Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
OH right. I forget we are talking about the thin itx.

Yeah, I consider this to be the most major constraint for this setup. I'm aiming for a sub 3-liter case and if someone is fine with that for an ultra portable build, they still have a good selection of graphics cards to choose from in the low-mid tier.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
For me, it's more to do with needing an extra power source to juice up the card. I'd want to keep the case as user friendly to build in as possible :)

DC power connectors are usually rated for 10A on these boards.
With a 19V brick and let's say a Dynamo 360 (or a jumped HDplex as we used to do), it's at least a bit less than 190W of power in the same volume.
Theoretically enough for a 1060 and a 35W CPU :)

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
An excellent looking card. I wish they came out with the reference style RX 560. That is a very clean design.

Yeah, and I also like it because its horizontal fin layout works well for the placement of front fans. It's affordable and I can stick with team AMD while at it.

DC power connectors are usually rated for 10A on these boards.
With a 19V brick and let's say a Dynamo 360 (or a jumped HDplex as we used to do), it's at least a bit less than 190W of power in the same volume.
Theoretically enough for a 1060 and a 35W CPU :)

You jumped the usual position for the green pin, I'm guessing? Also I have my own HDPlex still lying around, the old 160W that is not a direct plug in type. Still I may not need it anytime soon since I can't afford a GTX 1060 at the moment.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yes I used a mosfet switch from @QinX to jumper the Hdplex upon boot.
The Dynamo 360 has this function built-in :)

Gonna keep that mind if I put in a more powerful card in my system. Maybe a reference RX 570 or even the Vega 56 Nano? That would be really sweet I think.

----

Got more parts as the first shipment of cases is going slower than planned, but these are just the first batch still, so lots of room for improvement and planning. I have assembled most of the next two cases for the first batch. All I need are the new replacement panels for front and bottom, and power buttons.

The next batch will follow the design update to support full-height cards. I expect the dimensions of the case to stay almost the same.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@Windfall I still have case parts for this batch that are compatible with LP cards. Either way if I choose to support full height cards it could make it as an additional option. It's not like I'm selling a lot of these cases so they are partially made-to-order.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
And options to order the case with wood panals ?

I haven't considered wood as an option for case pre-orders, but it's not impossible either. It will probably cost extra, though, and price depends on the type of wood.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I created an album for a mock build using a regular mini-ITX board. I now have the SSD mounts finally available and you can use them with short coolers under 31mm.

Would be awesome to have a similar case to use without PCIe extender (v.g.: GPU mounted directly onto the mobo slot).

The necessary added height would be enough to allow one to go completely brickless.

M.2 SSD + 1050ti + Cryorig C7 = great all round traveling-gaming case!

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Would be awesome to have a similar case to use without PCIe extender (v.g.: GPU mounted directly onto the mobo slot).

The necessary added height would be enough to allow one to go completely brickless.

M.2 SSD + 1050ti + Cryorig C7 = great all round traveling-gaming case!

Haha don't do this, I've started another case project that a couple people are interested in seeing and now with trying this gonna have my hands full XD

I'm not saying I won't do build the case but I don't have the resources to do it readily at the moment. However it does fill a niche well for people that liked the Lone cases. A C7 cooler (or perhaps a C1) would look smexy with this style of case and materials.

Reactions: cleveland

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
This Asus Prime H310T, which has only M.2, i think found suitable riser cable to PCI-E for it: R43SF and R43SL (10cm is enough)
R43SR will be good when card facing motherboard (this idea), but then need 15cm long cable

Last edited:

pageo

What's an ITX?
Aug 2, 2018
Interesting project, I'm looking for a small case for my upcoming mITX or thin mITX build and this caught my interest. Ideally, I'd want to have my computer VESA mounted to the back of my monitor. Would it be possible for you to make VESA mount holes and how much would shipping to Sweden be from your location?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Interesting project, I'm looking for a small case for my upcoming mITX or thin mITX build and this caught my interest. Ideally, I'd want to have my computer VESA mounted to the back of my monitor. Would it be possible for you to make VESA mount holes and how much would shipping to Sweden be from your location?

I haven't used anything that had to be VESA mounted before, but I could probably make mounting holes or an adapter for the case.

And based on the weight and package size, I found the cheapest shipping option for Sweden to be 875 SEK, or $96.50 USD.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This project hasn't seen any updates for a while, and there's not much demand for it. However, based on what I have learned designing my 4 liter case, I would like to revisit this case and apply what I learned for a new design. Leave only Thin Mini ITX with low profile support, but a bit more user friendly to build with. Basically, it will be a slimmer 2.5 liter sandwich case.