Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
probably no wonder Nvidia refused to pay ._. (and then possibly Apple refused to let Nvidia be in their x86-based computers because of that)

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
is it possible to fit a second slim radiator+slim fans instead of the second gpu?

ps aren t flex atx and 1u psu super noisy?

Joshyboy

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 18, 2017
Hey, just wanted to know if the white version was still going to happen. If so, will it be here at launch or are we going to have to wait for it some time after launch? Just want to make sure your case doesn't sell out and I don't end up getting one because, I'm waiting for a white version. And keep up the awesome work, I like what I'm seeing.

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
Hey, just wanted to know if the white version was still going to happen. If so, will it be here at launch or are we going to have to wait for it some time after launch? Just want to make sure your case doesn't sell out and I don't end up getting one because, I'm waiting for a white version. And keep up the awesome work, I like what I'm seeing.
Additional question, I want the white version also. Do you intend on ever revising the case after the initial release?

I wont be building until Ryzens 7nm releases so I also want to grab this case but also don't want it sold out of existence. However, by that time (about a year), I dont know if you will have any intentions on revising this case within that time frame or if this release IS the final revision.

I dont know if you're going to be doing a build on order (which is more expensive) or if you're doing a bulk order and then you'll sell until its sold out. But you've also stated interest in Kickstarter so we'll know soon.

Hazy

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2018

@Joshyboy Where did you hear about a white version?

Reactions: VegetableStu

Damon_115

What's an ITX?
New User
May 7, 2018
so if mini ITX motherboards don't officially support SLI how would you be able to run to video cards for gaming

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@Ray2r - PCIe bifurcation riser will be an accessory. Not included in the base model, not sure if it will be sold directly or if you'll need to source your own.

@ShieldSean - my objective with the case is to keep the price as affordable as possible without impacting quality or design too much.

@Ditlan @BennyBurner @HeroXLazer @EdZ - You're exactly right guys, working with suppliers for the tiny tid bits (like usb ports) is proving to be more time consuming and frustrating than I ever thought possible. And this is where we are at today ... designing our own PCB for the front I/O, because a number of suppliers fell through and orders / money were lost.

@xSanchez78 - is right, the enermax won't fit because its too tall.

@Hazy - 1) You could fit a card about 4.8 cm wide. 2) Yes, you would be able to fit tubing there. 3) At this point 53 mm is still the limit, may increase in the retail version of the case due to a new feature we're implementing. As for the new feature ... you won't have to wait long to find out ... im terrible when it comes to keeping Project Orthrus secrets :p

@xSanchez78 - the SLI cables are not HB. While they might impact frame times ever so slightly, there's no way for me to check that right now as i don't have an FCAT system. An nVidia SLI system will beat a crossfire system even if you use non-HB bridges. The difference between non-HB and HB seems to be minimal on 1080x cards ... lets see how 1180 cards are impacted.
I'm not sure what mods are required to enable Crossfire, someone would have to send me some AMD GPU's to test, but more than likely it will be some sort of certificate.

@greyhound - yes, you could do that, would require some mods though. But there's 48 mm of space in the GPU section of the case if you can work with that.

@Joshyboy @Ray2r - I will be making samples of the white case, lets see how we go.

GENERAL UPDATE:
The only reason for delay right now is that I ordered front panel USB ports and they were lost in the mail.
Contacting the supplier was painful and eventually the money for the sample was lost and so was the sample.
Now the manufacturer is working on a custom PCB to make the front I/O exactly to our specifications.
There will be a small lead time for it. As soon as things are set in stone I'll post another update.

On a side note, here's a list of the supported AIO's so far:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
@Ray2r - PCIe bifurcation riser will be an accessory. Not included in the base model, not sure if it will be sold directly or if you'll need to source your own.

@ShieldSean - my objective with the case is to keep the price as affordable as possible without impacting quality or design too much.

@Ditlan @BennyBurner @HeroXLazer @EdZ - You're exactly right guys, working with suppliers for the tiny tid bits (like usb ports) is proving to be more time consuming and frustrating than I ever thought possible. And this is where we are at today ... designing our own PCB for the front I/O, because a number of suppliers fell through and orders / money were lost.

@xSanchez78 - is right, the enermax won't fit because its too tall.

@Hazy - 1) You could fit a card about 4.8 cm wide. 2) Yes, you would be able to fit tubing there. 3) At this point 53 mm is still the limit, may increase in the retail version of the case due to a new feature we're implementing. As for the new feature ... you won't have to wait long to find out ... im terrible when it comes to keeping Project Orthrus secrets :p

@xSanchez78 - the SLI cables are not HB. While they might impact frame times ever so slightly, there's no way for me to check that right now as i don't have an FCAT system. An nVidia SLI system will beat a crossfire system even if you use non-HB bridges. The difference between non-HB and HB seems to be minimal on 1080x cards ... lets see how 1180 cards are impacted.
I'm not sure what mods are required to enable Crossfire, someone would have to send me some AMD GPU's to test, but more than likely it will be some sort of certificate.

@greyhound - yes, you could do that, would require some mods though. But there's 48 mm of space in the GPU section of the case if you can work with that.

@Joshyboy @Ray2r - I will be making samples of the white case, lets see how we go.

GENERAL UPDATE:
The only reason for delay right now is that I ordered front panel USB ports and they were lost in the mail.
Contacting the supplier was painful and eventually the money for the sample was lost and so was the sample.
Now the manufacturer is working on a custom PCB to make the front I/O exactly to our specifications.
There will be a small lead time for it. As soon as things are set in stone I'll post another update.

On a side note, here's a list of the supported AIO's so far:
Thanks for answering all of our questions.

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Hey @LukeD any update on the project, no matter how small? You still waiting on the front panel?

Also what is this 'new feature' you speak of? :D

Reactions: 957