de-soldering the connectors from the GPU and soldering in the wires directly, but that would super-void your warranty.

EDIT: You could also cut a hole into the inner frame of the S4 so the cables can exit and enter the case again. If you leave the wrap-around bezel on, nobody would notice.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
Just to reiterate this option.
Inno3D 1060 Compact works fabulously for the S4 without modding.
Not as capable as a 1070 or 1080 but also not as expensive.
I've been using mine for FPS gaming in the S4 and am quite happy with it.
Only available in Euorope but if you buy from outside of Europe there is no tax so the price is less than indicated before adding to the cart.
Overclockers just got more in stock:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06b-in.html

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
The Galax 1070 Mini's fans do indeed have a minimum 30% speed. I emailed them asking if they could change this and they essentially said no, but their other (larger) 1070 does have 0% fans at idle.

I may tinker with flashing the BIOS/firmware on my card, but I won't get around to that for at least probably two weeks.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Guys, so I'm adding another mod to my list of FUTURE build mods:
-A9x14 fan duct
-file inner S4 mini GPU hole to widen it out
-Liquid Metal TIM swap no the GTX 1080 mini

So Tweaktown just did a review of the ZOTAC 1080mini and they showcased a video from Upgrade Addiction which, get this... did a Liquid Metal TIM swap on the die... from the stock TIM to Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut! And they recorded a temp of the 1080mini when stock and when overclocked in a Unigen Heaven Loop. They recorded both the stock and OCed 1080 after the TIM swap was 10c cooler! :D The video even included their process of the TIM swap:
I'm going to ask them if I can do it with CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra, since I still have plenty left from my 7700k delid. And I'll also record more points of reference for base temps than them. I'll use FurMark, Unigen Valley, Unigen Heaven, Firestrike, and some Pc games in highly GPu intensive areas.

If this is a feasible mod, the I'll do it for sure and I'll have to change my thread title and S4 Mini's codename to "Liquid Metal Acrylic Antman". Heck I might even be able to remove the screws from the back of the 1080 to pull the heatsink/fans off without uninstalling the 1080 itself, I might only have to uninstall the SSDs and just slide the SSD bracket down over the motherboard a little to reach the backplate screws. XD

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Hmm, I might have to try it on my 1060 if CLLU works, I've got some sitting around too.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
am i right in saying a lot of people have gone for the 1060 in the S4 mini?
if so what one did you go for the 3gb or 6gb?
i'm kind of stuck for which one to go for.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

I got the 1060 6GB simply because it was the first one to come out. It is also the only one in stock from inno3D presently. The 1060 works great for all of the games I play. In fact if I had it to do over again I'd probably opt for a MSI 1050ti and maybe go for an internal adapter set-up. The lower wattage and less cable clutter is a really strong argument for going with a 1050/1050ti. Unless you are into some really graphics intensive gaming with a need for 4K performance and 3D future proofing I'd stick to the lower range cards. The 1060 does seem to be nice mid point between 1050 and 1070. My build is pretty specific as I do almost exclusively low graphic intensity FPS games on a 144hz monitor. I'm also one of the few people running an AMD system (FM2+ not AM4). With just a step below max settings I get 100+ FPS which was my intent.

Reactions: paullusty

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

My thoughts...

1. Realistically if you are a gamer then 3GB is fine for 95% of the stuff you will use the card for.
2. 6GB is fantastic for those who have a use for it...color grading will eat that up like it's not even there.
3. There is a $35ish dollar price difference between the two. It might be worth it just for "resale" value. I've never had a customer ask for the 3GB version and most specifically ask for the 6GB version, regardless of need.

Good luck!

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017

I'm confused? I saw someone put the Zotac in earlier and saw a ton of space around it? I thought the whole point in the Zotac 1070 was you didn't need the bezel...