Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey @LukeD , I see that you are on version 5 now, so do you think that you could post a picture of all the evolutions of the case side by side just for poops and giggles?

I'll try to get you a picture like that this weekend, when I'm back home. I've actually got all the cases lined up in a row and will write a little blurb up for it :)

Hey @LukeD any update on the project, no matter how small? You still waiting on the front panel?
Also what is this 'new feature' you speak of? :D

Yes, still working on front panel. Next week I'll be ordering the PCIe riser and SLI cables. Li-Heat are sending me samples tomorrow with different lengths, so I'm going to choose the optimal size.
It's coming together guys. Literally the case is just held up because of cables at this stage.
I'm leaving the new feature as a small surprise when the official announcement is made, as its still being implemented into the final revision of the chassis (v6) and things may come up.

unsubscribed

Sorry to hear that bud.

Ellimist

Trash Compacter
Feb 11, 2018
where can I throw my money. Pics and a blurb on the versions sounds really cool.

I've been planning out the build as it will be an upgrade for me to do it. U.2 drives are looking tasty over old SATA SSD's when you want lots of capacity and speed.

Can't wait for this chassis as its really the only one out there that does an efficient SLI layout in a nice compact size.

Glad to hear its all coming together.

Reactions: LukeD

Reizel

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 20, 2018
Hey, @LukeD your case is amazing. Really nice job!

This is most likely impossible, since you plan on starting production of this case, but is there any chance you could release blueprints for this case? I've been waiting for the release of this case for a long time now, and now that I got my laser drill I wish I could just print my own case.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey, @LukeD your case is amazing. Really nice job!

This is most likely impossible, since you plan on starting production of this case, but is there any chance you could release blueprints for this case? I've been waiting for the release of this case for a long time now, and now that I got my laser drill I wish I could just print my own case.
Welcome to the forum! As you'll note, many creators put simplified, non-manufacturable designs in the resources section. Purely for fitment purposes. Not to mention the redesigning it would take to make this "printable," which nips that idea in the bud. You're better off building your own case if you want to go that route, though as near as I can tell Orthrus is nearing completion.

Reizel

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 20, 2018
Welcome to the forum! As you'll note, many creators put simplified, non-manufacturable designs in the resources section. Purely for fitment purposes. Not to mention the redesigning it would take to make this "printable," which nips that idea in the bud. You're better off building your own case if you want to go that route, though as near as I can tell Orthrus is nearing completion.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I am indeed modelling my own case using the Orthrus as the base chassis because the layout is so good, but I am having problems with the internal measures. So that's why I asked, though I knew that it was a long shot.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I am indeed modelling my own case using the Orthrus as the base chassis because the layout is so good, but I am having problems with the internal measures. So that's why I asked, though I knew that it was a long shot.
Of course :) if you know which ones you need specifically, LukeD might be able to help. Or any of us for that matter, if you start another thread in the Custom Cases and Projects section.

Reactions: Reizel

vikinggoat

Case Bender
May 22, 2018
I know you're deep in prepping to bring the current case to market, but I'm wondering if you think you'll want to make another one in the future?
This seems like a largely positive experience, even with problems you've had of sourcing the parts.

This is very nearly the perfect case for my needs, but it's just the tiniest too large in the height direction since I'm looking for something that will fit in my Ikea Kallax which has square openings of 330mm. Even so I'll be waiting with baited breath for the release announcement, 6mm be damned.

Also, congratulations on being the Protocase PC spotlight for almost an entire year now :D https://www.protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/computer.php

xSanchez78

Average Stuffer
Jan 15, 2018
So since my previous laptop was really bad, I went ahead and did a temporary build with some money I had now and continued to save up money for this build. I ended up choosing Ryzen for my platform and went with the Ryzen 5 2600. I know I talked about x299 before on this thread but obviously that's a bit too overkill, a bit too hot and power demanding, and a bit too much of a waste of money. I figured I could use my Ryzen 5 2600 I have now plus my Trident Z RGB ram for a Ryzen build in this case. It's a very capable 6 core processor which is all I'll ever need and I think I will go with GTX 1170 SLI to pair with it. Plus when 3rd gen Ryzen or even later generations come out, I could very easily upgrade to those. So for the motherboard - I know AsRock's X370 board worked quite well for bifurcation and SLI as @LukeD tested. I figured that when their X470 board came out, it would be the same story, and infact be even better for this build, not only because it is the proper second gen platform to go with second gen Ryzen, but also because it doesn't have that ugly red color scheme. However... there is actually a review of this motherboard on this site, here. If you look towards the bottom, you find that the reviewer points out that bifurcation actually doesn't work that well, atleast with the cards he tested. That came across to me as a major disappointment and so I thought I'd ask here, since this case utilizes this bifurcation feature, is this true? Does the board really have broken PCIe bifurcation, and there will be no updates to the BIOS to fix it? Has anyone else tested this or have any knowledge on it? Keep in mind, just like last generation X370 that did support it well, it is said to be supported on the motherboards product page.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Choosing between this and the DAN C4 SFX is going to be hard...

Think it's going to come down to budget. If I have a stable engineering job, TR4 7nm (not 32+ core unless 7nm is as godly efficient as the drives from the expanse) + sli 1180 ti to power a PiMax 8k. Otherwise C4.

I'm really invested in the C4, but this is just so enticing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Not really. this supports SLI. And it looks sexier doing it. :p

the other case is nice but not as good I think.
At a sacrifice of a ~50% volume increase. It's a future me problem at any rate, unless something happens far more quickly than I see these happening.