Stalled REVOCCASES RCC-PWR1 / ATX PLUG-IN 400W DC-DC power supply (PICOPSU)

Would you be interested? Target price EUR 55,- plus shipping, depending on MOQ

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
That’s great because there will be some strong low profile GPUs coming both from nVidia and AMD (Hopefully with reasonable price tags). Another fact is that despite there are great PSUs, they are either from USA or Asia which makes European customers deal with shipping costs, time and customs taxes. Would be great to have an alternative to HDplex in Europe If you would consider to sell them through a European reseller or yourself.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
As promised, I tested the j-hack plugin-160 again to make sure the unit was not defect. This time I tested all rails combined at 20°C ambient (last time ambient was 36°C, so output power was derated). Below you can see the results at what wattage the board shuts down.

Don't get me wrong here, from my point of view the plugin-160 is a great choice for a 160W build and has some overhead but according to my tests I respectfully doubt that it can handle 16A output on the 12V rail.

Reactions: oOflyeyesOo

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
As promised, I tested the j-hack plugin-160 again to make sure the unit was not defect. This time I tested all rails combined at 20°C ambient (last time ambient was 36°C, so output power was derated). Below you can see the results at what wattage the board shuts down.

Don't get me wrong here, from my point of view the plugin-160 is a great choice for a 160W build and has some overhead but according to my tests I respectfully doubt that it can handle 16A output on the 12V rail.

I'm not sure how that proves that the unit "isn't defective." Just because it's not a critical failure, doesn't mean it's not defective. This post really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as if I'm designing products that don't meet the specs I put out.

Here is my set up: 1050 ti, Ryzen 1600, Asrock
Software: Prime 95 and Unigine Valley running
Ambient, 24 C.

Guestimate 12V rail consumption: 11.5A.

SOC+CPU consumption: 75-80W (all 12V rail). You can see it avg 80W in third picture.
GPU: 70W (mostly all 12V)

I'll refrain from further posting in this thread, as it'll just cause a distraction and takes away from my credibility as if I'm attacking third party testers.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'm not sure how that proves that the unit "isn't defective." Just because it's not a critical failure, doesn't mean it's not defective. This post really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as if I'm designing products that don't meet the specs I put out.

Here is my set up: 1050 ti, Ryzen 1600, Asrock
Software: Prime 95 and Unigine Valley running
Ambient, 24 C.

Guestimate 12V rail consumption: 11.5A.

SOC+CPU consumption: 75-80W (all 12V rail). You can see it avg 80W in third picture.
GPU: 70W (mostly all 12V)

I'll refrain from further posting in this thread, as it'll just cause a distraction and takes away from my credibility as if I'm attacking third party testers.

Where did I mention that your product doesn't meet the specs you put out? You are selling it as 160W and it clearly meets these specs. I even gave a recommendation for your product and didn't leave a bad word.

Don't get me wrong here, from my point of view the plugin-160 is a great choice for a 160W build and has some overhead

What I said was that I couldn't get 16A from the 12V rail during my tests. And that is actually totally in line with some external reviews of the pico-box 200 plugin which is a good 200W board and gives you max 12A on the 12V rail. Even the HDPlex 200 only states 15A cont. on the 12V rail.

Again, for a 160W plugin its a great product and since you are not officially advertising it as 200W or 300W I can clearly recommend it.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Where did I mention that your product doesn't meet the specs you put out? You are selling it as 160W and it clearly meets these specs. I even gave a recommendation for your product and didn't leave a bad word.

What I said was that I couldn't get 16A from the 12V rail during my tests. And that is actually totally in line with some external reviews of the pico-box 200 plugin which is a good 200W board and gives you max 12A on the 12V rail. Even the HDPlex 200 only states 15A cont. on the 12V rail.

Again, for a 160W plugin its a great product and since you are not officially advertising it as 200W or 300W I can clearly recommend it.

I guess my issue was that yours topped out at 8.5A on the 12V rail.

Compared to my setup, that would be impossible if your the CPU/SOC is 80W and you have a 1050 ti. A regular computer runs very little on the 5/3.3V, pretty much its all on the 12V rail.

Taken at face value, your test results means it doesn't meet the specs, as the computer uses mostly 12V.

What likely is happening is one of the mosfet is not being driven. It has been a long time since I worked on the project but I believe it uses two mosfets for the 12v. All J-HACK Plugin units are rated off the 12v rail, as it is the only rail that matters.

Note, picobox is a different, but similar design. Picobox uses p channel mosfet. Plugin series uses n-channels.

Edit: thank you for your recommendation, but I wanted it to be clear that this is not the norm.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I guess my issue was that yours topped out at 8.5A on the 12V rail.

Compared to my setup, that would be impossible if your the CPU/SOC is 80W and you have a 1050 ti. A regular computer runs very little on the 5/3.3V, pretty much its all on the 12V rail.

Taken at face value, your test results means it doesn't meet the specs, as the computer uses mostly 12V.

What likely is happening is one of the mosfet is not being driven. It has been a long time since I worked on the project but I believe it uses two mosfets for the 12v. All J-HACK Plugin units are rated off the 12v rail, as it is the only rail that matters.

Note, picobox is a different, but similar design. Picobox uses p channel mosfet. Plugin series uses n-channels.

We could easily find out if you or someone has a >125W CPU and 75W GPU powered by your 160 plugin board. If that setup would work under full load testing we have proven that my test sample is indeed defect.

Again, I don't want to talk your product bad or something. I'm just trying to find options for people who need a >300W plugin solution for their build.

Edit: no problem. We both just want to provide the community with good products for their projects. I see no competition here and I'm also open to work on something together to achieve better MOQs and prices for the customers.

Last edited:

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Pls, black PCB and more better heatsink (also black), notebook power in (like HDPLEX 200w). And I will insta get it.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Pls, black PCB and more better heatsink (also black), notebook power in (like HDPLEX 200w). And I will insta get it.

Then I would recommend the G-unique Archdemon for you. It's black and you can ask him to customize everything for you.
I'm trying to make only one standard version and hopefully still can get the price down by that.

Reactions: dKenGuru

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Talking about price/cost and personal preferences I would like to come back to the actual project:
  • Do you prefer to have sleeved cables?
  • How long shall the different cables be?
  • For the DC input cables, would you prefer cable lugs or some other connectors?

oOflyeyesOo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 25, 2020
Option B, but keep the cable lugs separate so we can get our exact length. Also white and black cables instead of that red and black!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Option B, but keep the cable lugs separate so we can get our exact length. Also white and black cables instead of that red and black!

Unfortunately I didn't find any good white cables with 8 or 16 AWG yet. But you could just put a sleeve on. I can also include some shrink tubes and I have white silicone sleeves available.

Reactions: oOflyeyesOo

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
May be better off having the connectors on a short pigtail instead? I dunno, I don't think that part needs to be modular since you have to use the power to use the board. SATA maybe could be modular

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
May be better off having the connectors on a short pigtail instead? I dunno, I don't think that part needs to be modular since you have to use the power to use the board. SATA maybe could be modular

Yeah, I'll probably have to go with pigtail for better compatibility. The main reason I wanted to put the connectors on the pcb is that these are easier to solder compared to the thick cables you'll need for 35A. Maybe I'll go with solid coper wires and then the connectors.

Yes, Sata is modular. CPU and PCIe soldered.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I have a HDPLEX 200W Plug-in inside my Lone. It's modular, but I am not using the Sata or GPU cables at the moment. Here's some pics if that helps.

(When I was experimenting with using a U.2)