Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

ShieldSean

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017
Sorry I misunderstood I thought he said it was coming on April 1 St But he said that he was going to make an announcement on early April.
Fair enough, if you've funded anything on Kickstarter for instance, you'll know they ALWAYS run late, manufacturing is actually a surprisingly difficult thing.

plankton997

What's an ITX?
Mar 20, 2018
I've been lurking here for a while looking at those custom SLI cables. I remember seeing a post about those being made available for sale. Does anyone have specs on those? My layout is similar to this sff case but the graphics cards are 7 inches apart (top of the pcb to top of the pcb)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I've been lurking here for a while looking at those custom SLI cables. I remember seeing a post about those being made available for sale. Does anyone have specs on those? My layout is similar to this sff case but the graphics cards are 7 inches apart (top of the pcb to top of the pcb)

There's a tutorial for making them, very labor intensive so I don't think anyone has them for sale right now.

Ellimist

Trash Compacter
Feb 11, 2018
I don't know if LiHeat will be selling the SLI cables separately. They made them to my specifications for this project. My intent is to sell it to customers purchasing this case.

Are the cables they made for you HB cables since I notice you use 1080ti's? While I don't use or need HB cables at this time I'm thinking of upgrading later this year early next year at which point HB SLI cables may be a requirements.

Ditlan

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2017
Came here for a totally genuine announcement (posted on the 1st) that we would be able to purchase by the end of the week.

It was not to be, it seems.

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
Hey @LukeD, I've noticed this project a few months after it was posted. Then I forgot all about it in 2017 and now I'm back on it.

I've only read the last 10 pages worth of replies. Before I get excited about the case again I'd like to get some answers.

1. I dont plan to use this case in SLI and while you do have the configuration and your tastings based of a ~95w CPU + 2x250W GPUs. Can you state the exact pump type/speed, fans and radiator you used in your configuration so I can plan ahead for a configuration that is => the configuration that you used.

2. Since I plan to use only 1 GPU. How plausible is it to have a fan mounted on the acrylic panel. Since the panel includes ventilation holes it would give addition airflow.

3. This is more hindsight than anything. From the video, I can see some space (though not exact) in between the end of the 1U PSU and the cables at the top of the case. However, if I went from a 1U PSU that is 9.2 inch in length to an SFX that is 4.92 inches in length. Which gives an addition 4.28 (108.7mm) inches. Does the extra space stated give at least the 12mm needed to allow a 120mm fan to be placed at the top? Since this case is flat at the top it would require modding to allow for ventilation for the 120mm fan placement and the SFX PSU placement. Since the PSU would have to be upside down for the 120mm fan to not block the cable inserts.

4. The Founders Edition 1080Ti is 40mm thick and the ASUS 1080Ti Poseidon is 50mm thick. Additionally it is 298mm, 3mm off of the stated 295mm. Will it be possible to squeeze the card in that additional 3mm or is the 295mm the exact maximum? Will it fit the 50mm card thickness?

5. Can you tell us what accessories are included? You stated that there will be the SLI Bridges included that you are trying to obtain from Li-Heat since they would not make it for individuals. Additionally the video shows that's it will include a Pump mount, an SSD mount and an SSD+HDD mount. For people that will only use 1 GPU. Will this include a Single and/or double slot PCI bracket to cover up the 2nd PCI slot for people who do not make use of or only use 1 PCIE hardware in addition to the GPU?

5a. Will having 2 single slot PCI-e hardware (wifi card and video capture card) fit inside of the GPUs double PCI slot?

6. Do you expect the final price of this case to be ~200-250$USD?

Last edited:
Reactions: 957

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Even assuming @LukeD has the prototype "finalized" and a manufacturer selected, it may still take months of discussions to work out the technical and contract details of production before going to crowdfunding. Oh, and I'll bet Luke has a day job and friends and family and all that other "real life" stuff.

When Luke has something to announce, I am sure he will do so.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Guys, quick update. This is not THE UPDATE.
I've had delays from suppliers for things like USB ports for the case. This is holding up the very few last changes that will optimize the case for manufacturing. I've also snuck in one more change that I think people will treat as a very welcome feature in the final version of the case :)

Rest assured things are moving forward, just slower than I would have thought.

Last edited:

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@Ray2r

1. I've used the Fractal Design CPU cooler / pump combo in most of the builds. Which is an Alphacool DC-LT pump. That works well and moves the water at a decent pace. I also used the EK XRES DDC pump. I've used 2 types of radiators... the alpha cool 240mm and ek 240mm, both provide very similar temps. I've used various fans. Most were pressure optimised, Fractal, Corsair ML, ... both worked very well.

2. Yes that can be done.

3. Yeah there would be enough space there to fit a 120mm fan. You'd have to mod the case to do that as that won't be a standard feature.

4. The offical length of GPU's supported max is 267 mm (10,5") , a GPU up to 275 mm should fit as there is 276,5 mm space between the back of the case and bottom fan bracket. If you don't use a 240 mm AIO and instead use a 120mm AIO in the bottom slot you can then use a GPU up to 330mm long.

5. Standard accessories are still being worked on so people don't need to buy what they don't need. Aiming to have options for things like water pump mounts

5a. It would fit but there is only 1 PCIe slot.

6. Final price yet to be determined because I don't know what the standard accessories will be yet.

TurboShamu

Case Bender
Jan 10, 2018
I have a stupid idea: what if the case is a little bit thicker and taller for 2 140mm fans instead of two 120mm. it's just 2cm more than the original also 2cm taller but you could put a 280mm radiator and aids the cooling of the system, not just the CPU

Hazy

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2018
So I've been a lurker on this thread since October and I've just been quietly biding my time, drooling over the few pictures that have been posted, planning my final design, waiting for the chance to finally snatch my dream PC case, until I went to look back at some of the updates to satisfy craving for this case, but alas, the pictures were unavailable and I cannot view them. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MY FIX NOW?? I haven't been able to eat or sleep and I am fairly certain my current computer is turning against me since I spend so much time gawking at this case.
Please, LukeD, I am begging you, for my sanity and those who are in similar situations, if you are unable to give us an update on the progress of the case, please post more pictures of Project Orthrus so that I can resume my life and see more unadulterated beauty.

But in all seriousness, I love your work and can't wait till it is available and all your hard work pays off.
And idk if I am just being stupid and forgot to update something, but I seriously cannot open the links to the images that LukeD has posted and it has driven me nuts these past few days. Can anyone offer me a solution or tell me what I am doing wrong?

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@Hazy it appears the website he used to upload all the pictures was taken down. it looked like a crappy website too, it was always filled with ads and stuff so it isn't too surprising. I think I am like you too lol, where I have to look at this case and check the forum constantly because I love this case and can't wait for my future dream build. Lucky for me tho, I saved some pictures on my phone and computer long ago lol. My favorite image is this one that I combined to give one great all around view of the case.