Cooling Ryzen LP coolers for 95W+

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
I will be waiting for the APU range before building with Ryzen, Raven Ridge.
It will be ITX, so I will be looking for a low profile, silent ( as possible) CPU cooler. There are not many details about the APU range, but I feel the top end may have a 95W option, so my usual sub 60W "go to" range will be outgunned.
Cooler manufacturers are still getting acts together to cover the AM4 platform, and may be a better range by time of the APU debut, but anyone any ideas on AM4 LP coolers around now, or indicated?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have a Noctua NH-L12 (single fan) on a Ryzen 1800X. With the latest Ryzen Master v1.0.1 and default clocks, I'm seeing 65°C stable with 16 threads in Prime95. In AIDA64 v5.90 system stability test I'm seeing 64°C. But you do need the Noctua AM4 mounting kit.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
That`s good, and 95w rated...........One to put on the contenders list. Mind you, @93mm tall I find it hard to view it as low profile

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I also own Noctua NH-L12, and it's really a good cooler with balanced size / noise / cooling performance - and, dare I say, price.

Yes considered pricey, but great build quality, 6 years warranty, and free mounting kits.

* Edit: sadly doesn't really fit in most of the current retail & custom SFF cases like Silverstone Raven 02, Dan A4, MI-6 etc.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
The NH-L12 will be too large for my dual chamber case. well maybe on the limits 163 to play with ( width) and say 17mm for CPU socket, MB thickness , stand offs. MB backplate ( slide out tray) gives say 110MM, leaves 53mm rear chamber.... enough for cabling and SSDs but a bit snug for any AC-DC unit...............OK if I carry on using a brick though I suppose.............Might be better bring the MB tray forward and making room for rad and fans in rear chamber..........But prefer to use air cooling if possible......

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The height can be reduced by removing the top fan and using the included 92mm fan below the heatsink, but I haven't tested the performance of this on the Ryzen CPU yet.