Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
Will think about it! thanks for the info.

New stuff: this guy says something to update motherboard for ryzen 2 and I'm confused do I have to buy ryzen 1 to flash bios to my asrock ab350m pro4 or only flash the ryzen 2 or do nothing when buying ryzen 1? SO CONFUSING.

You will need to buy an AM4 Apu or CPU that works with your board to then flash upgrade for ryzen 2. I am buying an amd athlon 950 to flash all my ryzen boards.

https://www.frys.com/product/9267209?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Reactions: kamil0099

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Will think about it! thanks for the info.

New stuff: this guy says something to update motherboard for ryzen 2 and I'm confused do I have to buy ryzen 1 to flash bios to my asrock ab350m pro4 or only flash the ryzen 2 or do nothing when buying ryzen 1? SO CONFUSING.
No surprise there. It is always the same story, except on several few high end motherboards able to flash their bios with non recognized cpu

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@LukeD I'm not to sure if this is a good idea but I feel it's worth mentioning - do you think air cooling the CPU would be a good idea?

For example, using a Noctua-NH9Li would be a good idea because it says it's meant for up to 95 watt TDP CPU'S and the i7-8700K is a 95 watt TDP CPU. This would allow for much better cooling for the graphics cards because they would have the 240mm radiator all to themselves, which would also allow for better GPU overclocking. You may not be able to overclock the CPU on this cooler but it should keep it within working temperatures and for such an already over powered processor, that shouldn't really matter. Air cooling the CPU would also promote air flow over some of the motherboard components like the VRM's and ram. Even from an aesthetic stand point, being able to add an RGB fan over the cooler would be pretty awesome too. This is just an idea for thought though but I'm not sure how good of an idea it actually is.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@LukeD I'm not to sure if this is a good idea but I feel it's worth mentioning - do you think air cooling the CPU would be a good idea?

For example, using a Noctua-NH9Li would be a good idea because it says it's meant for up to 95 watt TDP CPU'S and the i7-8700K is a 95 watt TDP CPU. This would allow for much better cooling for the graphics cards because they would have the 240mm radiator all to themselves, which would also allow for better GPU overclocking. You may not be able to overclock the CPU on this cooler but it should keep it within working temperatures and for such an already over powered processor, that shouldn't really matter. Air cooling the CPU would also promote air flow over some of the motherboard components like the VRM's and ram. Even from an aesthetic stand point, being able to add an RGB fan over the cooler would be pretty awesome too. This is just an idea for thought though but I'm not sure how good of an idea it actually is.

If you watch other threads like Sentry, Dan A4-SFX and S4 Mini (cases that regularly use the NH9Li) you would see that it is not capable of properly cooling the 8700k, even delidded it struggles.

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Hmm interesting @rfarmer. Well maybe since I don't plan to overclock the i7-8700K, I should just go with an i7-8700. That only has a 65 watt TDP, and apparently also runs with the Intel stock cooler. Apparently a Noctua-NH9Li would be a bit of an upgrade for that.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hmm interesting @rfarmer. Well maybe since I don't plan to overclock the i7-8700K, I should just go with an i7-8700. That only has a 65 watt TDP, and apparently also runs with the Intel stock cooler. Apparently a Noctua-NH9Li would be a bit of an upgrade for that.
Just go 8700k and undervolt and underclock it if required...:)

8700k is always a better than 8700 as you can play with it depending of your current and future setup..:)

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Im with Marc on this one.
Also remember xSanchez78 ... you can always air cool GPU's ... because the case is designed to run with GPU's air-cooled very well.
Have a look at Linus' video and he says that in his testing the GPU's perform better in my case than in a normal motherboard setup because one of the GPU's isn't starved for cold air.
I still think the easiest and most flexible setup is to air cool gpu's + 240 aio the cpu :)

Reactions: LeandroJVarini

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
When I saw your case last year in you tube, I tried to find some where to buy but couldn't, then I learned to designed.
and I'm going to make 8.8L ATX SLI water cooler case to break your world record :)

Ellimist

Trash Compacter
Feb 11, 2018
Hi Signed up cause this case is exactly what I'm looking for. I saw the lian li while browsing through the thread and while its similar its actually not as good as this LOL.

Can't wait till this is available. Will you be posting in this thread when it is?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
When I saw your case last year in you tube, I tried to find some where to buy but couldn't, then I learned to designed.
and I'm going to make 8.8L ATX SLI water cooler case to break your world record :)

Awesome! Can't wait to see your design RoLexus

Hi Signed up cause this case is exactly what I'm looking for. I saw the lian li while browsing through the thread and while its similar its actually not as good as this LOL.

Can't wait till this is available. Will you be posting in this thread when it is?

