Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

RollinLower

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2018
For those who might want a threadripper build in this case, look what just came out!

First microATX x399 motherboard XD! Cooling shouldn't be an issue - you can AIO cool the CPU and air cool the GPU's and you should be fine if you aren't planning to push the GPU clocks too far, but as of our recent power supply discussion, there may not be enough power for all this hardware combined. Other than that, a threadripper build with this motherboard and case would be really cool!

i was really looking foreward to this, too bad the board alone is going to be upwards of 500 dollars. so yeah, if i ever get one of these badboys i'm afraid it's going to be secondhand only :p

Reactions: Biowarejak

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Alright well I've done some thinking about this case, and the speak of balance actually makes alot of sense. I think when the GTX 20 series cards come out, I'm going to choose a card with a 180 Watt TDP or lower. Hopefully the 2080 Ti will be that power efficient, but I'm sure at least the 2080 and if so I'll go with the 2080 vs the 2080 Ti, because in terms of balance which is essential for small form factor cases, it would be better to go with the card that you can power and cool and still have amazing performance ( because I'm sure the 2080 will out-perform the 1080 Ti and we all know the 1080 Ti is amazing ) then to have a card that overheats and gets insufficient power and only performs slightly better. Then I could even go back to water cooling everything - because if I remember, @LukeD water cooled a 140 watt CPU and two 1080's which are 180 watt GPU's, and got temps like 75C on the CPU and 65C on the GPU's which would be great. So if I chose the same rated components I should get the same temps which would be great, and I'd probably get much better temps for the CPU since I'm going to be delidding. So I can't wait to see what the new GTX series has to offer, because it will be great for this case, seeing as cooling will be much more simplified and a secondary power supply won't be needed. If you think about it, two 180 watt GPU's versus two 250 watt GPU's is a whole 140 watts shaved off of power demand and cooling performance, and that would be great.

Just some food for thought for others planning out there build for this case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Mind you that Newegg is based in the US which means that there is no tax (VAT) applied as well as import duties and such. For Europe, that board will probably be around 350€.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Ok so i did a small test today, just around power usage and this is what I've come up with:

Setup:
8700k @ 5ghz @ 1.35v
Kelvin C24 using 2 fans and pump from motherboard
4 x 8GB Trident Z 3200MHz memory XMP
Samsung 950 Pro
2 x 1080Ti water-cooled. (2 fans running off the motherboard)
EK WB pump running from molex.
All fans and pump @ 100%

I ran Furmark and CPU Burner on 11 cores (left 1 core to deal with GPU stuff) .....
757 Watts from the wall Max ! Usually around 750 watts.
GPU's were boosting at 1550 MHz

Also did a Firestrike bench: 34,442 (that sucked max 620 watts)

Last edited:

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Ok so then power consumption should be fine I guess. Especially when using 2080's versus 1080 Ti's, assuming they are 180 watt TDP when they come out. Alright thanks for confirming then, power shouldn't be an issue. I won't need to do any risky and messy hacks with a secondary external power supply.

All I know is that with less power demanding cards, I should be able to water cool everything as originally planned, which will also promote better airflow and I also won't need to get ventilated side panels. With that said, I can't wait to use the custom RGB water block for the motherboard I'm using. That with the RGB SO-DIMM memory and RGB SSD's above that, the motherboard side will be very aesthetically appealing just like the GPU side, and so I think I'm finally 100% happy with the plan I have for this case :)

Last edited:

Link

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 11, 2018
Hi @LukeD I've signed up specifically to keep up with this project and follow you on twitter as well. Amazing project, I'm really excited about it.

I had a question which I'm not sure has been answered already but was asked by @Samer initially

"Most MicroATX motherboards have 3 slots , Two 16 and one 4 or 8 .. make sure to route 4 or 8 x slot as well ... for people who want just one GPU and TWO CARDS"

will this case have support for 3 slots?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi @LukeD I've signed up specifically to keep up with this project and follow you on twitter as well. Amazing project, I'm really excited about it.

I had a question which I'm not sure has been answered already but was asked by @Samer initially

"Most MicroATX motherboards have 3 slots , Two 16 and one 4 or 8 .. make sure to route 4 or 8 x slot as well ... for people who want just one GPU and TWO CARDS"

will this case have support for 3 slots?
Based on everything we've seen, I've got a feeling that's a solid no. Two dual slots on the gpu side and that's it.

Reactions: Link and HeroXLazer

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
@Link, Biowarejak is right. The case is intended for dual GPU use, you could use custom risers but i don't think mATX motherboards support pcie bifurcation so that would be hard to do (split).
@LukeD Guessing this case uses Li-Heat B-Type cables? I'm assuming (looking at other photos in this thread) there's not enough space at the bottom for people to use 2no D-type (or similar) cables?

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Hdplex 400 is such an amazing product! I can just imagine what they're larger psu's are going to look like in the near future! I really hope they continue to release new products!

I can't wait to see what people do with this case!!!

PS. 19 days left before release of
Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case

Let the countdown begin!!!
;)

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Hdplex 400 is such an amazing product I can just imagine what they're larger what psu's are going to look like in the near future! I really hope they continue to release new products!

I can't wait to see what people do with this case!!!

;)
*Annnouncment...

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Check this out super sff!

Maybe someone could use graphics cards like these to save some space?

For the price with the 1080 inside seems a little dark where the market is going being that graphics cards are so expensive seems like pretty soon graphics cards won't be inside computers computers will be inside graphics cards.

This thing comes with a 270 watt PSU. Crazy!
Anyway I'm trying to find the release date for the PC X RGB Ram but I can't seem to find anything! :-(

Last edited:

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Check this out super sff!

Maybe someone could use graphics cards like these to save some space?
The GPU used there is MXM form factor GPU. What that means is that it is made for MXM slot, which is different that PCIE x slot. The reason it cant be uses is because MXM GPUs have no built in display output, no proper mounting like regular GPUs and no way to connect to regular motherboards. There is a way, but it relies on crazy expensive and unavailable MXM to PCIE x adapters.

ShieldSean

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017

;)

This is the kind of inference that product owners hate. You make it seem like Luke has promised to deliver cases, when what he's said is that he's going to make an announcement. My first reaction to that was, he'll probably announce that he's signed a deal for a production line, or that he's found a mainstream case maker to buy his design and make it eventually. But by hyping it into a "release countdown" now there are going to be a lot of very angry and disappointed people when the "announcement" actually happens.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@LukeD Is it possible I can separately pay you to freshly mod and leak test a set of EK water blocks if the bitspower ones with the separate fittings mentioned above don't fit?

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Sorry I misunderstood I thought he said it was coming on April 1 St But he said that he was going to make an announcement on early April.