GPU [Rumor] Leaked pictures of RTX 3080

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Why does everyone want to go with the 3090 though? Why not the potential 3080 Ti or even the 3080?... Will be a lot of heat to deal with inside such a compact space.

Reactions: Phuncz

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I also have Dan A4, backed the Mjolnir Kickstarter for what was going to be my next build, but if there no 3090 2 slot option, I might try the Sliger SM580.
This is why I stopped paying attention to any cases that only accommodate 2-slot GPUs. It's just too restricting given the trend of the manufacturers. Had the A4, now housing my dad's PC, had a Ghost clone also but that had to go. Now happy with the T1 for its 3-slot GPU mode

bret0213

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2018
Why does everyone want to go with the 3090 though? Why not the potential 3080 Ti or even the 3080?... Will be a lot of heat to deal with inside such a compact space.
For one I never have side panels on unless transporting anyways. I'm not above putting a box fan next to my computer, LM, water blocks, or listening to a jet launch off when I start a game. I like the most power possible. Also, I just sold my 2080ti and actually made money after 2 years of use, I believe the same will be true for 3090. I also like modding cases to make the impossible work. I managed 2 92mm fans, and 5 40mm in the Dan case. I travel to much and learned a hard lesson checking a desktop that it's better to be able to use a carry on, which is why I stick with itx.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Pro tips: don't fabricate your builds around a rumored product. Don't buy parts of a build based around a rumored product.

Don't blame Necere for the design of the Ncase M1 that has been what it is for many years because Nvidia's new rumoured flagship GPU might not fit physically or work thermally. I would seriously reconsider if it requires a much larger heatsink and a lot more power. It's not going to be twice as fast, Nvidia has no competition at the high-end. So either the new GPUs are terribly inefficient or they are expecting AMD to be releasing a competing product.

bret0213

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2018
Pro tips: don't fabricate your builds around a rumored product. Don't buy parts of a build based around a rumored product.

Don't blame Necere for the design of the Ncase M1 that has been what it is for many years because Nvidia's new rumoured flagship GPU might not fit physically or work thermally. I would seriously reconsider if it requires a much larger heatsink and a lot more power. It's not going to be twice as fast, Nvidia has no competition at the high-end. So either the new GPUs are terribly inefficient or they are expecting AMD to be releasing a competing product.
I don't think anyone is blaming Necere, he after all is like a founding fathers of ITX cases and a legend for adapting to products over the years. Plus he is amazing at supporting customers on forums. Also, I don't think you can blame it on power inefficiency, without an actual evolution of the technology to have more powerful CPU/GPU, will need more power. Yes, it's still rumored but most leaked cards from Nvidia with proven sources. I like to get ahead of people before products run out. If smaller cases that fit full size cards can't fit a flagship like a 3090, the ones that do will be gone for months. Yes small percentage will buy the 3090 but there is enough and SFF is more popular than ever.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
It’s all speculation till the reviews hit but I’m betting 2080ti performance say in a 3080 or thereabouts is still going to be 800-1k USD especially early and that would be underwhelming. More so if the TDP is up. Now maybe all this extra power is for getting that 20-30% raster bump and hopefully more than that on the RT side?

Still toaster time for SFF building if true.

Reactions: Skripka

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Good article to read.
It looks like the dual fan (one in front top and one in rear bottom) design is accurate. Note the diagram for the design airflow path. So, this design is having a traditional case layout in mind. The front top fan draws air from the case's front bottom fan and then exhausts upward and hot air extracted by the case' rear top fan. Sandwich style case owners need to be ingenious to come up with a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Good article to read.
It looks like the dual fan (one in front top and one in rear bottom) design is accurate. Note the diagram for the design airflow path. So, this design is having a traditional case layout in mind. The front top fan draws air from the case's front bottom fan and then exhausts upward and hot air extracted by the case' rear top fan. Sandwich style case owners need to be ingenious to come up with a solution.

Beyond the likely increase in thermal output, is there any real change in this compared to traditional dual or triple fan GPUs? Sure, those have a PCB (and often a backplate) in the way and are as such not explicitly designed for rapid air movement through that area of the heatsink, but the airflow path is still similar, and as long as the case is able to exhaust the heat created by a traditional open-air GPU it should also be able to exhaust this - though the back of the PSU might get quite toasty unless some sort of insulator is added there. The only issue I see beyond the increase in heat output itself being problematic is for cases where a GPU backplate would typically rest flush against a PSU or panel, as in there would be near zero clearance for air to exit in those cases.

Also, doesn't a design like this just scream out for a reversed airflow fan swap and placement right next to a mesh panel? Probably a rather involved mod, but might be doable.

Notional

Trash Compacter
Sep 5, 2019
There is a big difference yes, as there is much less air resistance and it won't heat up or flow across the pcb. Sapphire did it with their Sapphire Tri-X R9 FURY card back in the day when Fury X had a CLC. The results were great.

Reactions: scatterforce