Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@Jackrabbit72380 Yes I recently found those too. That's the ram I plan to buy myself when I put together this build. I'm also going to try to get the new RGB SSD's from Hyper X when they come out to mount in the motherboard mounting bracket location. That should look super cool especially in this case too.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
I'm planning on going with the same componens you are but I'm going to be using the case I won from lian li. Pc-q38 and I'm plannng on useing 2 Nvidia GeForce gtx 1080 ti zotac mini arctic edition's I really like the PC-12 that Luke made a video on I'm very interested see this case get finalized I don't really know if everything I plan on getting is going to fit in my case plus this will be my first water cooling build so I'm sort of on an adventure as I have never built ITX computer before I may however go with this case I can't wait to see the final version

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
They are founders edition GTX 1080 Ti with the 1080 Ti EK water blocks that have modded terminals to fit in the case. Just a heads up, the Zotac Mini 1080 Ti's are actually too tall to fit in this case, tall as in the height from the PCIe connector to the top of the card when you orient them vertically like this case has them. It's best to go with founders edition cards if you're doing this case.

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Where do you plan on purchasing your motherboard at? Another article I just read regarding the RGB memory makes me think I'm going to have to pay around $600 the RGB Ram do you have any thoughts on pricing just trying to come up with some ballpark figures? Finally decided on every component that is going into my new rig it's time for me to start making purchases and building

Last edited:

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Well currently I'm just saving up money and waiting until the summer to actually start buying the parts. Right now I know the motherboard is about 500 dollars on amazon which is fine by me because I'm willing to pay alot for the parts I want if I have to, but when the time comes where I'm actually beginning to buy the components, I'm going to do some hard research and surf the internet for the best deals I can find, although I don't think I'm going to find much cheaper. But yeah an ITX x299 motherboard and RGB ram designed specifically for it is definitely going to cost a pretty penny. I'm probably not going to have this build entirely complete until the end of summer but that's fine because I really want/need this build for the games I play and the computer hobbies that I have so it will definitely be worth it for me. The parts I pick and the way I setup stuff like cooling and storage may not be for everyone though.

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
They are founders edition GTX 1080 Ti with the 1080 Ti EK water blocks that have modded terminals to fit in the case. Just a heads up, the Zotac Mini 1080 Ti's are actually too tall to fit in this case, tall as in the height from the PCIe connector to the top of the card when you orient them vertically like this case has them. It's best to go with founders edition cards if you're doing this case.
Thanks for the heads up I'm not using this case I'm using the l i a n l i PQ 38 I'm hoping to have enough room to Mount vertically and upside down

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
So I just ran into a problem my case was never meant for dual SLI set up even though I have all the components picked out and will probably fit okay the PSu you won't the case is only meant to fit two power supplies from Corsair the small form-factor ones and neither one of them are powerful enough I can't seem to find where to purchase the FSP850-50FGGH1 (850W) @sanchez what power supply do you plan on using?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm sorry if you think we are off topic but we are discussing computer components to put in the case so I don't really see how they're off topic.
Ps.
I wonder if we could make this work?
http://www.harddrivesdirect.com/pro...JGHw9BDXxMh_djdDmDZ0tDDH5VkkbRexoCjXsQAvD_BwE
It's mostly off topic because you keep talking about/asking for help with another manufacturer's case. If you need help with that, please start another topic in the General subforum.

Peace.

Reactions: jtd871

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@Ellimist @Biowarejak My bad I was trying to stay on topic of this case and point out features of this case specifically but I do see the discussion got a little too far.

@Jackrabbit72380 This case supports an SFX-L power supply now rather than server power supplies, so I'm simply going to use the highest watt SFX-L power supply on the market, the Silverstone SST‑SX800‑LTI which is an 80 Plus Titanium 800 watt power supply. 800 watts should definitely be enough for this build, and this is also the power supply used in the recent pictures.

Ok hold on... I'm starting to get a little curious now... is 800 watts enough? I did this little power supply calculator thing, and I didn't touch the CPU overclocking options and I had to tune down the GPU overclocking options to get the wattage just barely below 800... so now I'm curious if this isn't enough power? I then thought since I can't at all find a SFX-L PSU with greater capacity than this one, that maybe I should do something sneaky, like mount an HDPLEX 300 watt in there somewhere and power it with a dell 330 watt external PSU and do the little cable modification with the motherboard connector to make the power supplies both turn on at the same time, then power the motherboard and CPU with that and the graphics cards with the 800 watt PSU? Could this work? Otherwise idk if I'll have enough without giving up overclocking...

Maybe this could fit at the top of the case where the triple 2.5 inch drive mounting area is located and then run the wire from the external PSU through the little hole that I think is designated for the HDMI passthrough? If so then there should definitely be enough power, although it may not be the most elegant of solutions but I'm willing to work with it.

[/USER]

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

Jackrabbit72380

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Okay so what if I'm adding two Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 TI's and 6 hard drives along with a higher Watt processor top of the line core I-9 that draws 165 Watts or more? Will we exceed the power then?

3D game man does a pretty good review here. & he says that the 3.3/5v Rail is 120w & the 12v Rail is 700w and that's not 800 watts though so I'm confused he also says that if you're going with top-of-the-line components and dual graphics card setup that you're going to need 1000 Watts or more.

Last edited:

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@EdZ Yeah ok that sounds reasonable so I'll probably be fine then. I just hope I don't ever run into power limitations but I don't think I will in that case.

Last edited: