Concept RCC-MODRAD40 - a customizable thin and small radiator for 40mm fans

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
For my RCC-THIN1 thin mini ITX case I was looking for different cooling solutions when I came up with the idea to make it water cooled. Unfortunately I did not find any affordable radiator which would fit my case design. Finally I came up with the idea to build my own radiator out of aluminum profiles.

The advantage of using aluminum profiles is that it is quite customizable in terms of lenght, width and height.

For example I could imagine to make a rad like this with roughly the size of a FLEX PSU so people could put a custom loop even in some tiny cases which would normally not allow that ...

Below you can see my first prototype test cooling a 65W CPU running prime95 and despite still having a lot of air bubbles in the loop & only using one 4010 fan it keeps the CPU below 65C (at 27C room temperature).

Just let me know what you think and if there would be interest in the community for something like that. Maybe you still have ideas for possible use-case scenarios?

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
Whoa, this'd be a gamechanger for me. I'm using a Skyreach 4 mini and if I swapped the HD Plex dc-dc unit for a pico unit I'd be able to fit this and cool my 3600x!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Whoa, this'd be a gamechanger for me. I'm using a Skyreach 4 mini and if I swapped the HD Plex dc-dc unit for a pico unit I'd be able to fit this and cool my 3600x!

Great idea.

Do you know which size it would need to be to fit and if it would work airflow-wise?

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
Will get back to you soon! Going to flip my GPU and order some new cables. I'll have a better idea of measurements then. Will get back to you ASAP.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
just tried another setup today to show you the flexibility of this concept...

this one is shorter but thicker and uses 3x 4020 silent 5000 RPM PWM fans. noise is comparable to normal air coolers.

• 65W CPU temp after two hours stress test: max. 68C (despite air bubbles and no res)
  • Water temp: max. 48C
  • Ambient temp: 28C
Now you might argue that a good air cooler can do better but hey, where is the fun in that? ;)

Reactions: Vir

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
That one looks way easier to accomodate in my setup. What are the dimensions of the second cooler? ?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That one looks way easier to accomodate in my setup. What are the dimensions of the second cooler? ?

This one is 120x40x30 without fans and tube connections.

Best just give me the max dimensions you would need and I check if I can make something suitable.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Does the pump/cpu block combo have a copper coldplate? Because if it does, corrosion is incoming with an aluminum radiator...

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
But even mixed metal loops can work fine if using the correct coolant.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

BTW, have you seen this radiator from Alphacool?

It's 147 x 40 x 41 mm, so with 40x40x25mm fans it should be 147 x 40 x 66 mm which fits Flex ATX...

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Interesting, I didn't know that.

BTW, have you seen this radiator from Alphacool?

It's 147 x 40 x 41 mm, so with 40x40x25mm fans it should be 147 x 40 x 66 mm which fits Flex ATX...

Yeah, the alphacool is nice but also pricy. My solution would only cost half.

The Dynatron 1U AIO is also worth a look:

Reactions: morj