PPL - Performance Per Liter, do you SFF?

GermanDrifter97

Trash Compacter
May 25, 2018
Sooo... I woke up this morning and couldn't think of something else, sooo...

First I googled on how to get a stable overclock from my mainboard. I really regret now that I didn't wait until better AM4 Mini-ITX boards had shown up, and immediately shot for the Biostar Board...

The Bios is really awful. I can't set for example the Vcore to a specific value, only offsets. And the ability to P-state-overclock was abandoned in one of the Bios updates...

Long story short, I started with an increase of 100 MHz to the clock, and left all voltages on Auto. The CPU-Z Benchmark just ran fine, but to make sure that the overclock is really stable and works properly, I ran Cinebench Multicore Test right after... Which showed me, that, even when CPU-Z calculated a better score, Cinebench instantly crashed my PC. So, the next step was to increase Vcore, and run all tests again (You can see the steps I made in the table at the top on the left of the picture):

While I left the ratio at 38 the whole time, I fiddled with Vcore and SOC voltages until I had a stable run through Cinebench R15. Finally, I had a score of 4575.9 in CPU-Z, and a stable Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8 GHz and 1.356 V. I reran Heaven Benchmark and got to my surprise a worse score than before. I changed some power related settings in the Bios and changed the Windows power plan from balanced to ultimate power, and then achieved a score of 3332 (bottom right). Just for fun, I reopened CPU-Z, and somehow got an even better score of 4606.6

https://valid.x86.fr/vpmpqp

During one benchmark run, I accidentally left Heaven Benchmark in the foreground, which capped the framerate at 60 FPS. Even weirder, in some scenes, it didn't go over 24 FPS. I left the benchmark running and screenshoted the result (bottom left)

And with this, I got a PPL-score of 2280611, which beats @confusis score of 2267263 XD

Next I shoot for best CPU score of 4749.4 (@theGryphon with a 1800x @ 3.825 GHz) :thumb:

Edit: As for temps, during CPU-Z, the maximum was ~74/75°C, but Cinebench cooked the Ryzen up to 84°C... I have to evaluate how it will perform under video editing, compressing and gaming tasks, but I'm a bit careful because I still have the stock cooler, and in that small case, hot air can't escape as quick...

Last edited:

GermanDrifter97

Trash Compacter
May 25, 2018
thar, updated sir :)

I had to calculate your heaven score since you didn't put it for this entry though.

I'm so sorry, I'm an Idiot. The heaven score is on the bottom right of the big picture (3332), but I calculated with the old score of 3317. Just leave the score as it is, it was my own fault XD

GermanDrifter97

Trash Compacter
May 25, 2018
Reactions: ZMan

ZMan

Average Stuffer
Oct 12, 2017
NIce one! And holy smokes, a 7700k in 3.8l... how are the temps? And what cooler do you use?
The cooler is Zalman CNPS2X. It is good enough to keep the CPU from thermal throttling in games. My goal in this build was to have 1080p @ 60Hz in all games, as light, small and cheep as possible. 2.7kg , 3.8l , fully upgradable = I am happy with the results.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So, I just couldn't let my lead slip away for too long. So I tweaked again. Am currently GPU overclocking in the hope that I gain #1 back :D