Power Supply Review / Teardown | 700W Modular FLEX Power Supply from TaoBao 7760B (MF-700F)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@dummyadmn1901 found that there is a new revision of the MF-700F being sold...

not really sure if that's an improvement though...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@dummyadmn1901 found that there is a new revision of the MF-700F being sold...

not really sure if that's an improvement though...
I'm certainly not convinced the new revision of that modular Flex supply is better, seems to remove flexibility and add risk of confusion and difficulty replacing the cables.

But, I did notice today that FSP offer a couple of 80 Plus Platinum-rated FlexATX supplies, at 500W and 850W!

They're obviously aimed at industrial use so I assume they're loud (no sound output numbers quoted) especially given they're rated for operation at 50C. That said, 850W leaves a fair bit of room to allow fan swaps for noise reduction even after de-rating, no?

FSP500-50FDB (500W / 80Plus Gold)

41A on 12V rail (492W) with +/- 5% regulation and 120mV ripple
Note: Max 90W combined on 3.3V/5V rails

FlexATX form factor (81.5 x 40.5) x 150mm length

FSP850-50FGPH3 (850W / 80Plus Platinum)

70.8A on 12V rail (849.6W) with +/- 5% regulation and 120mV ripple
Note: Max 100W combined on 3.3V/5V rails

FlexATX form factor (81.5 x 40.5) x 220mm length

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
FSP500-50FDB is fairy noise and gold rated rather than platinum. The 850W pretty long, be interested in that if it had good availability and a not to silly price. Let us know your local pricing if they are available in your territory.

Because MOQ on fsp is 300pcs, even for satellite companies like FSP in UK of Germany, it pends on the satalite taking a risk, which they won't tend to do unless they have a customer / customers that wil have that level of demand.

FSP500-50FDB tends to be available in most territories.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
FSP500-50FDB is fairy noise and gold rated rather than platinum. The 850W pretty long, be interested in that if it had good availability and a not to silly price. Let us know your local pricing if they are available in your territory.

Because MOQ on fsp is 300pcs, even for satellite companies like FSP in UK of Germany, it pends on the satalite taking a risk, which they won't tend to do unless they have a customer / customers that wil have that level of demand.

FSP500-50FDB tends to be available in most territories.
Not a distro or reseller here, just a random guy who spotted it on FSP website. :)

The 500W isn't particularly interesting, especially if only Gold rated, as it means it'll be loud/warm and there are easier/better options available at that power level. The 850W is really what I was interested in looking at, but it's REALLY long compared to a standard FlexATX supply (220mm vs 150mm!)

I also have no idea on the actual performance of the unit, but thought it's something worth looking at for those searching for higher-power FlexATX (especially if they have the space and don't care about noise levels).

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Not a distro or reseller here, just a random guy who spotted it on FSP website. :)

The 500W isn't particularly interesting, especially if only Gold rated, as it means it'll be loud/warm and there are easier/better options available at that power level. The 850W is really what I was interested in looking at, but it's REALLY long compared to a standard FlexATX supply (220mm vs 150mm!)

I also have no idea on the actual performance of the unit, but thought it's something worth looking at for those searching for higher-power FlexATX (especially if they have the space and don't care about
That's alright, we'll have a little poke again on the 850W. I need to find out if anyone tier 1 is bringing anything fresh to market.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
If your going the way of longer, I have one other suggestion Zippy PIP-5800K2. Server orientated (inc PMBUS1.2), Platinum, 190mm long Flex ATX.

Will be expensive a very rough figure would be some where in the region of 400-450USD (end user price, maybe even more).

P1P-5AB0G2 Possible 1200W as well 230mm long but suspect that's Gold, old, and not in production will certainly have fan screaming more than a jet engine with fulll reheat on.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk

I also have no idea on the actual performance of the unit, but thought it's something worth looking at for those searching for higher-power FlexATX (especially if they have the space and don't care about noise levels).
Well well I have some news for you, Set your alarm very loosely to around September, as it seems there well be some made available. It is a server orientated unit and it looks suspiciously like a 40mm width fan "WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU" but we'll try and find out some more on that as the full specs I have, aside from confirming Platinum, are very tentative on the Fan and mearly speculate that it should have both thermal and load fan control in place ie working specs.