Thanks Ellimist. I appreciate that. Yes, i will update when the case is available for sale :)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@LukeD although it is true that your case has a great setup for the air flow of the blower cards, the blower cards simply cannot cool themselves well, regardless of where they are setup. Linus got 82C temperatures on his, and that imo is too hot, especially for not being overclocked. I think air cooling a lower voltage CPU like the i7-8700 would keep it's temperatures under 70C and still provide great performance, and as a result, the GPU's will cool even more due to having the radiator to themselves which means more over clocking capabilities. While this setup may not be practical for everyone, it's most likely the best for my needs so I think it's what I'm going to do. Plus since the tubing doesn't need to reach around to the CPU past the ram and stuff like that, I could probably do some nice hardline tubing and sexy fittings to go with it since the GPU side had mostly some straightforward bends.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@LukeD although it is true that your case has a great setup for the air flow of the blower cards, the blower cards simply cannot cool themselves well, regardless of where they are setup. Linus got 82C temperatures on his, and that imo is too hot, especially for not being overclocked. I think air cooling a lower voltage CPU like the i7-8700 would keep it's temperatures under 70C and still provide great performance, and as a result, the GPU's will cool even more due to having the radiator to themselves which means more over clocking capabilities. While this setup may not be practical for everyone, it's most likely the best for my needs so I think it's what I'm going to do. Plus since the tubing doesn't need to reach around to the CPU past the ram and stuff like that, I could probably do some nice hardline tubing and sexy fittings to go with it since the GPU side had mostly some straightforward bends.
To be truly honest, if you go just for gaming, 8700 (or underclocked/undervolt 8700k) is definitely fine.
After, you need to wonder if sli/xfire is still worth just for gaming nowadays.

For me, it will be great to be able to put customed aircooled gpu (2,5 slots, up to 30cm) like msi gaming x or strix. With matx motherboard, it will be a great option..:)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@MarcParis an open air cooler inside that case wouldn't be a great idea, the hot air from the cards would just get dumped into the case and wouldn't really have anywhere to go - they would probably be hotter than founders edition cards. However if you want to try, the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 would probably fit.

For me personally though, air cooling the GPU's doesn't really seem to have any excellent solution, I'd rather just water cool them ( especially since seeing the water blocks in the vertical position looks so damn amazing ). The reason air cooling the CPU may be a good idea is because now days you can find some pretty efficient CPU's that offer amazing performance like the i7-8700 or an undervolted i7-8700K. Tbh though I'll probably just end up water cooling the whole thing but I'm gonna do a little more research on air cooling the CPU. I also prefer to have the GPU's water cooled so that they can be overclocked, and overclocking the CPU isn't one of my top priorities.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis an open air cooler inside that case wouldn't be a great idea, the hot air from the cards would just get dumped into the case and wouldn't really have anywhere to go - they would probably be hotter than founders edition cards. However if you want to try, the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 would probably fit.

For me personally though, air cooling the GPU's doesn't really seem to have any excellent solution, I'd rather just water cool them ( especially since seeing the water blocks in the vertical position looks so damn amazing ). The reason air cooling the CPU may be a good idea is because now days you can find some pretty efficient CPU's that offer amazing performance like the i7-8700 or an undervolted i7-8700K. Tbh though I'll probably just end up water cooling the whole thing but I'm gonna do a little more research on air cooling the CPU. I also prefer to have the GPU's water cooled so that they can be overclocked, and overclocking the CPU isn't one of my top priorities.
Euh have you ever looked at my setup lol?
I know that you need to exhaust hot air...it is the same for watercooling...you need to exhaust hot air also..:)

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
Yeah I know you need to exhaust hot air, but if you water cool the whole setup, what should happen is that the air will simply suck in the front and pass through and exit out the back through the ventilation above the motherboard or the width of the second slot of the graphics cards since the water blocks only take one slot. ( Yes I know air cooling the CPU might cause some complications with the exhaust of hot air ). Using open air cooled cards though probably just won't turn out well. The hot air will be dumped into the case rather than out the back, and if you still plan to water cool the CPU, the hot air from the radiator will have a harder time exiting the case.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah I know you need to exhaust hot air, but if you water cool the whole setup, what should happen is that the air will simply suck in the front and pass through and exit out the back through the ventilation above the motherboard or the width of the second slot of the graphics cards since the water blocks only take one slot. ( Yes I know air cooling the CPU might cause some complications with the exhaust of hot air ). Using open air cooled cards though probably just won't turn out well. The hot air will be dumped into the case rather than out the back, and if you still plan to water cool the CPU, the hot air from the radiator will have a harder time exiting the case.
Well, based on my former and current experience, you can allow hot air from cpu to go inside case, as exhaust air is not hot...maximum load is somewhere 150-200w on power hungry cpu.
Whereas on gpu watercooling, exhaust air from radiator (i’m speaking of 300w+ like gtx 1080ti oc, rx vega 64. For less power hungry gpu, watercooling is not really worth it...at least for cooling...:)) is largely warmer...and is leading to overheat all internal components...

As Linus mentionned, if you watercool gpu inside orthus, you need to exhaust hot air directly from radiator. You are losing on direct gpu cooling, but you are winning by far on lifespan of global setup

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
@MarcParis interesting thought. Maybe what I could do is get sides where the very front is ventilated for air intake right infront of the radiator and then have the radiator exhaust air out to the front. That might actually perform extremely well. @LukeD would this be at all possible?

junkstory

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2018
Hello - new member but longtime lurker here. When can we expect the Project Othrus Case to be released for sale, or is it intended to be a prototype only?

Ditlan

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2017
Hello - new member but longtime lurker here. When can we expect the Project Othrus Case to be released for sale, or is it intended to be a prototype only?
Read the last couple of pages bud.

No firm release date, but shooting for March/April

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@MarcParis interesting thought. Maybe what I could do is get sides where the very front is ventilated for air intake right infront of the radiator and then have the radiator exhaust air out to the front. That might actually perform extremely well. @LukeD would this be at all possible?

So actually the benefit of having unventilated side panels is that the air will be sucked from the bottom and back of the case to the front, creating a unidirectional air flow and allowing air to pass through all of the components before it gets exerted.
I tested fan direction, you can see some temp differences in the first post.

Last edited: