• Poll closed .

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I´m currently playing around with ideas for some <= 50,- EUR next-gen APU case and you can help to decide in which direction it shall go...

Currently I have two concepts, based on my RCC-MID1 design:

A) Larger (cube style) to support tall tower coolers and up to two 180/200mm case fans (semi passive)

B) Smaller (console style) with support of <=65mm coolers and up to four 80/92mm case fans

Let me know what you think and I´ll make some drafts.

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Second option is my preference. As small case as possible which can accommodate 80mm fans and internal AC—DC adapter. As a CPU cooler clearance, <65mm is fine since there are a lot of alternatives which can easily cool down any APU. IMO the biggest challenges with the APU cases on the market are obligation to use external brick, cable management, case fans and appearance(and of course AVAILABILITY). You may consider to design a case with integrated PSU. Because there is no standardized passively cooled PSU measures. All of them are different and it is always pita to create a space in the cases especially for adapters and cable routing. If you could provide a <5 lt case with integrated PSU and pre routed custom cables, efficient fan cutouts and attractive look, I am sure there will be interest.

Reactions: khanate

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
Option 2 is a given, around 4l is fine with app, 65 mm of cpu clearance and support for 200w HDplex ac-dc-atx solution.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Interesting vote results so far. I thought more people would be interested in the bigger (semi) passive cooled solution (with AIO support for oOflyeyesOo).

Next questions, since "small as possible" always means compromises:
  • 2.5" drive support or M.2 only?
  • power supply completely internal or partly external?
  • if completely internal, which AC-DC / DC-DC solution would you use?
  • cutout for Type-C header cable or Type-A?

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
I really like the idea of a case for semi-passive APU builds, with fans on either side of the case (creating a sort of wind tunnel effect). I'd rather the case be small and use the Alpine 12 Passive than use a tower cooler.

I'd prefer M.2 only. Slight preference for partly external PSU, to keep case size small without obstructing airflow through the case (I am probably in the minority there, though). No preference on headers.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I'd prefer M.2 only. Slight preference for partly external PSU, to keep case size small without obstructing airflow through the case (I am probably in the minority there, though).

I´m on your side here. But I´ll try to make everyone happy.
How about internal PSU support and if you are OK with external you can use the available space to mount additional SSDs?

I really like the idea of a case for semi-passive APU builds, with fans on either side of the case (creating a sort of wind tunnel effect). I'd rather the case be small and use the Alpine 12 Passive than use a tower cooler.

Didn`t think about this. You are right. For low TDP builds some low profile coolers/heatsinks could probably also be used semi passive. Good point.

Reactions: oOflyeyesOo

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
Interesting vote results so far. I thought more people would be interested in the bigger (semi) passive cooled solution (with AIO support for oOflyeyesOo).

A300 mini supports 2x 2,5" drives and it's under 2l, no need for such compromise. PSU would ideally be internal.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
A300 mini supports 2x 2,5" drives and it's under 2l, no need for such compromise. PSU would ideally be internal.

Well, A300 mini needs an external power brick and has an custom design motherboard. That doesn't count. If people would accept external bricks I could also make it 3 liter or less.

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
As far as I observe the general purposes of having an APU Case are portability, mobility, small footprint and low cost/decent performance. Something that can easily be transported between studio and living room, workplace and home, LAN nights. Must be light and fit in a backpack easily with its peripherals, so students can carry it a couple times in a year between their home and where they study. Something to put under the TV as a media center or to kick your friend’s butt on FIFA.

I personally would go only m2 but I saw sub 4lt case can accommodate a pair of 2.5” SSD.
External bricks are heavy and quite pricey. There are advantages and disadvantages. I would go all internal so external brick doesn’t occupy extra space in a backpack or extra cable and device crowd around. However having internal AC-DC may cause extra heat in the case so the case needs to be well ventilated. I ordered 200w HDplex for my next sub 5lt APU build with Ryzen 4th gen, I am gonna mod the case to place its AC-DC inside. I will submit some feedback for sure.
Since the APU cases are so small, there is easy access to rear I/O. I prefer clean build so no need front I/O. However I am sure some people would like to benefit long awaited USB-C header on the AMD boards together with B550s. It can be an option.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks for your detailed feedback. Much appreciated.

ordered 200w HDplex for my next sub 5lt APU build with Ryzen 4th gen, I am gonna mod the case to place its AC-DC inside. I will submit some feedback for sure.

May I ask what you paid for the complete set? Because you said external bricks are expensive. I would like to make a price comparison, as you know I'm also working on something in this direction.

Last edited:

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Complete set cost me €116 including shipping. I also looked for external brick alternatives before buying this set but a reliable branded bricks were around 70+80 Euro+shipping. If I would combine one of these adapter with a 192w PicoDC-ATX(€50), it would cost me around €120-130+shipping(I also would never have a chance to have a completely internal PSU in the future unless I again buy internal AC-DC adapter). I also found this Dell 240w adapter which is slim and light, it was ideal for me until I see the price tag: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...or-precision-7730/apd/450-ahhe/pc-accessories

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
I´m on your side here. But I´ll try to make everyone happy.
How about internal PSU support and if you are OK with external you can use the available space to mount additional SSDs?
I understand, just giving my 2 cents. I probably wouldn't use that extra space, but it sounds like a good trade-off to me.
Didn`t think about this. You are right. For low TDP builds some low profile coolers/heatsinks could probably also be used semi passive. Good point.
I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle a 65W CPU with proper airflow from the the case fans, but that's just speculation on my end.
Complete set cost me €116 including shipping. I also looked for external brick alternatives before buying this set but a reliable branded bricks were around 70+80 Euro+shipping. If I would combine one of these adapter with a 192w PicoDC-ATX(€50), it would cost me around €120-130+shipping(I also would never have a chance to have a completely internal PSU in the future unless I again buy internal AC-DC adapter).
For a U.S. comparison, a PicoPSU with a bundled power adapter is 89 USD for 160W, 79 USD for 150W, and 69 USD for 120W. Shipping is free. They are priced pretty reasonably here.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
For a U.S. comparison, a PicoPSU with a bundled power adapter is 89 USD for 160W, 79 USD for 150W, and 69 USD for 120W. Shipping is free. They are priced pretty reasonably here.

That’s an issue I mentioned to Till in another related topic. All decent and affordable PSU alternatives are either in US or Asia. Only option in Europe is HDplex unless you import alternatives from US and therefore pay custom tax and long shipping durations. So it would be great to have an affordable alternative also in Europe.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That’s an issue I mentioned to Till in another related topic. All decent and affordable PSU alternatives are either in US or Asia. Only option in Europe is HDplex unless you import alternatives from US and therefore pay custom tax and long shipping durations. So it would be great to have an affordable alternative also in Europe.

The biggest issue with selling electronics in Europe is CE and WEEE. This costs money and isn't worth the trouble if only selling small quantities. Even if I would just include a power button or power cable with my cases I would have to apply for CE and WEEE. I know a lot of vendors don't care about this which makes it difficult for me...

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
not ready to publish yet but how does this sound?
  • 4 liter
  • 2 x 2.5" SSD mount
  • low profile GPU support with external power brick + plugin PSU
  • APU only with internal power brick + plugin PSU
  • 60mm CPU cooler clearance (or better 65mm?)

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Sounds great. About the CPU Cooler clearance, it is always tricky to decide it. Everybody wants as high clearance as possible but as small case as possible. There are already a lot of strong <50mm coolers like NH-L9a, Blackridge, Cryorig C7 and new coming IS-47. In case someone wanna use Blackridge and IS-47 with double fan mod by adding another A12x15 on it, that increases the total height to 62mm for both. At 60mm range there are IS-60 and AXP-100 as an alternative. That is why it is tricky to decide between 50-60 and 65mm. Once you have 65mm clearance, people will ask for 70mm clearance for NH-L12s. So I don’t know what to say :)