If there's any serious interest out there, then I'll happily provide a quote, its not cheap, but its not super silly either. Expected to be in the >200USD but <300USD range

1649420470302.png

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Well well I have some news for you, Set your alarm very loosely to around September, as it seems there well be some made available. It is a server orientated unit and it looks suspiciously like a 40mm width fan "WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU" but we'll try and find out some more on that as the full specs I have, aside from confirming Platinum, are very tentative on the Fan and mearly speculate that it should have both thermal and load fan control in place ie working specs.

If there's any serious interest out there, then I'll happily provide a quote, its not cheap, but its not super silly either. Expected to be in the >200USD but <300USD range

View attachment 1713
Awwww yess, I do wonder whether the 40mm deep fan means we could potentially have a 20mm at each end instead...? Or some alternative that isn't so monstrously loud. (Or at least has some fan control.)

I know the fans inside the dual 900W PSUs of my Dell rack server are actually reasonably quiet, I should go have a look at what they're using...

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Awwww yess, I do wonder whether the 40mm deep fan means we could potentially have a 20mm at each end instead...? Or some alternative that isn't so monstrously loud. (Or at least has some fan control.)

I know the fans inside the dual 900W PSUs of my Dell rack server are actually reasonably quiet, I should go have a look at what they're using...
Will see what's what some time next week hopefully.

atmosFearz_sff

Cable Smoosher
Jul 7, 2022
Hello, can you provide any info on Noctua fan you are using. I’ve ordered 40x20 FLX 12V, but then noticed someone on YouTube recommends 5V version to connect it direct to PSU fan header. Thanks

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
There is no real enhance 7760b. I mean Chinese one, same with mf700.
For those use a 12Vdc fan. We supply genuine Enhance ENP-7660B, but I recently received specifications for one of these cloned type (pictured below)

The efficiency and fan mapping for the below means you want to be using a 12V fan. Specifications efficiency: ≥82%. @ full load. 12V @ 39A max continous on that rail.

The other interesting spec is the below on the PSU's MTBF:

6.1 When the ambient temperature is 25°C, the AC input voltage is 220VAC 50Hz, and
the load is 100%, the MTBF ≥30K hours.
6.2 When the ambient temperature is 40°C, the AC input voltage is 220VAC 50Hz, and
the load is 80%, the MTBF ≥20K hours.

The short life cycle is probably largely a reflection of the component set used. But if you not using it in a 24/7 application or server that short MTBF might not be a big problem.

Just bear in mind the Noctua has a relatively low cfm because it has a lower rpm which is an inherent limit due to the fluid bearing tech they used. ie you can't do high rpm fluid bearings, well Noctua advise they can't with their tech anyway.

A good half way house that may suit this power supply would be a Sunon MF4020VX-1000U-A99.

1657624152116.png

atmosFearz_sff

Cable Smoosher
Jul 7, 2022
This is a picture of PSU I ordered (Extreme Cat 7760b). YTC Seller did this mod, so it seems ok to connect Noctua fan directly to PSU fan header and no mods required. I just wonder if it’s ok that Noctua fan spins really slow (if spins at all) until temperatures are high enough.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is a picture of PSU I ordered (Extreme Cat 7760b). YTC Seller did this mod, so it seems ok to connect Noctua fan directly to PSU fan header and no mods required. I just wonder if it’s ok that Noctua fan spins really slow (if spins at all) until temperatures are high enough.

I've modded mine too with a 12V Noctua - no issues so far but I'm usually only pulling about 350W max.

atmosFearz_sff

Cable Smoosher
Jul 7, 2022
I’ve finally received my 7760b, internally it looks almost the same to your mf700, but caps are jianghai. Noctua fan mod is must have, stock fan is too loud.
But I am experiencing some problems: when I click boot button on my pc, PSU start up time in range from 3 to 15 seconds and that’s feels not normal to me. I haven’t experienced such problems on original 7660b. Does anyone know what is happening?