Completed Project Thin-X case: Super small, super flexible

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
fwiw 1u is 40mm not 45mm height externally (i just measured a couple to be sure) and very slightly less internally. Not a huge deal but i guess it could affect component choice, etc.

off topic: newegg embeds dont work, you will see them since you have it cached but its a broken image for everyone else iirc.

EDIT: SUperMicro spec lists 44.45mm height and claim its 1u on the same page. its one or the other but not both so make of that what you will

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Isn't a 1 rack unit 44.45mm though? It's usually referenced by inches which is 1.75 in.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
1U PSUs are 40.5mm tall, 1U rack cases looks like ~44.45mm.

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
I'd be very excited to see a new case project, or a cool case mod! If interested, there's a ASL 1050Ti on Taobao from a reputable (at least seemingly) seller. You gotta pay out the nose for it, but it still is always an option.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, I'm designing a case too just as part of the original plan if I don't go with the SuperMicro case. $177 + shipping doesn't sound so bad for a card combining that size and potency. Props on the vendor for measuring its length too. Guess the case will have to be elongated if I'll use that card...

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I stand corrected, I found something more accurate than a steel rule to measure w/ & climbed up on a chair to measure the pair I have sitting up high properly. They are indeed 44.45mm tall, my bad.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Small 4th of July update: I will go with the custom case route, so I can build a slightly longer case that will fit a MeanWell power supply inside. At 23 x 19 x 4.5 cm it's still gonna be a tiny beast.

Reactions: sergiiua

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I ordered the first piece of the puzzle - Gigabyte GA-H110-TN.

The low-profile GT 1030 will probably be next. I want to make sure that running a 30W GPU is still passable without a powered riser, because it's basically past the 25W rated maximum.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Now I finally have the board in my hands and can start making more accurate measurements to the parts layout

The 4-pin power plug may be problematic due to the combined height with a connector. I can't lay the graphics card as close as I can to the board if I had to use it, unless I place the graphics card slightly lower. That's the only issue. The RAM slots and fan connectors are short enough not to get in the way.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I want to make sure that running a 30W GPU is still passable without a powered riser, because it's basically past the 25W rated maximum.

I am running a Zotac GT1030 on an Asus Q87T without powered riser and have absolutely no issue. Been stable for months, even during gaming (Path of exile @ 1440P).

EDIT: My CPU is an i7-4785T (35W) with iGPU disabled (saves a few watts).

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@GuilleAcoustic

Nice ! I love this motherboard. You could get them on Amazon.fr for 59€ few months ago. Snatched two fo them :)
Did you have to lower the GPU power target to achieve stability ?
Are you using this riser ?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That case is so big for such a tiny build XD

Project is on the backburner for now but it's good to look up alternative options for part layouts. I might just get the small 4x riser and place the GPU side by side.

Reactions: owliwar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Bringing back this project as it has potential to make something worthwhile again. Mostly thanks to @aquelito's 4x powered riser, to allow upgrades to more powerful cards.

The case might also change, style-wise. Instead of an all metal chassis I might consider a mix with 3D printed parts such as top/bottom panels or corners. I like the understated look of the Zbox Magnus (the smaller ones) and that's a style I would consider.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
You are looking at the wrong Supermicro chassis, you want to mod http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/chassis/Mini-ITX/101/SCE300

cutting some (lots of...) vents into the top and a great cooler would allow for removing the 40mm fan. The video card is the Aetina from the other thread.

Once I am slightly less swamped (3-5 days) I will email Supermicro and ask whether they would mod the chassis themselves if I were to order a few hundred.

If they do then Kickstarter the chassis and the 1050 Ti. People can take an ordinary ITX board, 65W CPU, PicoPSU and use the Kickstartered base to build an 1050 based machine which is as small in volume as the Gigabyte Brix but uses full desktop parts.

Shield needs some thought but there are customizable 1U shields and they might or might not fit this case as well.

Last edited: