Completed Project Jolokia - Tiny but potent

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I love this project, because it utilizes several very cool and SFF-specific concepts that I've wanted to see implemented in a case. It's tiny yet suitable for an X99/X299 build, using ASRock's unique HEDT boards. It also uses the HDPlex AC-DC + DC-ATX combo, which I've wanted to see implemented in a way that makes sense, and it does in this case. The reason it does is because of the low-profile GPU, which ensures you won't need more than 300W. (unless you're OCing an X299 chip significantly, but you shouldn't do that in anything smaller than an M1 anyway). You have room for a decent CPU cooler, and the GPU can be cooled by Noctua fans, similar to using an Accelero in an M1, which is a really cool and efficient use of space as well.

It's a niche use case, yet everything about it makes sense. Even if the CPU cooler ramps up, the PSU is passive and the GPU fans will be quiet, so the system overall will never be too loud with Noctua fans. And I don't think the use case is THAT niche, there are people who need lots of CPU power, but don't need much graphics power. I myself have an X99E-ITX/ac in an M1, and I hardly play games anymore... And the 1050 Ti is not bad, can totally play any game at 1080p with decent settings. I dig this case. I hope there's demand for it. The beauty of SFF is that it allows you to optimize things in a cool way, and this case does that, it's just very well thought out.

joeartboy

Cable Smoosher
Oct 30, 2017
i am very interested to get one of his design. Please let me know if you are going to start working for the next batch order :)

joeartboy

Cable Smoosher
Oct 30, 2017
way to expensive for just a small case, but it justify the cost :) i wonder how much it cost to ship in my country Philippines?

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Hey, @Aibohphobia, awesome project!

I'm sorry i lost the sales round, so i've got to ask: is it possible to buy your Jolokia's CAD files for personal, non-commercial/non-profitable, use?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Thanks for the hint, @VegetableStu!

You could pull the EVGA Hadron files (there are some floating around the internet). The two cases are very similar and would take very little to make the changes to make it into a jolokia. Starting from scratch is also an option and design based on the images in this thread and in the ATX case thread (really good design information in there which would translate)

Reactions: VegetableStu

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
It occurs to me that Protocase (IIRC they made these prototypes) may have the plans on file. If Aiboh could be contacted to tell Protocase to permit others to use the plans, then as far as Protocase is concerned, it's another small run of Jolokia, with per unit production pricing based on order quantity. Shipping to "backers" would be a bit tricky to keep inexpensive, but it's a path forward...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
You could pull the EVGA Hadron files (there are some floating around the internet). The two cases are very similar and would take very little to make the changes to make it into a jolokia. Starting from scratch is also an option and design based on the images in this thread and in the ATX case thread (really good design information in there which would translate)

Jolokia - 7 liters / ITX motherboard / ITX-length, half-height GPU / DC PSU

Hadron - 16 liters / ITX motherboard / full-length, full-height GPU / 1U PSU

Not really a similar product, aside from being ITX computer cases...

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Jolokia - 7 liters / ITX motherboard / ITX-length, half-height GPU / DC PSU

Hadron - 16 liters / ITX motherboard / full-length, full-height GPU / 1U PSU

Not really a similar product, aside from being ITX computer cases...

I agree that in its stock form a Hadron is very different and not comparable other than the shape. But its also possible to get user created cad files for it whereas the Jolokia would probably take longer depending on when/if Aibo comes back to the site.

Take the Hadron, scale it down, remove a few part, reorganize, fix some MTM and MTA issues from the changes, and you have a somewhat close Jolokia. I was just implying that if they wanted to have a go with creating a similar case to the Jolokia but didn't want to start from scratch, the hadron is similar and with some modification could be turned into what they wanted. It would be easier to just start from scratch obviously, but its not completely out of the realm of possibility to do this.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Jessica, @Aibohphobia, good to see you back here however briefly.
I hope you are well in these strange times.
I'm only sorry that I'm in the UK and not in a position to buy one.
Jolokia brings back some great memories, I'm most grateful for all your hard work in expanding the SFF universe.
My Sliger S610 has a lot of Cerberus DNA, I wouldn't have thought a few years ago that a 5L case with GPU was possible, and your influential PSU case was a definite inspiration to buy a Deskmini, all 2L of it!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I hope you are well in these strange times.

I'm doing much better, it's been a strange few years for sure though.

I'm only sorry that I'm in the UK and not in a position to buy one.

It would be too risky to ship the assembled system, but I would consider one of the cases if you're ok with the shipping cost and you are absolutely ok with the fact the cases are prototypes and have various quirks and features flaws.