Completed Project Jolokia - Tiny but potent

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

An experiment with using laser-cut laminated bamboo from Ponoko for the front panels. Like one of the reviews said, one side has quite a bit of burn marks from the laser cutting and the side with the tape backing has some peeling splinters. Plus it's warped slightly, but not that much at all now that I look at it.

It looks pretty good despite that however. But now I really wish I had done the panels with a brushed bare aluminum finish with a slightly darker solid bamboo front panel, that'd look amazing.

Anyway, I have 3 of these panels with the grain vertical and one with it horizontal and can throw it for anyone getting one of the Jolokia prototypes who wants one.

Edit: here's the laser burns I was talking about

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Ouch, those burn marks are quite bad. How thick are the plates? They look quite thin to me, so perhaps they used a laser with more power than required for this thickness.

Love it though! Always put the grain parallel with the longest side, that looks best imho ;-)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I prefer to stay from wood for case material...as it's blocking all heat transfer and as I prefer industrial look..:)

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I prefer to stay from wood for case material...as it's blocking all heat transfer and as I prefer industrial look..:)

Wood's thermal conductivity is similar to air or acrylic, so it's not all that bad. You need airflow in your case anyway.

Reactions: VegetableStu

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
How thick are the plates?

Nominal is 2.7mm, but this panel is more like 2.5mm.

Always put the grain parallel with the longest side

I tried, but with Ponoko you have to pick from a few pre-sized sheets and the best I could do was three with the grain the long way.

Interesting that they seem spaced at consistent intervals

It's probably due to the beam passing over the slats in the laser cutter's bed that the sheet is laying on top of.

I prefer to stay from wood for case material...as it's blocking all heat transfer

Jolokia is ventilated enough that it won't make a difference.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe, but the grain and color on the burned side is pretty boring, so despite the splintering it looks better to have the other side facing out.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Not to play the bad guy, but if that vandal switch is to scale, which I trust that you would have it so, then using your Photoshop scale trick that I learned from your stream, I could in theory work out the dimensions?

Link to the stream discussing the photoshop scale trick?

Reactions: AleksandarK

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I personally don't think anything's wrong with it, but it could definitely be improved. USB-C header, more USB 3.0 ports, better placement of some ports an all-black as the cherry on top.

Reactions: Biowarejak