Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
That's part of the design, to make the rear panels modular so you can either use a mini ITX or thin mini ITX board :)
Would you be okay with going completely m.2 for storage? You'll probably need to for most APU builds, unless you use a very short cooler under 30mm in height.
that was totally already the plan lol :) trying to find a case to house my stepdaughters build in should be buying most of the parts beginning of next month

2ear

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2018
Another small update:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Instead of one large bracket, I could probably split up the bracket into two parts, and combine both with two SSDs mounted normally. These are just very rough examples to illustrate the idea.

For one SSD, that can be rotated 90 degrees with another hole in the middle to hold it in place, and remove one of the bracket parts. You can choose to place it more towards the back or towards the front of the case.

Other possible ways that these brackets can be used is to mount case fans (for heatsinks above the CPU), or for those that want to go brickless in power, mounting points for MeanWell's smaller 150W power supplies.

I think if the bracket have more optional for mounting it will be more usefull.
For brickless build it just for mini itx, but for thin mini itx not'? Can thin mini itx build (with amd wx 4100) be brickless'?

Reactions: CC Ricers

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
For brickless build it just for mini itx, but for thin mini itx not'? Can thin mini itx build (with amd wx 4100) be brickless'?

What 2ear says. I would PREFER brickless.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

What 2ear says. I would PREFER brickless.

Actually it'll probably be easier to go brickless with a thin mini ITX build than with mini ITX. It would support a power supply with a 2x4 inch footprint which several 150W-200W power supplies have. The MeanWell EPP 200 is a known one here, but it'll be better if you can use the EOS Power ULP180 which is even slimmer. It will just cost more than the MeanWell. I'll need to make some through measurements on parts clearance to get the exact measurements that it can support.

2ear

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2018
Actually it'll probably be easier to go brickless with a thin mini ITX build than with mini ITX. It would support a power supply with a 2x4 inch footprint which several 150W-200W power supplies have. The MeanWell EPP 200 is a known one here, but it'll be better if you can use the EOS Power ULP180 which is even slimmer. It will just cost more than the MeanWell. I'll need to make some through measurements on parts clearance to get the exact measurements that it can support.

I dont understand about electrical, but thin mini itx dont have 24 pin atx and just have 4 or 2 pin atx (just for supply cpu?), is it possible to supply all stuff include gpu? or with different way?

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I dont understand about electrical, but thin mini itx dont have 24 pin atx and just have 4 pin atx (just for supply cpu?), is it possible to supply all stuff include gpu'?

The 4 pin (or sometimes 2 pin) ATX powers the whole board. It's an alternative to using the DC power jack with a power brick so you cannot use both at the same time, it's either-or. In my particular board it needs to get a 12V input on the 4 pin ATX and can take up to 150W.

2ear

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2018
The 4 pin (or sometimes 2 pin) ATX powers the whole board. It's an alternative to using the DC power jack with a power brick so you cannot use both at the same time, it's either-or. In my particular board it needs to get a 12V input on the 4 pin ATX and can take up to 150W.

After browsing I found this :

So from MeanWell EPP 200 to 4 pin dc jack (like pict) to 4 pin at motherboard'?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Not quite, you don't need a barrel connector as that's for external power bricks. @aquelito and @Thehack have more experience with MeanWell power supplies than I do, especially for thin mini ITX so they know how to hook them up to systems. They have a few examples in their topics to show how it's done.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
After browsing I found this :

So from MeanWell EPP 200 to 4 pin dc jack (like pict) to 4 pin at motherboard'?

You need to do 4pin ATX to whatever type of connector the meanwell PSU uses. The meanwell PSU connects directly to the motherboard. No DC jack.

Meanwell usually use a JSP connector or screw terminals.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Meanwell PSUs usually have a small 6-pin Molex brand connector, looks like this one. I have to find some premade cables using that connector and cut/crimp on a 4-pin to attach to the motherboard, or just have to make them all from scratch myself. The smaller connector on the other end is for the 120V AC in, which you need to connect an AC power socket. For a case of this size, IEC C8 is the best choice.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
using a meanwell PSU in it (if it works) makes me want this EVEN MORE. PLEASE make this work...........

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I see a few more interested buyers, so I want to announce that I'm able to take pre-orders for the first few cases :D

Right now there is no website or official order form. If you wish to purchase the case, you'd have to PM me to arrange it (accepting PayPal only). I have set it at $95 plus shipping for the first batch of cases. Right now I have four cases worth of panels which means I have four cases for the first batch, plus the additional order to print the frames for these cases, which I can do once a purchase is made.

Orders can go live as soon as possible, but keep in mind that each case is made-to-order. While most of the panels are ready, expect a lead time of about two weeks at the least, between ordering and shipping. This accounts for the time needed to buy the extra parts needed to finish and pack the case.

Revenue from the first batch sales will go mostly towards further testing and development of the case (overhead for more orders, electronic components, etc.)

For $95 plus shipping you get:
  • Matte black case (gloss for front panel) with main panels pre-assembled
  • Rear panels for both mini ITX and thin-mini ITX boards
  • Mounting points for two SSDs
  • Black vandal style power switch with LED color of your choice
I have decided not to include front panel I/O for this batch. The one I tried is simply too large for it to fit comfortably with the main components. PCIe riser will also be a separate purchase if you wish to use a discrete GPU.

I will be able to ship once I can get at least two or three orders. Then I'll be able to place an order for the frames, brackets and power switches.

For the second batch, I would like to offer some more options but pricing for that depends also on how many orders I'm able to get for it.

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I wont be able to do it till next month (9th to be exact) :/ so Ill probably likely catch it in batch 2

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
In my opinion your design for thin itx is not finish :D What about the ideas from vlad502 out of post #254 ?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@2ear : shitty pic but you can see the Meanwell 12V PSU powering the Gigabyte GA-H110TN board through the on-board 4-Pin connector (on the left).

However, most thin-itx boards only support 19V input. In this case, simply use an HDPLEX 19V PSU :

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello