Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm digging more and more in this project, i just love the looks and compacity

Edit : inno3d have gtx 1050 and 1050 ti single slot

Thanks, I hope others enjoy building in this case too! The Inno3D cards are interesting but unfortunately they are too long to fit in this case. The absolute max length supported is 190mm.

Now, time for another major update!

Day two of running my PC in this case. I now installed the GTX 1050! First here are some pics of the case with the top lid closed. And my 70% mech keyboard for a size comparison.

Some more shots of the case:

The last two pictures above were from yesterday, and I took the one right above today. This is when I started to install the ASL GTX 1050. Also, I'm reconsidering keeping the vandal-style switch. I found it's possible to buy some cables with spade connectors to make wiring a lot easier.

Here is a top view with the GPU in place. This one was tough to install! Any longer and it probably won't fit. I had to unscrew the I/O bracket, then temporarily remove the rear cover to push the card into the bracket.

A big downside to this GPU is that the fan is always spinning at full-tilt and none of the GPU overclocking/cooling programs I tried had any effect on controlling the fan speed. So I installed a fan speed reducer/noise reducer cable with resistor. The top cover had to be removed to fit it all inside.

After that I was able to secure the card into place with the retention tabs.

The rear I/O cutout needs to be a bit longer for a future revision. It cannot fit one of the screws for the DVI port so I had to leave it out. But both ports are still usable.

The following picture shows there's enough breathing room for the CPU cooler below the SSD. There's at least 10mm of space there.

Here's a view of the GPU through the top vents. It should be able to cover some CPU coolers for mini ITX as well, though in a few boards where the CPU socket is closer to the PCIe slot, it may not cover it as effectively. I have yet to test thermals for that kind of setup.

After all that, I had to run some benchmarks! I ran Heaven and Superposition first. Lighting is not as good in my bedroom, but hopefully you can see the results.

A score of 4455 on Superposition medium 1080p settings. The temperature peaked at around 76 C. Everything is at stock. Not bad for a 2.6 liter system!

And entire picture album for reference:

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks, I hope others enjoy building in this case too! The Inno3D cards are interesting but unfortunately they are too long to fit in this case. The absolute max length supported is 190mm.

Now, time for another major update!

Day two of running my PC in this case. I now installed the GTX 1050! First here are some pics of the case with the top lid closed. And my 70% mech keyboard for a size comparison.

Some more shots of the case:

The last two pictures above were from yesterday, and I took the one right above today. This is when I started to install the ASL GTX 1050. Also, I'm reconsidering keeping the vandal-style switch. I found it's possible to buy some cables with spade connectors to make wiring a lot easier.

Here is a top view with the GPU in place. This one was tough to install! Any longer and it probably won't fit. I had to unscrew the I/O bracket, then temporarily remove the rear cover to push the card into the bracket.

A big downside to this GPU is that the fan is always spinning at full-tilt and none of the GPU overclocking/cooling programs I tried had any effect on controlling the fan speed. So I installed a fan speed reducer/noise reducer cable with resistor. The top cover had to be removed to fit it all inside.

After that I was able to secure the card into place with the retention tabs.

The rear I/O cutout needs to be a bit longer for a future revision. It cannot fit one of the screws for the DVI port so I had to leave it out. But both ports are still usable.

The following picture shows there's enough breathing room for the CPU cooler below the SSD. There's at least 10cm of space there.

Here's a view of the GPU through the top vents. It should be able to cover some CPU coolers for mini ITX as well, though in a few boards where the CPU socket is closer to the PCIe slot, it may not cover it as effectively. I have yet to test thermals for that kind of setup.

After all that, I had to run some benchmarks! I ran Heaven and Superposition first. Lighting is not as good in my bedroom, but hopefully you can see the results.

A score of 4455 on Superposition medium 1080p settings. The temperature peaked at around 76 C. Everything is at stock. Not bad for a 2.6 liter system!

And entire picture album for reference:

Looking BETTER AND BETTER. Those open parts on the sides won't be there for production, will they?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looking BETTER AND BETTER. Those open parts on the sides won't be there for production, will they?

They're part of the current design, but I could join the top sides for the first batch of cases. The only reason the frame is split up like that is to save a bit on material costs for the printing. But I might be able to do it still.

Also, a 4x to 4x PCIe riser might work just as well as a 4x to 16x, but I worry a bit about GPU sag since part of the riser is supported by the CPU cooler (it's only plastic touching so it's safe). However this does open up CPU cooler choices some more.

If you choose to only have one 2.5" hard drive along with a discrete GPU, you can have certain coolers up to 35mm in height, as long as the fan and heatsink size doesn't exceed 80mm (that is, they stay within the mounting hole area). Then, in theory, a cooler like the Zalman CNPS2X or Scythe Kodati could work.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
They're part of the current design, but I could join the top sides for the first batch of cases. The only reason the frame is split up like that is to save a bit on material costs for the printing. But I might be able to do it still.

