CPU Ryzen APU graphics....

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
What low end GPU would be the equivalent of the APU graphics? I am wondering whether to wait for APUs or get a CPU and cheap GPU........Just room to squeeze an MATX MB in my ITX case with a bit of angle grinder work..............
and plenty of MATX about, and CPUs

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
a rx 550 maybe?
imagine a crossfire with apu + rx 550.... rx 460 level of gaming?

now im realizing thats just almost the price of the rx460, which makes it expensive and almost not worthy

Reactions: NateDawg72

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
i think the drawback of the APU is memory bandwidth. On the FM2 socket it was limited by DDR3 speeds, the APU's had excellent performance scaling with higher speed memory. DDR4 should give it a boost, but AM4 boards are having trouble with DDR4 over 3000mhz right? So I can't imagine it will give that big of a boost in performance. Hopefully AMD finds a way to integrate HBM or some kind of cache to help increase performance (maybe like L4 in the Broadwell Iris Pro). Otherwise, even a 512 stream core APU won't come close to RX550 performance.

Also on the Dual Graphics, the APU's often paired better with a DDR3 R7 250 than a GDDR5 R7 250, I guess this will be the same on future APU's. Don't forget that Dual Graphics is about as successful as Crossfire at boosting performance so personally I can't really recommend relying on it, as some games will run fine but a few may run horribly. To sell the APU, AMD absolutely needs to overcome memory bandwidth issues and can't rely on dual graphics/crossfire to compensate for that.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This was discussed over in the Ryzen thread and the Project BTN thread. The previous generation APUs were not much but there is hope that AMD will create better APUs with much of the technology that they have available.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I really hope the APUs can use 4+GB of RAM if you tell them to.

Honestly, the progression of Intel's iGPUs over the years makes me pretty hopeful.

If you compare one of the first iGPUs to the current 'top-of-the-line' mobile iGPUs, there's not even a contest. +1,609% on userbenchmark.

Intel has lately de-ephasized desktop iGPUs (much to my dismay), but even comparing my i7-4790K's HD 4600 to the Iris Pro 530, there's a +21% difference. Which might not seem like a lot but it honestly is.

What's really neat is you can actually overclock your iGPU if you have a K-series chip. Granted, you maybe shouldn't be spending on a K-series chip if you can't afford a discrete GPU but who knows what you're up to. (Especially on a SFF forum!) My i7-4790K can make Just Cause 2 and Resident Evil 5 playable at 60fps at 720p when I overclock it. Not knocking anyone's socks off, but not a complete pushover either.

If AMD lets us overclock their APUs (I don't know if they historically have), I definitely think it's possible to see ~750Ti levels of performance. 1050/460 performance seems a little ambitious but there's no way of knowing until we see what's up their sleeve.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Honestly, the progression of Intel's iGPUs over the years makes me pretty hopeful.

If you compare one of the first iGPUs to the current 'top-of-the-line' mobile iGPUs, there's not even a contest. +1,609% on userbenchmark.

Intel has lately de-ephasized desktop iGPUs (much to my dismay), but even comparing my i7-4790K's HD 4600 to the Iris Pro 530, there's a +21% difference. Which might not seem like a lot but it honestly is.

What's really neat is you can actually overclock your iGPU if you have a K-series chip. Granted, you maybe shouldn't be spending on a K-series chip if you can't afford a discrete GPU but who knows what you're up to. (Especially on a SFF forum!) My i7-4790K can make Just Cause 2 and Resident Evil 5 playable at 60fps at 720p when I overclock it. Not knocking anyone's socks off, but not a complete pushover either.

If AMD lets us overclock their APUs (I don't know if they historically have), I definitely think it's possible to see ~750Ti levels of performance. 1050/460 performance seems a little ambitious but there's no way of knowing until we see what's up their sleeve.
AMD has allowed overclocking of the iGPUs in their k-series APUs. You actually could get pretty good overclocks with them provided that your cooling was good. Giver how the Ryzen 7 1700 performs with overclocking, I'm looking forward to these Raven Ridge APUs and their successors.

GShocked

What's an ITX?
Apr 22, 2017
If it can play new AAA games at 1080p 60fps lowest settings I'll be happy. Imagine that in something like a Gigabyte Brix!

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I don't know that it's been completely confirmed, but there has been talk around that Raven ridge might have some HBM memory based on some older presentation slides from AMD. I doubt it will be a large amount, though.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Bristol Ridge already sort of reaches 750 Ti levels of performance with fast RAM. We should expect Raven Ridge to do even better.

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, it looks like Bristol Ridge is better than I took for granted. I have only fooled with Intel iGPUs, personally. Maybe it is possible that the new APUs rival 1050's and similar. That would be awesome.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I just don't understand why AMD wouldn't make a "performance" oriented APU. LOTS of professionals would love a decent performing APU smushed in next to a super strong CPU.

It's getting pretty hard for me to source i7-5775Cs XD

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
All that and hUMA / HSA too?!

Wouldn't change a difference. AMD's always had the right philosophy when it comes to designing CPUs for the future but was always off by a decade.

The multi thread requirements that was supposed to come for FX-8xxx has finally come, but barely and only in select games and applications.

Meanwhile, their HSA and GPU accelerated is finally being taken advantage by applications, but still very minimally.

Their APU has always been bandwidth starved. Given similar bandwidth and clockspeed, stream processors on the AMD scales pretty linearly (until you get to FURY levels). With Raven Ridge, the APUs shouldn't be bandwidth starved anymore (but still lower than GDDR5). Along with Vega improvements, we should see similar performance if we compare stream processors on APU to SPs on GPU. That is why I think it will be around RX 460 levels, but may be a bit lower.

There is rumor for a high end APU part but whether that'll show up in consumer market is very unknown.

I don't think there will be an HBM APU for consumer market in the near future. That said, I'm very excited for Raven Ridge. When I heard about the original APU/Fusion by AMD, I was excited. Sadly the concept did not execute well... I do think APUs are the future, as well as HSA. But in spectacular AMD fashion, they always arrive too early, and miss the party entirely.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I just don't understand why AMD wouldn't make a "performance" oriented APU. LOTS of professionals would love a decent performing APU smushed in next to a super strong CPU.

It's getting pretty hard for me to source i7-5775Cs XD
You're not the only one. I would like to see an APU with a 75W to 120W iGPU and a 65W CPU.

This was a rather thought provoking read. Thank you.

All that and hUMA / HSA too?!
Every APU since Carrizo would be fully hUMA and HSA compliant.

Wouldn't change a difference. AMD's always had the right philosophy when it comes to designing CPUs for the future but was always off by a decade.

The multi thread requirements that was supposed to come for FX-8xxx has finally come, but barely and only in select games and applications.

Meanwhile, their HSA and GPU accelerated is finally being taken advantage by applications, but still very minimally.

Their APU has always been bandwidth starved. Given similar bandwidth and clockspeed, stream processors on the AMD scales pretty linearly (until you get to FURY levels). With Raven Ridge, the APUs shouldn't be bandwidth starved anymore (but still lower than GDDR5). Along with Vega improvements, we should see similar performance if we compare stream processors on APU to SPs on GPU. That is why I think it will be around RX 460 levels, but may be a bit lower.

There is rumor for a high end APU part but whether that'll show up in consumer market is very unknown.

I don't think there will be an HBM APU for consumer market in the near future. That said, I'm very excited for Raven Ridge. When I heard about the original APU/Fusion by AMD, I was excited. Sadly the concept did not execute well... I do think APUs are the future, as well as HSA. But in spectacular AMD fashion, they always arrive too early, and miss the party entirely.
I could have not said this any better myself.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Is their a benchmark somewhere that shows Bristol ridge has 750 ti level performance? The top Kaveri wasnt even close to an r7 260, which would get beaten hands down by a 750ti. That's a pretty big jump forward in performance considering that Polaris couldn't match it vs r9 300 series.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Is their a benchmark somewhere that shows Bristol ridge has 750 ti level performance? The top Kaveri wasnt even close to an r7 260, which would get beaten hands down by a 750ti. That's a pretty big jump forward in performance considering that Polaris couldn't match it vs r9 300 series.
You have to remember as well that we're dealing with a node change, a micro-architecture change, and a memory bandwidth change. What those changes will entail will be left to be seen. I just hope AMD is not afraid of having overlay between two different product lines.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017