S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Cuban, you are definitely earning your legend. You have really put alot of work into this and we all appreciate it. Thank you.

I am curious because you put so much work into this if you could answer this question so we can put it away.

In my short delidding (and separately, the Lp53 experience) is that short runs temperature changes were quite dramatic, but after reaching part temp and doing measurements over a 10 minute period I did not see as big of a difference as you did. I didn't put near as much work into it, so I am hoping you can settle this for me. Can you confirm part temp and what maybe (5 probes) an average was over ten minutes measurements? I think you did this, but I just want not to think about it anymore.

Thank you again!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
A nice poster in my official build log thread noticed a slight temp delta discrepancy with me measuring the wrong timestamped temp for the delta, I also noted other things I fixed:
  • I've fixed that and added clarification in my Delid temps post. I've been looking at a scribbled peice of paper with all my temps on it for hours so I've been typing them out and probably got confused.
  • I also edited my post to reflect the 2 different temperature deltas im showcasing in the synthetic benchmarks. the orange temp delta shows the difference between the LP53 and the LP53 with the delid, the GREEN temp delta is used to show the difference between my "stock NHL9i" temps and my new "LP53 w/Delid" temps :D I also noted where I used averaged temperatures with a "~" symbol
  • and I removed the redundant temp timestamps of temps 2min into a benchmark when the benchmark completed for the full 10min without hitting 99c
  • OH and I also added a link to purchase those mini VRM heatsinks in my VRM heatsink BONUS adventure, for my Z270i bros! :D

Cuban, you are definitely earning your legend. You have really put alot of work into this and we all appreciate it. Thank you.

I am curious because you put so much work into this if you could answer this question so we can put it away.

In my short delidding (and separately, the Lp53 experience) is that short runs temperature changes were quite dramatic, but after reaching part temp and doing measurements over a 10 minute period I did not see as big of a difference as you did. I didn't put near as much work into it, so I am hoping you can settle this for me. Can you confirm part temp and what maybe (5 probes) an average was over ten minutes measurements? I think you did this, but I just want not to think about it anymore.

Thank you again!
Awww Thanks! You're my hero, so it's an honor to read such kind words. It's all thanks to your S4 mini Chassis and your design skills, drive and dedication for ingenuity in the SFF hardware community.

Onto your temp questions (let me know if i misunderstood the question, you can ask me any other questions too, all are welcome):
What do you mean by "part temp"?

When you say "short run temperature changes were quite dramatic" do you mean that my results after 10mins of a benchmark could have been different after more 10 min runs of the same synthetic bench? I did not run those benchmarks more than once but the temps I noted at 10min usually leveled out by 5 min into the benchmark.

And by "I didn't see as big of a difference as you did" do you mean your 7700k delidded temps didn't drop as much as mine? Well if so, then I'll ask, did you reapply glue to relid the IHS or did you just place the IHS with CLU bare onto the die and have the CPU retention bracket hold the IHS in place? that might be why my temps are lower... I've read that delidding isn't just about replacing the stock CPU die TIM with CLU, but also reducing the "CPU die to IHS" gap by removing the intel IHS sealant glue and any gap it may have caused from the equation completely. Orrrr temp changes could just be a result of our CPUs just being different due to the silicon lottery, some are hotter than others and some are more overclockable than others sometimes.

About any average temps I gathered: I should have clarified this, sorry for the confusion! If the benchmark was showing erratic spiking of temps up/down within a range, I DID take the average hottest temp of that range. I have gone back and edited any averge temps with a "~" symbol and noted that in the Disclaimer. :)

@CubanLegend, you are insane. In the best way. I appreciate you going through the trouble of documenting and sharing your process and results!
I am indeed insane, thank you! And thanks for appreciating my hardware addiction. I'm really glad my documentation is appreciated, and maybe could be of help to any future S4 Mini customers looking for a SFF "no compromises" build too. >=)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
LP53 + Noctua Fan should be 42 mm... But can fit inside S4 mini?
I dont have the right ruler at home to measure it...so I used a US ruler and converted it to mm.

BUT the space from the TOP of the NF-A9x14 PWM to the START of the S4 mini side panel is about 4.5-5mm for me... so yeah. I had 9.5-10mm of space when i had the NHL9i in there... so I lost about 5mm of air gap.

