CPU Ryzen APU graphics....

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Well I will be waiting until Raven Ridge are out. I suspect there will be a Big Beast APU heading the range, maybe a 95w one even..That is the one I will most likely go for, and the MB.(ITX), well have to see what is out there by then, a better spread than those few pencilled for release over the next few months probably, and maybe with costs down now most of the R&D is done and a few sold..............Have to wait and see...........Plus a few AMD tweaks will have been done by then as well, and the BIOSs will hopefully be a bit more refined too.
Saying that, a 65w RR APU will be better than anything around now, so it will be one of those if the Big Beast is silly money......
Whatever comes along it will be better than what I run now, 3 boxes, Pentium G2358, an Athlon AM1 5350 and an A8-7600...........Happy enough with them but progress marches on in this game and does not do to get left too far out of step............So for once will be going for latest platform rather than a gen or 2 behind.....Not possible for me to do this with Intel prices, so glad AMD is getting a grip at last....

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You're not the only one. I would like to see an APU with a 75W to 120W iGPU and a 65W CPU.
The problems are:
1. TDP; the OEMs would need a serious cooling solution, like an AIO cooler or some very high end heatsink to cool 140-185W TDP.
For OEM that's quite an expensive problem and is also more liable for warranty claims.
2. AMD would be competing with themselves (GPUs)

Reactions: Soul_Est

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
yes, bristol ridge is on the AM4 platform

yes but how is possible he has one already?
wait how am4 whas launched last year?
what happened here that i missed?? .__.

--- edit

Wait what

HP is selling am4 system for that long? how did I missed that? guess it wasnt powerfull enougth for care?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
You have to remember as well that we're dealing with a node change, a micro-architecture change, and a memory bandwidth change. What those changes will entail will be left to be seen. I just hope AMD is not afraid of having overlay between two different product lines.

R9380 vs RX470 is also a node and microarchitecture change, and an increase in bandwidth, but there was no 40% increase in performance.

Also, Bristol Ridge wasn't a node or microarchitecture change, IIRC it's just Kaveri updated for AM4, hence why I am very skeptical.- it'd mean raven ridge will be a big upgrade over that.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015

--- edit

Wait what

HP is selling am4 system for that long? how did I missed that? guess it wasnt powerfull enougth for care?
AM4 is completely separate from the Zen architecture, Ryzen processors and Raven Ridge.
They released it last year ahead of Ryzen's launch, as well as AM4 APUs based on Excavator CPU cores and GCN gen3 GPU cores.

Now Ryzen is out based on the Zen architechture (and no GPU onboard) and coming later is Raven ridge with fewer Zen cores and Vega GPU cores (GCN gen5)

Reactions: owliwar

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
The problems are:
1. TDP; the OEMs would need a serious cooling solution, like an AIO cooler or some very high end heatsink to cool 140-185W TDP.
For OEM that's quite an expensive problem and is also more liable for warranty claims.
2. AMD would be competing with themselves (GPUs)
  1. True. It would either be that or throwing more hardware at the problem which does not help the OEMs either as the APUs will be more expensive parts as a result. It will be interesting to see how AMD finds balance.
  2. To quote Jason Stoddard of Schiit Audio:
    Certain companies (Apple, Google, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, OPPO, Motorola, Samsung, Schiit Audio, Sony, etc.) will release products that do compete with their other products. It does help the company figure out what works and where they need to put more resources as far as product development.
R9380 vs RX470 is also a node and microarchitecture change, and an increase in bandwidth, but there was no 40% increase in performance.

Also, Bristol Ridge wasn't a node or microarchitecture change, IIRC it's just Kaveri updated for AM4, hence why I am very skeptical.- it'd mean raven ridge will be a big upgrade over that.
Given that Raven Ridge will have Ryzen on the CPU side and at least 11 Vega cores (hopefully) on the iGPU side, it will be interesting to see what AMD brings to the market just as they had with Ryzen.

Last edited:

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017

--- edit

Wait what

AM4 motherboards were released last year exclusively for OEMs (only HP as far as I remember), in mATX format, to go together with Bristol Ridge chips. That's one of the reasons people are so upset that Bristol Ridge still hasn't made it's way to the stores despite being available for OEMs for so long. The only places selling Bristol Ridge chips now, as far as I know, is CSL computers in Germany (in a bundle with a motherboard) and some sellers on taobao.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'd guess at Raven Ridge not containing HBM/2, mainly because it needs a silicon interposer. That would mean the package suddenly gets a lot more complicated (minimum three silicon components, and an increase in package Z-height compared to Ryzen) and expensive. Some other variety of eDRAM cache like Intel's crystalwell may be possible. If AMD are assembling Raven Ridge as a multi-chip package rather than putting the iGPU on-die, then adding an extra cache die (or putting a big cache on the GPU die) would be an option. But if they continue the Bristol Ridge single-die design, that doesn't leave much room for cramming both a big Ryzen CCX, big GPU, and a big cache onto one piece of silicon and not having it cost a silly amount to fab.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Kaveri's had 34 gb/s bandwidth with DDR3 2133mhz, the AM4 chipset is doing at best around 3000mhz i think? So that'd give us around 48 gb/s. That's half of an R7 260 (6000mhz GDDR5). Not sure how well this is going to play newer titles even without high resolution textures. I hope AMD can find a way to get something like 4000mhz DDR4 working.