Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Ricky

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 23, 2016
Generally speaking, not naming any names whatsoever, it only takes a moment to log in to a forum and post an update, any update, whether it be good or bad. If a person cannot even commit to such a trivial task, you have to wonder whether it is even worth your while to keep your optimism about the project. Again, I'm just speaking in general. It applies to every project. You can make the decision whether it applies here or not.

I made a comment the Spring of last year to say that I've unsubscribed from this thread, due to the obvious fact that the project was not going anywhere from a creator who has visibly lost interest. I've been attacked by many, even through private messages. Well, I've come back today to see if I would be fortunate enough to be proven wrong, but alas it seems that my decision was right.

Good luck.
Life gets busy. A PC case can easily lose priority in the grand scheme of things. Patience.

Reactions: nyc718kb

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
I haven't been following the project for a while, but browsing facebook I came across this case that is very similar to orthrus

Does anyone know anything about this alternative case to the project?

Ditlan

Chassis Packer
Feb 28, 2017
I'm really not sure on the 'etiquette' of discussing competing products potentially based off of Luke's original design in this thread...

That said, those images are easy enough to reverse search and find the origin of should you want to.

J0my

Case Bender
New User
Mar 13, 2019
I'm really not sure on the 'etiquette' of discussing competing products potentially based off of Luke's original design in this thread...

That said, those images are easy enough to reverse search and find the origin of should you want to.

It should be fine honestly, comparing a similar product is pretty much the norm, go to any case thread here and you will see endless "this looks like a X case"

Reactions: maxdfw

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
That case is only superficially similar. The internal layout and component support are completely different, and have more in common with the Ghost with tophats or one of the Sliger SM cases.

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
I haven't been following the project for a while, but browsing facebook I came across this case that is very similar to orthrus

Does anyone know anything about this alternative case to the project?

Personally preference, but I hate upside down GPU's.

BuzzFuzz

Case Bender
Nov 21, 2019
Damn, what happened with this project at the end? My wish is to build something like this.
I can handle to customize my case, not big deal, i think :)

Can anyone explain to me where to get, if possible this long NVlink Cable?
And if I create cable on my own, do I lost some data, latency...because longer link cable?

Ellimist

Trash Compacter
Feb 11, 2018
NVlink cables this long don't exist. you would have to make your own. The SLI cables are easy they are on ebay in the liheat store.

As for the case itself @LukeD hasn't provided an update for quite some time so we don't actually know.

BuzzFuzz

Case Bender
Nov 21, 2019
Ok, thanks. I know for SLI cables... Looks like I need to create my own Nvlink cable and test everything. Will do this now for December holidays.
Have 1 Nvlink on side. Case is not big deal.
Thanks Ellimist ;)

HowDeadly

Cable Smoosher
Dec 27, 2017
I know I'm still waiting for any information about the case. But I've been noticing quite awhile now that the photos is no longer shown if its due to its expire or was deleted? A lot of us or few that may still be waiting for this is already losing hope. @LukeD Give us any info on what's going on at least or just tell us if you lost the files, product stolen, more delay due to manufacture problem or Covid-19, given up on it and moved on to another project, still trying to figure out in life, or just busy outside world that you don't have time?

Ellimist

Trash Compacter
Feb 11, 2018
I've noticed he has been on the forum but hasn't replied here. But he did give an update to the request on twitter. I'd say based on the response this really needs to go into stalled now.
https://twitter.com/LukeD_NC
"Believe it or not I do still get asked. I've had to refocus on a few other things in life, but I'm back to square one with finding a manufacturer for the project, so it won't be soon." - LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey everyone,

I don't know where to start, in terms of an update so the following will be a bit of a brain dump ...

Last I updated I was in talks with a manufacturer to bring this case to market. Unfortunately we had issues getting it all to happen.
And it was just a case of me missing an email from them and when I'd respond back they'd be busy with something else.
We just seemed to miss each other.
After that I started a new job and that was very involved and still is to this day. Its one of the most involved positions ive had in my life. Very rewarding but very demanding.
And as @Ricky said a few posts above, life indeed did get busy. I normally keep these things private but I just want you guys to understand that its not my lack of interest in the project why I disappeared for a while, it was all just life: I moved continents, bought a house, started a new job, my mother had a second operation, covid-19 happened and then my father passed away .... and somewhere along the way I got divorced. This is not meant to be a sob story just being 100% transparent, this way you guys can see why the project has been on and off time and time again.

I'm still keen on getting this to market and I've just sent an email to the original manufacturer, we'll see how discussions flow on from there.

Last edited:

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Hey man. I am sorry to hear about that string of unfortunate events that happened to you. Life is all about its up and downs, and I am certain and hope that things will only get better from here on.

That being said, I have a further but quite controversial comment to this. I fully understand how life can take such a turn. A few months ago I have lost everything including my house, country, PC and any forms of a connection to get in contact with anything. However, blaming these things for the lack of an update for over a year is not THE valid excuse here. I would have been a lot more understanding if you had said that you had lost the drive at the time . But I can never rationally say "It was not possible for him to provide a single update for over 13 months"; because you definitely had that ability at one point or another.

People never demanded a positive update filled with action and progress either. People just wanted to know where the project is heading; whether it's cancelled, halted or being worked on. We all would have understood whatever you might provided no matter what it is. We are all humans at the end, and we all go through hardships. Going completely AWOL and not saying a word was surely not the wisest decision though.

I apologise if this came out as a harsh criticism. I really had no intention whatsoever of making it like so. I am actually not personally interested in buying such a case. However, I had read many pages of this thread a while ago, and I was impressed by how passionate people were towards this project. I felt like the people you involved with their interests had the right to know whatever was going on. Hence my sympathy to both parties.

Once again, I hope things only get better for you from here on. Best of luck!