Rad Box

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

Got bored and started playing with hardware I've had stashed for a build I conceptualized over two years ago. I am planning on doing a custom case for this build in the next couple of months and thought I'd start off with a bit of a teaser.

The core of the build is an AsRock Z97E-ITX/AC, Intel 4790K and a 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LP RAM kit

Add one EK Annihilator 1U CPU Block with 3/4" adapter fittings

So far so good... For the next part please disregard the heatsink and fan, this card is merely for illustrative purposes

And finally the EKWB Coolstream WE 180mm Radiator and Fan Combo

To fill in the blanks, my basic concept here is to hard tube the CPU/GPU and then run all flow through a heat insulating backplate (likely acrylic) that completely separates these two components from the radiator and fan. On the other side of the divider, the fan will push cool air from a 1-2 CM gap between it and the divider, through the radiator and out into the room. The obvious upside here is that the radiator and fan side of the case effectively functions as a rad box due to its thermal isolation from the CPU/GPU by the insulating layer between the two halves. The reason I've chosen a single 180mm radiator is that it has 13% more surface area than a 240mm radiator and it's almost perfectly sized to run parallel behind an ITX motherboard (180mm x 218mm).

The orientation I will likely use for this build is like a fat S4 mini with the GPU/CPU in a stacked configuration on one side of the divider facing the same direction using a long Li Heat riser. The coolant would pass from the hardware to the back compartment where radiator, fan, pump, reservoir and Flex ATX power supply would be housed. With this configuration I would probably use an HDPlex modular bridge to pass current from a Flex ATX on the radiator side to the motherboard side and then a flow through port in the divider to move liquid between the two sides. I haven't totally decided on which design to go for yet, but I'm excited to play around with things. Please let me know what you guys think or if you see any glaring errors with my line of thought. Cheers!

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
What's the total height once the GPU is singe slot ?
Is this the inward PCIe riser from idioticpc ?

I had a similar setup in mind but stuffed in a Antec ISK 110... Hmmm

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Got to love that low profile of the board, RAM and CPU waterblock. Interesting !