Log Portable workstation

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
As I need a working AND portable system ASAP, I decided to postpone further trials - and continuous fails - with the 280 AIO mod in the A4-H2O, and just build a "regular" system with a 240 AIO.

A bit of a back story:
Yesterday night, I tested whether or not the Meshi would fit comfortable in the backpack I aquired, and well, the answer is: noish. In German, there is this fancy word called "Jein" / "Jain" (its not a part of the official vocabulary, but people use it nonetheless). It means: Yes and no - combined.

Yes, it somehow fits, but NO, you cannot put anything else into the backpack; maybe a mouse, but not even a very flat keyboard like the Sharkoon PureWriter would fit without breaking it.

But the A4-H2O as well as the S400 and the S300 fit perfectly, with enough space to spare for keyboard, mouse, and maybe a smaller portable monitor.
So, FOR NOW, this build log is going to focus on a merely "normal" build in the A4-H2O.

Later on, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, it might change into a less normal AIO build in the S400 V2. But depending on my mood, it could even turn into a very un-normal, but "classic" air cooled build. Also see my ponderings at the S400 Liquid Cooling Mod thread.

So, the usual specs info dump:

Case: Dan Case A4-H2O w/ black panels
CPU: Ryzen 9 7950X
MB: Asrock B650E PG-ITX
RAM: 64 GB DDR5 5200 (main build) / 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL30 (test build) - both Corsair Vengeance
Storage: 2x 2 TB (FireCuda 530 + SK Hynix P41)
AIO: Thermalright Frozen Edge 240 + 2x Arctic P12 Max
PSU: Corsair SF750
GPU: Inno3D RTX 4070 Twin X2 OC White Stealth with "hidden" power connector
Riser: PCIe 4 supplied with the case / with the "server-focused" PCIe riser cable as a fallback option
Case fans: 2x 120 mm slim (bottom), probably Scythe Flex 120 Slim, potentially detachable for secure transport
Case feet: 3 cm rectangular furniture feet (link is mentioned somewhere in the 280 thread)

Yet to aquire:

- AM5 contact frame - mostly for avoiding smearing the thermal paste everywhere
- RGB strip for the bottom, sth. akin to the Phanteks DRGB strip, but without any proprietary BS (suggestions, anyone?)

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I'd like to add Silverstone Shark Force 120 ARGB instead of the P12 Max, but there is next to zero reviews about them :(
Yeah, could just buy em, but then it might end in having another set of unused fans sitting around.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Another update: While preparing the build, I tried replacing the USB-C 3.1 cable with a 3.2 variant; failed, because of the very exclusive design.

Workaround: I used the Graugear USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, which comes with a PCie slot bracket. Going to use this, as there is exactly one slot left behind the GPU; eventually I might also make some cutouts for the rest of the front IO in the bracket, and thus ALL the cable clutter is being located at one location.

If I was to use an external DAC (board comes with SPDIF / Toslink out), I could even skip this step, the additional USB 2.0 port is not really helpful anyway.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
AIO: Thermalright Frozen Edge seems to be a candidate for tube routing underneath the PSU.

It feels like a really solid, well-thought out unit. Comes pre-installed with fans and a fan hub.

Its just two parts to pull from the package - the whole AIO and the assets, which include said fan hub, the mounting brackets + backplate for 1200/1700, AM4 /AM5 mounting brackets, and short screws for attaching the radiator to a case fan or radiator bracket.

As mentioned in the specs, going to replaced the fans with 2x Arctic P12 Max.

The pre-installed fans are TL-B12s. Nice, soild, with rubber corners et all.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Mainboard:

Moved things over from the Z690 board, ie. RAM + the SK Hynix P41.

Both boards have an almost identical layout, but the B650E weights about 300g less (approx 650g, including the massive m.2 cooler).

Removed the overkill PCIe 5 m2 cooler - its also blocking one fan header, so even worse. Replaced it with the be quiet non-pro m2 cooler.
As there is still a heatpipe leading away onto the VRM cooling / IO cooling section, the M.2 should be very well cooled and not in need of the M2 Pro (which comes with one heatpipe).

That one is being saved for the back of the mainboard - when its time, the FireCuda 530 is gonna move there.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
And hooray, looks like as if the package with the screws etc thats supposed to lurk around in the case has gone lost. I probably put it at a specific place thats "meaningful", and now it turns out: IT. IS. NOT. *sighs*

Not that I dont have any other screws from the bazillion of other cases and projects .. maybe some of the Meshlicious or Meshroom S gonna fit. And OC I got a fancy set of offset screws ages ago, too.

Update: Found it.
I did indeed put it in a "relevant" place: The box of the Z690. It was underneath the top layer of the cardboard inlay.
And THAT is why we put stuff always back in its original boxes / places if we dont use it right now.

Yes, it contains standoff screws. And some fancy zip-ties. And other screws, among those, the ones for the mainboard, too.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Update on the AIO: It goes over the PSU, or it gets the hose again!