HOLY CRAP I FORGOT about the AIR DUCT for the A9x14 PWM, sorry guys! I'll work on it tomorrow. Will post results once I test it.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Amazing results. Think I'm going to need to delid my 7700K. It boggles my mind that Intel doesn't just do this in the first place. With the bulk volume at which they buy TIM, using a liquid metal like CoolLaboratory would add negligible cost to the equation. Anyone know what the shelf life is on the TIM they use versus some of these third party products?

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
From what I have done, the small amount of reading, my 4790K would probably see a similar (~10C) improvement in performance from delidding, huh?

Reactions: CubanLegend

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
LP53 + Noctua Fan should be 42 mm... But can fit inside S4 mini?

I believe I saw one build using an L9i and a 25mm Redux fan and it JUST fit. That has a total height of 48mm. One thing to keep in mind is that without a sufficient air gap between the fan and the side panel you will get both airflow and noise issues.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I believe I saw one build using an L9i and a 25mm Redux fan and it JUST fit. That has a total height of 48mm. One thing to keep in mind is that without a sufficient air gap between the fan and the side panel you will get both airflow and noise issues.
Yeah that might have been me, there was another user who tried it as well and got the same results as me.

My testing of the 25mm Redux and the NHL9i in the S4 Mini is in post #12 of my build-log. I tested it with the NHL9i and it BARELY fit inside the S4 mini, the fan was FLUSH against the side panel and caused serious air turbulence, and as a result it did NOT perform better than the stock A9x14.

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017

ModZero also used a L9i with the 25mm Redux fan

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
ModZero also used a L9i with the 25mm Redux fan
that's right, but I think he's going for some sort of tempered glass or acrylic side panel which I think might be offset a bit to give him a decent airgap? I'm not sure if it'll have an airgap or be flush but in the regular S4 mini, the Redux sits flush with the side panel.

Also @Josh, I'[m thinking of doing a SLIGHT mod to my S4 mini... what do you recommend for me to try and cut this 1-2mm of the metal inner chassis of my S4 mini? What should I use, an angle grinder or your hated Dremel? And seeing as I'm crazy, YES i plan to do it without removing the 1080 from the chassis, I'd REALLY rather just remove my power button and pop the front acrylic bezel off for access to the iner chassis for a quick cut. :D This is rougly how much I'd like to cut, maybe a little more?

Reason why I ask...I sometimes get the 1080 mini's fans rubbing against it when I set the S4 down horizontally but i can usually fix that by easily pushing the neoprene a bit and the card moves itself back into place (and yes, everybody... I KNOW it's because I'm using a 15mm thick laptop drive on the other side of the 1080mini, pushing against the 1080's backside... I'd like to not have to worry about repositioning the card every once in awhile when the fans might start to rub that edge when the S4 sitting horizontally. :)

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Take the 1080 out, you goof.
I'd say files would be the best option here.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What I've done in the past(not trusting my own filing skills), is find a piece of metal bar and clamp it to the line you want to file to. That way you have a very definite line where, once you hit it, will have a very different tactile feel and will allow you to stop at just the right point. If you do it correctly, this yields really clean lines on your filing.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Just keep in mind you're going to making little metal flakes that will get everywhere.

Reactions: NotungX and zovc

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
What I've done in the past(not trusting my own filing skills), is find a piece of metal bar and clamp it to the line you want to file to. That way you have a very definite line where, once you hit it, will have a very different tactile feel and will allow you to stop at just the right point. If you do it correctly, this yields really clean lines on your filing.
thank you for the advice!

Just keep in mind you're going to making little metal flakes that will get everywhere.
DEAR GOD you're right. Damn, I might just have to uninstall everything. Hmmm

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
I know a couple of you guys have done a 1070 mini in your S4. Any particular card you recommend over the other for my husbands build? He currently has an ASUS 1070 Strix 8 GB OC.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I have a Galax 1070 mini and so far it seems like overkill for 1080p gaming. I haven't yet taken my 1070 out of my test bench and put it in the S4 Mini, but I can't imagine thermals being bad in such an open case design.

For most people who either don't mind going down to 1080p or don't have a monitor that goes above 1080p I really think the 1060 is the best value.

Edit: I would look for a card that will let its fans go down to 0% when idle. My Galax card idles at 30% and I haven't looked into a hack that will fix that yet. I'm going to try asking Galax to update their BIOS and worst case scenario it's supposedly possible to flash with another manufacurer's BIOS.