Log Help with High-End A4-H2O build!

aj569

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2023
Hey guys, longtime lurker here, longtime Hardforum member, looking for advice on my first SFF build from you all that are 10,000x more knowledgeable about this than I am!

Usage: 90% (50hrs+/wk) work/productivity, 10% (~2-10hrs/wk) gaming
Budget: Effectively unlimited. Prefer not to pay a huge premium for temporarily OOS items (i.e. compatible 4090), but also not looking to shave off cost unless there's zero benefit to the more expensive part..
Experience: New to SFF, have not built a PC in 10+ years. Have been catching up the last few weeks on news/forums.

PC Partpicker List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2bCxs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor (once available), possibly a normal 7950X
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (would love some guidance for the best option here)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: VENGEANCE® 96GB (2x48GB) DDR5 DRAM 5600MHz C40 Memory Kit — Black (once available, not yet in PCPP)
Storage (OS): Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (already purchased)
Storage (Storage): Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card or NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card, or maybe just something like a PowerColor RX 7900 XT 20G Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card since it's in stock.
Case: Lian Li A4-H20 X4 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone Extreme 850R Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (can drop to a Corsair SF750 if I do a less thirsty GPU)
Monitor: Samsung ARK 55.0" 3840 x 2160 165 Hz Curved Monitor, possibly 57" Samsung G9 (once released), possibly triple 42" LG C2/C3 (still TBD)

Questions:
1. Any incompatibilities I should be aware of (MB w/ A4-H2O, cooler clearance on this MB, etc.)?
2. For the CPU, given I'm using this for mostly work, should I just be doing a 7950x instead (maybe undervolted to keep heat in check)?
3. I like the idea of these new 96GB memory kits, but any potential issues on an AM5 build?
4. PCPP says this CPU and MB are incompatible. I don't see why but confirmation from you all could help. Seems to affect the Asus 650E as well.
5. Do I need to be replacing cooler fans for Noctua as a lot of people seem to?
6. Do I need any custom cabling or anything else I might be forgetting?

Open to any and all feedback or ideas! Thank you!!!

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Some things I can help you with:

First of all I don´t have am5, I use am4, so take that in mind.

On the cpu side I´d go with the 7950x, I don´t see the x3d advantage at all for work, or playing at high resolution, which many of us do.

On the RAM side, I´m not sure why you need such a huge amount of RAM, but it´s gonna cost you some performance in name of size I´d search decent size with the best timings possible if you want to help boost performace. I´d spend whatever cheaper the "x3d" cpu is in here.

I´d go for the nvidia GPU. Again I don´t know which kind of workload you aer going to be using but sometimes AMD gpus are literally useless because the software uses CUDA cores, and it doesn´t even work with AMD, be carefull with this.

I cannot help you much more. I can tell you that if the 7950x is any similar to 3950 or 5950 it´s very usefull to undervolt a bit. I have on one of my pcs a very good 3950x that performs better than a stock one for rendering while consuming less power. RAM configuration has also a lot of importance in this.

I don´t see why the MB would not be compatible with the CPU... makes no sense to me

I´d try to make some kind of custom loop using a tiny pump like dc-lt 12. It´s going to be powerfull enough, and you will be able to select a good block, and a proper radiator but it´s not like AIO´s are bad or anything, that´s what I´d do.

Last edited: