Power Supply Review / Teardown | 700W Modular FLEX Power Supply from TaoBao 7760B (MF-700F)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

The side view reveals an SRC/LLC+SR Controller which is another indicator that it really has 90+ efficiency.

these photos are accurate.

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Great review, and one that made me feel alright enough to purchase it.

Been using it a couple of days to power at 4650G and 3060, so totally overkill in terms of wattage.

So far not much issues, but the fan at full tilt is seriously noisy. Initially, there was very bad coil whine, butr seems to go away after a while, thankfully.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
using it a couple of days to power at 4650G and 3060, so totally overkill in terms of wattage

I'd say that is a good match. When it comes to FLEX PSUs I definitely prefer to use one with "overkill wattage" and then replace the noisy stock fan with a Noctua to get a more quiet setup while not having to worry about the PSU dying from overheating XD

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
you should swap it with a Noctua fan.
I'd say that is a good match. When it comes to FLEX PSUs I definitely prefer to use one with "overkill wattage" and then replace the noisy stock fan with a Noctua to get a more quiet setup while not having to worry about the PSU dying from overheating XD
Looking into a Noctua fan swap, for sure.

Definitely 'overkill wattage' is the way to I went for, for some peace of mind. So far, I can report that the fan doesn't go full tilt often or at all actually, after that initial start in the first few days. Or maybe my noise tolerance is really high, as my standing fan next to me can drown out a lot of things.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Great review, and one that made me feel alright enough to purchase it.

Been using it a couple of days to power at 4650G and 3060, so totally overkill in terms of wattage.

if you're looking for a 6.0 litre case, with NFC SkySlots, to go with it, this video has what you need :

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
if you're looking for a 6.0 litre case, with NFC SkySlots, to go with it, this video has what you need :

and here's a photo of the finished version (buyer chooses screw type) :

Interesting! It's like a Flex PSU Dr Zaber Sentry?

Although I would prefer a vertical sandwich case for my use case, and very happy with my K39 right now too.

JournaL

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
I have the Z-case P50 case along with a Enhance 7660B PSU from SFFTEC powering a underpowered 5800x at 65W and a RTX 3090 (at 90% power) on a custom liquid cooled loop with 8 fans.

Obviously not ideal, but is stable to run triple AAA titles at 4K at decent FPS. I am looking for a PSU upgrade and Flex options are quite limited. Based on the build quality I am somewhat concerned. Of course anyone can put labels on, and until there is a full PSU test and review, I am hesitant to try this PSU out on my build. It is an intriguing option.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I am looking for a PSU upgrade and Flex options are quite limited. Based on the build quality I am somewhat concerned. Of course anyone can put labels on, and until there is a full PSU test and review.

it is fully tested, but if you need video evidence of a different power unit, Josh | NFC tested a modular FSP unit, in the above video.

let me know if you want an AliExpress weblink, for this modular FSP unit.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I have the Z-case P50 case along with a Enhance 7660B PSU from SFFTEC powering a underpowered 5800x at 65W and a RTX 3090 (at 90% power) on a custom liquid cooled loop with 8 fans.

Obviously not ideal, but is stable to run triple AAA titles at 4K at decent FPS. I am looking for a PSU upgrade and Flex options are quite limited. Based on the build quality I am somewhat concerned. Of course anyone can put labels on, and until there is a full PSU test and review, I am hesitant to try this PSU out on my build. It is an intriguing option.

if you already got an Enhance 7660B there is no reason to change that because IMHO this is the best quality high power FLEX PSU available right now. I only got the MF-700F because the Enhance is difficult to get and bloody expensive here where I live.

Josh | NFC tested a modular FSP unit, in the above video.

The FSP Flexguru is only rated 500W and 80+ Gold so that also wouldn't be an upgrade over the Enhance 7660B

Reactions: scatterforce

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The FSP Flexguru is only rated 500W and 80+ Gold so that also wouldn't be an upgrade over the Enhance 7660B

Josh | NFC believes that the 7660B is noisy at 500W, while the FSP FlexGuru w/ noctua fan, is semi-silent at 500W.

but his test might be faulty.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Josh | NFC believes that the 7660B is noisy at 500W, while the FSP FlexGuru w/ noctua fan, is semi-silent at 500W.

but his test might be faulty.

Well, that's a strange statement, if he's comparing a Noctua-modded FSP with a stock Enhance. With a Noctua fan swap you can make any FLEX PSU more silent. But like I said before, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that if you are going to run it at/near rated output loads - there is a reason why manufacturers are using high RPM fans in those PSUs.

As a rule of thumb I generally don't run my FLEX PSUs over 65% rated load with a Noctua fan swap in order to keep noise and temps acceptable.

Reactions: rfarmer

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
i can't verify Josh | NFC 's tests, because he does testing off-screen, & then describes them afterwards in his videos.

i personally prefer the AliExpress black color 7760B.

Leo1linksalvaje

Efficiency Noob
Mar 9, 2021
I did a few more tests with a 4020 / 5000RPM fan today. It's not a Noctua but has similar airflow characteristics.

I also have to correct my original post: the fan is temperature controlled. Here is my "guestimate" how the fan curve looks like:

I'm not sure where / how they measure the temperature but IMO the most important area is near the caps as they are the most heat-senitive part inside your PSU. As hotter the caps get, the sooner they will fail (see example below). So I placed a temperature probe in this area.

1st test: 30 minutes 300W load / 4020, 5000RPM fan / Exhaust (standard orientation)

2nd test: 30 minutes 300W load / 4020, 5000RPM fan / Intake

Interesting results. With the fan in standard orientation (exhaust) the internals of the PSU seem to get much hotter. So why is the fan on most FLEX PSUs exhaust? Honestly, I have no idea. I work a lot with industrial power supplies and most of them have the fan set as intake, pushing fresh air inside the PSU. For FLEX maybe they do it because of dust, fan turbulence (noise) or to prevent additional hot air is pushed in your PC... Anyways, guess they have a reason to do so.
Excellent work!. Very informative for a Powerfull 700W Flex PSU, as an alternative to the famous ENHANCE 7660B although it's chinese.

knuck

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2021
Given that they make these, I wonder if it's posstible to have the PCB extend out from the side, thus giving more space to the connector (should be enough for MOBO+EPS+2 PCIe)
I'm also wondering has anyone try to attach 2 80mm fan on the top to imporve noise and thermal

something like This

Last edited by a moderator:

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Update: OVERTEK now offers the original ENHANCE 7760B pre-modded with a Noctua fan for a reasonable price and full warranty. I would probably go for that one instead of the TaoBao 7760B.
Big thanks for the update! I'm looking for a flex psu to reduce the height of my build.

Is the 7760B the 700W? Can't find it on Overtek's website, they only offer the 600W

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Big thanks for the update! I'm looking for a flex psu to reduce the height of my build.

Is the 7760B the 700W? Can't find it on Overtek's website, they only offer the 600W

Sorry, that was a typo. Overtek offers the Enhance 7660B which is a 600W PSU - meaning it can deliver 600W cont. on the 12V rail.

To be fair, I haven't load tested if the "Extreme Cat 7760B" from TaoBao can really deliver 700W cont. I'm using it only up to 450W in order to keep it reasonably cool with the Noctua fan mod and that is working fine so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: timginter

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Thanks, @REVOCCASES. Thought a 700W flex PSU with an official noctua mod will be quieter than the 600W. Now my portable PC draws max 270W at the plug during TimeSpy so 7660B should be plenty even if I upgrade my GPU at some point.

Big thanks for the detailed analysis! Just waiting for a Gelid Slim Silence AM4 - if it's as good as reviews say, that cooler and the 7660B + noctua mod will be a great combo for 65W CPU SFF builds

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks, @REVOCCASES. Thought a 700W flex PSU with an official noctua mod will be quieter than the 600W. Now my portable PC draws max 270W at the plug during TimeSpy so 7660B should be plenty even if I upgrade my GPU at some point.

Big thanks for the detailed analysis! Just waiting for a Gelid Slim Silence AM4 - if it's as good as reviews say, that cooler and the 7660B + noctua mod will be a great combo for 65W CPU SFF builds

Just an idea - but if noise is important to you and you're fine with modding, you could use a dedicated fan speed controller to make a "0-RPM FLEX PSU" for your build.

For example something like this:

Could set it so that the fan would kick in and ramp up when the PSU is reaching 55 - 60C under load.

• Love
Reactions: timginter