Ryzen 5 3400G build, PSU confusion

ubaid88

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Hi everyone.
I am in a process to build a mini PC/SFF)for general purpose like movies, browsing, MS office applications and some programming/engineering tools etc. Most of the time, I am intending to connect this to a TV.
Initially I was interested in intel NUCs however I saw that If I go for mini-itx based builds then I might get more powerful PC is lower budget.

Currently I have purchase the following components

AMD Ryzen 2400/3400G
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Motherboard
Team T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory

I will also getting M2 Sata and 2.5" HDD.

I can't decide on buying a mini-itx case and PSU. Initially, I was looking to get a Inwin Chopin which comes with 150W psu however I found that it might not be enough for this build. I would need around 200-250 wattage from PSU. My options are:

1) To get another case with bigger PSU. However, the ones I found are not that compact which will defeats the purpose of build.

2) Second option is use case with pico PSU with external power brick. I have my eye on

However, I have trouble finding pico-psu + power brick combination that can deliver atleast 200W to this system. Most pico-psu boards are 12 VDC input but power bricks commonly available around 200W are outputing 19.5VDC.

Can you guys please advice me on suitable mini-itx case and PSUs for my intended build.

Thanks

ubaid88

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks,
What about these all these online calculators, all of them were giving a number slightly over 150W hence I thought it is better to get a bigger PSU.

They're all worthless. Lol. For some reason, one of the highest google returned results for "power consumption calculator" is one of the most inaccurate POS.

I recommend using PCPartPicker's "estimated wattage." It's fairly accurate. Multiply it by 1.3 for what you need. Which is just a bit over 150W, but since you're not OC and your use case isn't 100% loaded then 150W is fine.

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
I'm using a 150XT Pico on my 2400G build without issue, thats APU, SSD, M.2, 16Gb RAM an a couple of fans. Its been rock solid, iirc the 3400G is the same power draw anyway so theres no reason it wont run normally.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Haha, those PSU calculators are a joke. I ran a 2400G off an HDplex 80w, did cinebench just fine.