Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Maybe not. It's about 40mm high which gives enough room for it to fit inside. Problem is, you just can't connect a GPU directly to the x16 slot unless you use an offset CPU cooler with thin heatpipes as shown there.

To use it in this particular case, you'd have to offset the GPU instead, with a 5cm riser cable, so that it can be placed in the single low profile slot.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Maybe not. It's about 40mm high which gives enough room for it to fit inside. Problem is, you just can't connect a GPU directly to the x16 slot unless you use an offset CPU cooler with thin heatpipes as shown there.

To use it in this particular case, you'd have to offset the GPU instead, with a 5cm riser cable, so that it can be placed in the single low profile slot.

Ah. And I sorta want the powered riser. Thanks, and I may get back to you on this!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm running the same build, with a G4600T and a dual slot GTX 1050 Ti.

Both CPU and GPU passively cooled.
The whole build is powered by a single 12V AC adapter.

By using a singe-slot GTX 1050 Ti, I figured you could go down to around 3L, that is with an external adapter.

You could certainly lower the volume by using a short GPU such as the GT 1030.

Could I have a link to that x4-x16 riser? It's short enough and appears to be powered.

Thanks

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I want to get this project back on track. A member of this forum is considering making one for themselves, and possibly out of metal, but it's still very early and I don't have all the details yet.

Outside of that I'd consider another run of these cases in plastic with some slight changes/improvements to the design, and be more cost effective. I faced challenges in production and shipping last time around so I'm looking to fix that as well.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Here is a draft of the re-design. The body shell now has an integrated bottom side, reinforcing the standoffs and reducing the need to laser cut additional bottom panels. Side panel attachment tabs are also widened, and require only 2 screws instead of 3.

This new design is possible by choosing to use a different material for 3D printing. The SLS printed material I used from Shapeways made the part too expensive to print and not worth the extra cost, so I will go with FDM printing, using ABS or a vinyl/carbon blend.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Update to the design here. Removed the bottom side, but kept the square bracket supporting the integrated standoffs. This works much better than the diagonal "tabs" from last time. The bottom is again supported by an acrylic sheet, but with pegs pushing through holes in the bottom to tighten the connection.

The rear mounting tab has also been made shorter, while the total height of the case is increased by 3mm for a total height of 67mm in order to support the newer AMD Wraith Stealth coolers (after removing the logo fan shroud).

Top and bottom panels would be cut separately from the front, back and sides, so that anyone can customize the top and bottom differently from the main colors. I want to support clear acrylic tops in addition to solid colors.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm bumping this up back after a couple of months because I think it would be nice to revisit the project, but it will be geared for mini ITX builds only, no thin mini ITX + additional card since that was way too niche.

It might not have been among the cheapest and now there are more options like GEEEK's A1 case, but I still liked how my design turned out. I'd like to use existing parts and leftover panels from unfinished cases for a cheap Hackintosh build. Compared to the last two posts, I am cutting back on 3D printed material to save time and costs.

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I'd be interested for a Hackintosh build as well however would want to fit in an RX560-RX580 GPU since they are supported OOB.

I'm currently using a Deskmini 110 and looking at the Deskmini 310 but those tiny boxes are tricky to get 100% stable.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
They don't make 580 cards short enough for a mini ITX sized case unfortunately, so you're limited to the 560s (or Sapphire 570 ITX).
To make the case large enough to fit such a dedicated GPU the case would need to be enlarged to about twice its size, then it would take on a sandwich layout like several other 3-4 liter cases out there.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
Lovely design! Agree with you on your decision to not design a solely thin-itx case. The industry doesn't have basic standards set really. Component layout like CPU socket orientation, memory placement, and many others tend to differ a lot between brands/models.
I was going to suggest that you made an option for GPU orientation to have the I/O facing TOP, to eliminate dead space and aid cooling for a DC-DC unit. But then I saw that you already had thought of that :thumb:Really like the clean design and that it looks to be quite modular.

How does the material react/handle drilling holes, cutting shapes or adding threaded holes? Have no experience working with plastics, except some dodgy solder iron injection molding for standoffs.