Had to move the radiator to the hindmost position, and its still a tight fit. Both for the tubes being bent AND the tube length to reach the CPU!

Side-mounted AIO was so much easier in comparison :(

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Picture dump on the insta:

More pictures in preparation. Finished most of the cable fun. Rerouted the AIO fan cables, should be almost invisible (except for the Noctua Y-splitter cable). Also see my cursing about the PSU mb cable at the ancestor build thread.

Big image dump on the blog when I'm done. Hopefully, this weekend.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Reminder to self: When you buy fan guards, make sure they're AS FLAT AS POSSIBLE.

The most effort I had was NOT installing them (and finding out I could do the Arctic pre-install LF 2 trick with the fan cables, too), but that one wasnt quite that level. Had to slightly force down the radiator after.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
More stuff gotten done:

1. Fan fun: Had to replaced the fan splitter with the fan hub supplied by Thermalright, just because its one LOONG cable, while the Noctua Y-Splitter is two short cables that end in one PWM connector. Didnt work as nice as with other cases. Also didnt want to permanently damage them, so I swallowed the bitter pill and used said fan hub.

2. USB 3.2 Gen 2
extension "card": Installed a 90° adapter, threaded the cable of the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 through the PSU cables, and got it properly routed, too. Hooray for GPU stand-off mod :)

3. CPU: Installed. Removed SAM.

4. Thermalgrizzly Contact & Sealant Frame: Installed. Looks all fancy now. Except its already covered in grey goo.

5. CPU Waterblock: Thermalright Frozen Edge 240 - is installed now. Total PITA to get it locked on the mounting mechanism, and the tubes looked like they might bulge quite a bit, but so far .. no.

6. Added all panels (except on the front) back for the first time in 3 months: No bulging like feared before. Even on top: No issue.

7. Moved stuff around and used most of the S396 peripherials to test if the bloody thing actually runs.

Without further ado: IT RUNS! 🥳 😍

8. Forgot that P12 Max are insanely loud when at full blast. First thing I had to figure out is how to setup up a fan curve, that Asrock "cleverly" hides away under H/W Monitor > "Fan-Tastic". Also changed the XMP profile to its correct one. 4800? wtf?

... and THATS IT. For now.

NOW, to the bed and sleeeeep! 😴🛏️💤

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
A few more updates:

a) Did the fan curve.

HUGE REMINDER: Arctic P12 Max are 3300 rpm! 30% on them is NOT the same as with regular fans!

So, 30% = 990 ~= 1000 rpm, vs. normal fan, which would be between 600 and 700 at that point.

Curve thus looks more like: 20%, 35%, 45% and 60% at 80 C, with full blast past 85 C (might be better to set it to 90 C or so).

b) Second M2 slot on the backside of the mainboard: Might have to pull out the dremel, its so-so clashing with the bottom cutout of the MB spine. Has a touch of the issue of the Z690 PG.

c) M2 issue, other option: Just got an SFF to SFF extension card delivered. Allows for moving the M2 to another position, with a 20 cm long cable. Apparently mostly used for AMD handhelds, the ratings / reviews on Amazon read all like that, including the raging negative ones.

I'm 100% sure those folks never considered that THIS stuff is NOT meant for their Asus ROG handheld, but just "normal" PCs XD

d) PSU standoff mod: I might be able to lower the PSU by about 1 cm using standoffs, to easen the AIO tubes and potentially avoiding getting the PSU extension cord caught in the P12 Max. Normally even 2 cm would be possible, but then I would lose the hard-earned option for using the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port, as the 90° adapter would clash with the PSU.

e) AIO: Might help myself to another Silverstone Vida 240, just to reduce a bit of weight, improve noise levels and maybe even cooling performance (case 22 mm vs. 27).

THAT one totally depends on whether or not I can aquire something like a custom riser cable. IF I get a custom one, obviously NOT.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So, PSU standoff mod: Doesnt really help ANYTHING, except if the tubes of your AIO come down RIGHT ON TOP of it.
To make it REALLY work, one would had to REMOVE the "side flaps" of the PSU mounting bracket.

I managed to add insanely long standoffs aka radiator screws (30 mm long), but it doesnt help anything because of the above mentioned issue.

What WOULD benefit the tubes is moving the PSU to the front. That works if your GPU is no longer than 250 mm. Mine is exactly that length, there is like no space left, but if you move the PSU down a bit, you can somehow add about 1 - 2 mm of distance. Now we just need some kind of mounting option, et voila! MUCH BETTER fitting for the tubes.

If I had the choice I'd rather flip the PSU upside down, like its done in the T1 (with the power connector to the bottom), and move it towards the bottom of the case as much as possible, ie. so that there is just enough space left for the PSU extension cord to slot into the PSU.

Combine: PSU cables on top + front mount = might even allow for a 92 or 120 mm side intake, but deffo more airflow, waaay less stressed tubes and waaay more space to stuff your cables into.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited: