Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
A quick update on testing out the hardware I plan to use. I installed my OS hard drive onto the Gigabyte Thin ITX board with G4400 CPU and Coolsolte blower fan.

It runs well, but until I installed mobo drivers and other software it was running loud, constantly at 3k RPM. I used EasyTune to control the fan curve, and now runs pretty quiet under idle and typical application loads, about as quiet as the Scythe Kozuti fan.

Then I went and took it next level- installed the Radeon WX 4100. Keep in mind that I don't have a powered riser yet.

To my surprise the mobo took it pretty well, did some benchmarks and gaming and the system hasn't hiccuped so far. This is interesting for a 4x slot that is rated at 25W power draw.

The WX 4100 consumes a maximum of 50 watts, but I haven't seen it peaked yet. And the system's total power maxes out at 70W. I think this is pretty sweet, I could downsize my power brick and be fine with 90 or 100 watts if I wanted to!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello and owliwar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Getting very close to the final design now. I've added rear standoffs integrated into the back frame, and vents, on both sides and a front intake for the GPU. You shouldn't expect to put high-TDP cards in this case but it's always good to have as much cool air coming in as possible.

daxiongmao87

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2017
Wow this is exactly the style of case I'm looking for: A horizontal case perfect for a single slot (low profile?) gpu. Love it. Can't wait to see this finished!

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks for the support! I have paused this project for a while, and was at a crossroads if I wanted to follow through with such an idea if it will be widely supported or not. I have been quietly back at working on it, and close to purchasing parts for the prototype.

The upcoming Ryzen APU line is great for simple gaming PCs and I think this case would work well for those builds. It will definitely give more options to building in it.

Reactions: owliwar and Jello

daxiongmao87

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2017
Im sure you mentioned it somewhere, but it's hard to tell from the photos if the GPU is planned to be laid out horizontally or vertically. Either way, I think this configuration is in low supply and I welcome any additions to it. I need a small desktop PC that houses exactly 1 single slot low profile GPU, a mitx Mobo/CPU, and HDD(s). The smaller the better. If you keep your case at 2L I think it'll be one of a kind.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The GPU will be laid out horizontally, using a riser somewhere between 5cm and 10cm in length. It would be easier for low-profile (half-height) GPUs than full height ones like this one, but the biggest drawback to adding a full-height card is that you are limited only to NGFF m.2 or Mini PCIe SSDs in that configuration.

With a low profile single slot card, there is room for two 2.5" drives above the blower cooler of the CPU:

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
what is the max cpu cooler height in that config?
looking at the size of the case, making it to a single ssd might be more than enougth and would help the cpu temps a lot

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
what is the max cpu cooler height in that config?
looking at the size of the case, making it to a single ssd might be more than enougth and would help the cpu temps a lot

The max CPU cooler height is 38mm, that's all the way to the top side of the case. With a single 2.5" SSD that is reduced to 28mm which can still fit a Zalman CNPS2X, one of the better coolers for that size.

Note that with a 28mm fan configuration, you won't be able to fit a discrete GPU anymore (unless I could make improvements to the case which I have to test with actual parts first). The discrete GPU fits only with a super low profile 23mm cooler, like the Silverstone NT07-115X.

Eventually I plan to buy a AMD motherboard with a Ryzen 5 APU and test that configuration out as well. An APU build could theoretically accommodate the 28mm Zalman cooler AND two 2.5" SSDs side by side in a top bracket :D

Last edited:

daxiongmao87

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for some reasonably quiet blower coolers? I know by design they are just louder, but my experience is only with dynatron, and that was VERY loud lol.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Anyone have any recommendations for some reasonably quiet blower coolers? I know by design they are just louder, but my experience is only with dynatron, and that was VERY loud lol.

I used this particular fan model. I just heard about this company from an eBay listing that has them on sale here. At the default speed of 3000 RPM it is as loud as you'd expect, but once software fan control kicks in it's very quiet at idle performance.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Two days ago my Gigabyte AB350n motherboard arrived. It will be used for testing the case and also will be the first time I'm using an AMD processor in many years. I may have to get an older cheap AM4 processor to update the bios for Raven Ridge compatibility. What's stalling me t right now is just a check deposit so I can get the case produced and buy the rest of the parts.

Also in the plans is a slightly longer version of the case to contain an internal power supply and more flexibility for CPU coolers.

daxiongmao87

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2017
Excited to see the next few updates. Ever have any future plans for other cases that can accommodate larger single slot GPUs like the gtx 1070 katana?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Excited to see the next few updates. Ever have any future plans for other cases that can accommodate larger single slot GPUs like the gtx 1070 katana?

No, not at the moment. The GTX 1070 Katana is long compared to the single slot 1050 and 1050 Ti. It will make the case much larger and more expensive to produce with this material, and also just still making it more budget friendly to produce as it is. The max length for video cards is probably 20cm.

For now, priority is taken to increase CPU cooler compatibility, in particular with the socket AM4 motherboards. The socket mount and placement on these boards will lead to a slight re-design in the case, adding more vertical room for CPU coolers as well as easier cable management in such a small space. I want to support a max cooler height of 38mm inside the case without sacrificing space for hard drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: daxiongmao87

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
After making final adjustments to the design, I ordered the 3D printed parts from Shapeways. Still to do is ordering the acrylic panels. The case parts should be ready for assembly next week. I'm also buying parts for a Ryzen APU build so I can try out different configurations.

The first post has also been updated for more accurate specs of the case.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
As I'm waiting for the 3D printed parts to be made, I'm looking around for a shop that can do affordable laser cut acrylic cutting. I've settled on two but I'm actually finding it harder to optimize for cost with a one-off prototype, compared to the 3D printed parts.

Speaking of which, I've updated the case design with flat diagonal corners. And then have re-done some part geometry and was able to bring down the cost of printing these parts some more. I think I'll settle on this flat corner design, for the production version.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
If you are located in the EU I can highly recommend thelaserhive for affordable laser cutting of acrylic. The people who work there are great and super helpful with anything you might need.

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If you are located in the EU I can highly recommend thelaserhive for affordable laser cutting of acrylic. The people who work there are great and super helpful with anything you might need.

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a good choice too. I have heard of them before (for Macintosh mods), but I've overlooked their custom laser cutting services. I live in the US but they do international shipping for custom work too. I'll try to get a quote for a sample design of parts. They might be more flexible in terms of sheet sizes and materials, which could greatly help in saving costs for making multiple cases.

----

Minor updates: The 3D parts for Prototype 1 have to wait a bit longer. I expected them yesterday, but they seem to be stuck in shipment >_<

I'm already iterating on the design for Prototype 2, which will be slightly wider and taller than Prototype 1. This will add several improvements: increased cooler compatibility, support for 40mm side case fans, and compatibility for the HD-PLEX 160w DC plug-in unit, which is on the large side as far as plug-in DC power supplies go. Also, a possibility for a tool-less design for opening the case. That is still in the brainstorming phase.

Last edited: