Production RCC-MID2 | compact industrial style vertical case

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Glad to hear that.

If you like I can send you one MID2 prototype for review / testing. Would you be interested?

That is a very tempting proposition.

Unfortunately at the moment i only have a few short duel fan/blower GPUs on hand (3070 FE, 2070 Ventus, 1080ti FE) and I am not sure they would be able to provide very useful testing reference points given the tri-axial fan use case the design is obviously built around. I do intend to pick up one of the new higher TDP cards in the new year but given stock levels in Australia i have no idea when that will actually eventuate.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That is a very tempting proposition.

Unfortunately at the moment i only have a few short duel fan/blower GPUs on hand (3070 FE, 2070 Ventus, 1080ti FE) and I am not sure they would be able to provide very useful testing reference points given the tri-axial fan use case the design is obviously built around. I do intend to pick up one of the new higher TDP cards in the new year but given stock levels in Australia i have no idea when that will actually eventuate.

That's no problem. If you use a shorter card you could add a second fan on the AIO, running it in push-pull to see if that gives you some better CPU thermals. Since the case is limited to the 120mm AIO it certainly is only interesting for some medium spec build. So your RTX3070 / RTX2070 fits pretty good. Let's discuss the details on Discord. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
new prototype and sample build incoming... (don't mind the screws, scratches and slight misalignment... it's just for testing assembly and compatibility)

As you can see I did a few changes. The new design allows to offer custom made GPU side panels according to your liking (including window panels). For the sample I choose to make only a few vent slots to check thermals. Result: the GPU keeps as cool as on an open bench! With a 2-Slot Card I could even use a completely closed side panel as fresh air can enter the case through the gaps I made.

New specs of the case:
  • Size: 390 x 140 x 180 mm // 9.8L
  • Cooler Support: 120mm AIO
  • GPU Length: 300mm with 120x25mm fan // 310mm with 120x15mm
  • GPU Thickness: max. 2.7 Slots
  • PSU: SFX(-L)
  • SSDs: only M.2

Building is pretty easy: First install the MOBO, PSU and AIO...

...and then the GPU in front

This is definitely much better looking... especially the power button side? More stylish in my humble opinion. The I/O side looks cool as well.
The only question left is how's the temps!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This is definitely much better looking... especially the power button side? More stylish in my humble opinion. The I/O side looks cool as well.
The only question left is how's the temps!

Thank you. :)

I still made a few minor design changes and added flaps / gaps on the other side of the main chassis so it looks more consistent. Also added a few more slots on the GPU side cover.

Temps are pretty good with my 4650G and RTX2080S. During some gaming tests I got:

CPU: 67C average
GPU: 77C average

I guess with the additional gaps and slots I made we'll see even a few degrees less.

I'll post an update with the new samples next week. :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
with the additional flaps / cutouts it really looks better from my POV. I'm pretty satisfied how it turned out and I'm going to send the sample out for surface treatment. I'm not a big fan of powder coating but considering how many parts from the BIG1 and MID1 I have to scrap due to anodizing surface marks I am going to give it a try for the MID2.

Reactions: lasek

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Updated slot layout looks great, i think the gaps/brackets between the panels look very industrial and have a similar ID identity to the MID1.

How is the stability/rigidity of the case once assembled and when mid-build? Are you using torx or philips screws?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Updated slot layout looks great, i think the gaps/brackets between the panels look very industrial and have a similar ID identity to the MID1.

How is the stability/rigidity of the case once assembled and when mid-build? Are you using torx or philips screws?

Thanks. I also think the design matches good with the style of my other cases.

The case gets its stability once fully assembled. Before you put the GPU side panel on, it will be quite flexible but nothing to worry about since you have to lay it on the side when you put in your components. Similar like the MID1, this design is optimized for cost effective manufacturing so I can offer this case at a similar, affordable price tag.

I ordered both, Phillips and Torx screws. I somehow think Torx might look better. What would you prefer?

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
The case gets its stability once fully assembled. Before you put the GPU side panel on, it will be quite flexible but nothing to worry about since you have to lay it on the side when you put in your components. Similar like the MID1, this design is optimized for cost effective manufacturing so I can offer this case at a similar, affordable price tag.

I ordered both, Phillips and Torx screws. I somehow think Torx might look better. What would you prefer?

That makes sense to me, provided it’s stable once assembled I think everyone would be satisfied.

Personally I think I would prefer torx, they fit the industrial look and are less likely to get rounded off and look worn after a few builds. I guess it might be an issue for newer builders without many tools?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Personally I think I would prefer torx, they fit the industrial look and are less likely to get rounded off and look worn after a few builds. I guess it might be an issue for newer builders without many tools?

The easiest would be to include two different pairs of screws or a torx key. This would only add about 2 EUR to the final price. ;)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Well, that was fast! while waiting 2 ~ 3 weeks for anodized parts, the powder coating was done in just one day and it turned out pretty good!

The color is more gray than black but has some "metallic" touch. You can't see this in the pictures but it looks really good.

Guess I can fix the specs now (see first post). What do you think?

I didn't really thing about this but the layout comes with a nice bonus: you can use the standard length cables that come with your SFX PSU and the AIO tubes also have just the right length. Building in this case is really pretty easy.

Reactions: rfarmer and lasek

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
Looks very good, great and fast progress from the first designs, congrats.

I like the screws and the paint job!

Are all cables to be routed through the bottom left hole ? How is the GPU held and why is there a cut below it ?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looks very good, great and fast progress from the first designs, congrats.

I like the screws and the paint job!

Are all cables to be routed through the bottom left hole ? How is the GPU held and why is there a cut below it ?

Thank you 🙂

Motherboard I/O faces to the back and is easily accessible. Only the GPU cable needs to be put in from the bottom and can be routed out to the back through a cutout. The big cutout at the bottom is there to help plugin the HDMI cable.

GPU is hold in place via a bracket which is fixed at the bottom of the case (you can see the three screw holes in one of the pictures).

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
I see, are you satisfied with the GPU stability as is ? (especially for transportation)

While we are at it,
- does it require an angled displayport connector ?
- what riser model do you use here, is it the right lenght ?
- have you assessed the options for a diplayport I/O ?

The more I look at the case, the more I think it suits exactly my needs, I hope you get more feedback and move forward with this project so I can get one

Last edited:

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Well, that was fast! while waiting 2 ~ 3 weeks for anodized parts, the powder coating was done in just one day and it turned out pretty good!

The color is more gray than black but has some "metallic" touch. You can't see this in the pictures but it looks really good.

Guess I can fix the specs now (see first post). What do you think?

Wow, that really did move quickly. I like the design a lot and think the vent pattern has come together nicely with the finish applied to the case.

Personally i think i would prefer a more black colour because i am all about that matte-black-life 😅 but based on the pictures the finish looks well done.

I would also like to know if an angled display port connector would be required, those new display port 1.4 cables tend to be pretty thick and inflexible at the connector in my experience.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I see, are you satisfied with the GPU stability as is ? (especially for transportation)

While we are at it,
- does it require an angled displayport connector ?
- what riser model do you use here, is it the right lenght ?
- have you assessed the options for a diplayport I/O ?

The more I look at the case, the more I think it suits exactly my needs, I hope you get more feedback and move forward with this project so I can get one

Well, the case was not designed to take it on a road trip but you should be fine if you want to take it to a LAN and handle it with care.

Angled HDMI connectors are a must as the clearance below the GPU is only 27mm. I will include a pigtail cable as shown below together with the case:

If you need to use Display Port, I will offer a slim extension cable similar as shown below. These are pretty expensive and most people are fine with HDMI so this is an optional upgrade (+ EUR 10,-). The DP extension works with: 1080P@240Hz, 2K@144/165Hz, 4K@60Hz ) // same limitations as the Velka7

The case will come with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable (probably pre-bent). I have tested many different riser cables and I'm pretty happy with the one on the left side below.

I have made four samples in total. One I will keep for myself and one goes to Intrepid_Cosmonaut. Still two left if you want to check it out. ;)

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Wow, that really did move quickly. I like the design a lot and think the vent pattern has come together nicely with the finish applied to the case.

Personally i think i would prefer a more black colour because i am all about that matte-black-life 😅 but based on the pictures the finish looks well done.

I would also like to know if an angled display port connector would be required, those new display port 1.4 cables tend to be pretty thick and inflexible at the connector in my experience.

Thank you.

The color is really difficult to show in a picture so here is a comparison between the case and a black SFX PSU:

Soon you can have a look yourself. :)

Concerning HDMI and Display Port:

• I will include a HDMI 2.0 angled pigtail cable with each case
  • If you need a Display Port connector I can offer a DP1.2 compliant slim extension cable (+ EUR 10,-)
    the DP extension works with: 1080P@240Hz, 2K@144/165Hz, 4K@60Hz

• Love

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
one more thing... you might have noticed that there are no feet on the case.

That is because the case actually does not need any feet. I am planning to include just some thin felt material which you can stick under the case (DIY) to prevent scratching your desk.

If you prefer to stick some real feet on, there are enough choices on Amazon&Co. ...

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
one more thing... you might have noticed that there are no feet on the case.

Ahh nice, i have always thought that feet give a lot of taller cases odd proportions. Another alternative might be these rubber stick on pads that sliger uses for his metal plate bases, they give the case some grip/stability without really being visible at all.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Another alternative might be these rubber stick on pads

At first I also had this idea but I think there is one disadvantage using rubber pads: since the case does not have any front I/O you might need to slide it around a bit from time to time to access the rear I/O. If you use rubber pads the case will really stick on your desk. Using the felt pads you could still slide / turn it without having to lift it. 🤔

are you satisfied with the GPU stability as is ? (especially for transportation)

Just to make sure I took it for a 10 km test ride including some bumpy roads. No issues observed, GPU is still in place.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
:cool: That's some seriously fast QC ! I mostly travel by train though :p

I am interested into acquiring a case, and live in EU.
The build I plan is subject to Zen3/RDNA2 availability so I might not be able to provide quick feedback
Currently I run a LZ7 with i7 8700 / RTX 2070
Drop me a PM to work details !

Reactions: REVOCCASES