Also, a 4x to 4x PCIe riser might work just as well as a 4x to 16x, but I worry a bit about GPU sag since part of the riser is supported by the CPU cooler (it's only plastic touching so it's safe). However this does open up CPU cooler choices some more.

If you choose to only have one 2.5" hard drive along with a discrete GPU, you can have certain coolers up to 35mm in height, as long as the fan and heatsink size doesn't exceed 80mm (that is, they stay within the mounting hole area). Then, in theory, a cooler like the Zalman CNPS2X or Scythe Kodati could work.

I will most certainly want those holes closed off, even if it costs extra. I'll be using a x4 to x16 anyways- I dont like bare contacts in SFF builds. I will be using one drive, so this is REALLY nice to know. Maybe I could even go passive!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If you use a x4 to x16 riser then the max height for coolers is 21mm and you'll definitely want to stick to the one I'm using. I also found it on amazon here, btw. I could update the design to close those gaps on the top sides.

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
How loud is the case with all this small fans and with which rpm runs the fans in normal and maximum ?

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Interesting, no shroud on the gpu, does'nt that "break" the airflow within the gpu cooler ?

I hope we are getting coffee lake thin mini itx =p

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If you use a x4 to x16 riser then the max height for coolers is 21mm and you'll definitely want to stick to the one I'm using. I also found it on amazon here, btw. I could update the design to close those gaps on the top sides.

Yeah, its on amazon too. Please do close those gaps....

D

DelUser6216

That's an interesting cooling solution, and I want to know what CPU you (guys? lol) are using. I have not read the entire thread, and I don't know much about Micro-STX, but it tickles my fancy and I want to know if you pondered that direction. Formal talk done, yo, how's the weather there?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's an interesting cooling solution, and I want to know what CPU you (guys? lol) are using. I have not read the entire thread, and I don't know much about Micro-STX, but it tickles my fancy and I want to know if you pondered that direction. Formal talk done, yo, how's the weather there?

I will be using a i5 6400T, 35w. THIS cooler can handle it. I would like STX too, however, It's smaller (HMMM INSPIRATION) and you have to connect a m.2 to x4 powered riser and THEN x4 to x16. more complex.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Reactions: NinoPecorino

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Oh yeah I forgot the ID Cooling one. Akasa has one of a similar size as well. Blower coolers are recommended for a setup with a dedicated GPU but I am curious to see what temperatures will be like with other types of coolers.

And I don't know yet if I'll get SFF Lab or some other company to distribute it. Although it can improve exposure. First, I don't know how big of a demand there is for a boutique case that mainly does APU builds and the very specific thin mini ITX setup I have. Second, I still need to come up with proper names for the model and brand XD

I'll also probably do some quick demonstrations with a Ryzen APU setup since that's part of the case's capability of course. Each case will be sold with both interchangeable panels for mini ITX and thin mini ITX. It's up to the buyer to choose what they want installed by default :)

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@Windfall I have re-designed the frame to close the gaps in the top side edges. This now makes the frame one continuous piece instead of separate front and back. The bottom edges are still open, to keep some added ventilation. These openings are still barely visible from most sides.

Other small design tweaks include making the bottom rear edge more sturdy as well. I originally had removed material there, but that made it too flimsy and bows outward. The production units shouldn't have this issue.

Also, front panel I/O has been reduced to one USB port for now. I may add a second one, but either way it'll be USB 2.0. Because for USB 3.0, even flat ribbon cables were too bulky for a case of this size.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall I have re-designed the frame to close the gaps in the top side edges. This now makes the frame one continuous piece instead of separate front and back. The bottom edges are still open, to keep some added ventilation. These openings are still barely visible from most sides.

Other small design tweaks include making the bottom rear edge more sturdy as well. I originally had removed material there, but that made it too flimsy and bows outward. The production units shouldn't have this issue.

Also, front panel I/O has been reduced to one USB port for now. I may add a second one, but either way it'll be USB 2.0. Because for USB 3.0, even flat ribbon cables were too bulky for a case of this size.

Yes... PERFECT! What program are you using?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yes... PERFECT! What program are you using?

I'm using Sketchup for all the designs and renders.

Could be an option for some, but I'm not planning on upgrading my board now. I also want to focus on the next-gen Ryzen chipsets, since I figure a lot more people would use a Ryzen APU in a tiny case over discrete GPU.

Will get some more pictures taken to demonstrate different builds including the ones I mentioned before.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Here's a (rather blurry) pic just showing comparison between the ASL GTX 1050 and Radeon Pro WX 4100 in length. The WX 4100 is shorter by 20mm, and will be easier to install in this case.

And that I did. I installed the WX 4100 with drivers, and @Windfall you'll be happy to know that the system runs much quieter in this case with this GPU than the ASL 1050. Even with benchmarks running, it sounds like it's hardly breaking a sweat, and uses less power too.

This almost makes me want to save up for another workstation card as they would be amazing for this case. Maybe even the WX 5100 which Josh reviewed and he says are about as powerful as the 1050 Ti. I could make a custom back panel to fit full height graphics cards with it.