Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'm really filling up this thread with posts, but I'm hoping these will be useful to others trying to decide on a portable monitor option in the future.

RTINGS.com has been posting quite a lot of portable monitor reviews lately. I like their reviews as they have equipment to measure color accuracy, and response times where other reviews simply quote the manufacturers specs without independent testing.

Monitors: Reviews - RTINGS.com

They have reviewed quite a few options including:

ASUS ROX Strix XG17AHPE
ASUS ZenScreen Go MB16AHP
ASUS ZenScreen MB14AC
ASUS ZenScreen Touch MB16AMT
Lenovo ThinkScreen M14
Lepow Z1
Lepow Z1 Gamut
Viewsonic VG1655

The MSI Optix MAG161V review is in Early Access now, and the ASUS ProArt PA148CTV is in the lab for testing.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm really filling up this thread with posts, but I'm hoping these will be useful to others trying to decide on a portable monitor option in the future.

RTINGS.com has been posting quite a lot of portable monitor reviews lately. I like their reviews as they have equipment to measure color accuracy, and response times where other reviews simply quote the manufacturers specs without independent testing.

Monitors: Reviews - RTINGS.com

They have reviewed quite a few options including:

ASUS ROX Strix XG17AHPE
ASUS ZenScreen Go MB16AHP
ASUS ZenScreen MB14AC
ASUS ZenScreen Touch MB16AMT
Lenovo ThinkScreen M14
Lepow Z1
Lepow Z1 Gamut
Viewsonic VG1655

The MSI Optix MAG161V review is in Early Access now, and the ASUS ProArt PA148CTV is in the lab for testing.
That's great, there aren't many places that do monitor reviews on the level of Rtings, and especially few that do portable monitor reviews. I just wish they had the resources to do a higher volume of reviews :p

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have, at long last ordered a portable monitor!

After much back and forth, not helped by a lack of reviews, I've gone for the ASUS ROG Strix XG16AHPE (15.6 inch 144Hz).

If it turns out to be as good as the bigger 17.3 inch version, I'll be happy. In case you're wondering, I didn't go for the bigger XG17AHPE as none of my laptop bags are big enough for it.

It's not actually in stock at Amazon yet, so my delivery date is currently 11-25 August, but I'm hoping I get it before then.

Once it arrives, I'll shoot some video of it and post it here. I'd like to put out some kind of review, or at least an overview with a test of ASUS's claims regarding battery life, brightness, and whatever else I can check. Let me know if there's anything in particular you would be interested in seeing.

Unfortunately, I don't have thousands of dollars of colorimeters and spectrophotometers available to test it, but I'll dust off my Spyder 5 and let you know what it reports.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I have, at long last ordered a portable monitor!

After much back and forth, not helped by a lack of reviews, I've gone for the ASUS ROG Strix XG16AHPE (15.6 inch 144Hz).

If it turns out to be as good as the bigger 17.3 inch version, I'll be happy. In case you're wondering, I didn't go for the bigger XG17AHPE as none of my laptop bags are big enough for it.

It's not actually in stock at Amazon yet, so my delivery date is currently 11-25 August, but I'm hoping I get it before then.

Once it arrives, I'll shoot some video of it and post it here. I'd like to put out some kind of review, or at least an overview with a test of ASUS's claims regarding battery life, brightness, and whatever else I can check. Let me know if there's anything in particular you would be interested in seeing.

Unfortunately, I don't have thousands of dollars of colorimeters and spectrophotometers available to test it, but I'll dust off my Spyder 5 and let you know what it reports.
Looking forward to it!

Reactions: AlexTSG

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
The ASUS ProArt PA148CTV review is now available on RTINGs.com

ASUS ProArt PA148CTV Review - RTINGS.com

While it's one of the better portable monitors they've reviewed, it still doesn't score very well.

I thought, given it's ProArt designation, that it would have full sRGB coverage, and higher coverage of Adobe RGB.
Something something, you were the chosen one, something something. I had been considering this one.

They don't hold back do they?

nnyath

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2020
Got the Intehill 1080p 17.3'' IPS 240hz portable monitor about a month ago and have been very happy with it so far.

Very little info about it, but I did find what look like to be a reputable review so I decided to take a gamble.
If I had to guess, most of these portable monitors are probably a "slight defects IPS screen" from a laptop panel manufacturer and these companies essentially repurpose and assemble them as portable monitors instead. I wonder if it's the same panel as the one used in the XG17AHPE.

To sum up my experience so far

Pros​

• After shipping and (no) taxes to California from their official English store front, it ended up being $125 USD less than the comparable XG17AHPE (after taxes)
    • It was on sale though and they actually have since raised prices back up $50
      • Not sure if they now include shipping
      • They do have a free shipping coupon if you sign up for their mailing list
    • It's actually much cheaper on Alibaba if you wanted to try that approach
  • Quality control looks pretty good
    • No IPS light bleed at all or dead pixels
    • Color calibration looks good (I don't do any color intensive work)
  • No noticeable smearing/ghosting (eye test) during gaming
  • No noticeable response issues
  • G-Sync/FreeSync over USB-C detected without issue
  • Customer service was very transparent and was in constant communication
    • They let me know about build delays ahead of time
    • They also offered to refund me due to said delays

Meh​

• 1 year warranty
    • Most likely you will have to pay shipping back to China
  • No built-in battery like the XGA17HPE
    • More of a pro for me, I don't like the idea of a battery that will eventually degrade and/or add more heat
  • No VESA support
    • Would have been nice to have a quick attach to my main monitor setup
  • Initially I had a lot of black screen restarts
    • With both input types
      • Over HDMI and external power brick
      • Over USB-C Input/PD
    • Could be due to multiple factors though
      • Power delivery due to Belkin VR Charge and Sync cable/motherboard
      • Reverted brightness back down to factory to the factory 50
      • ADT-Link DP/HDMI risers from the Velka 7 case
    • Haven't had one a long while though, so it seems to have been fixed
  • Speakers aren't great
    • But that's a given on almost any monitor so I don't want to list it as a con

Cons​

• The cover feels cheap (cardboard wrapped in pleather)
    • Slips as a stand on hard surfaces
    • I'm pairing it with a Pepper Jobs SSS-T6 for both travel and at home
    • No pressure point damage carrying it my backpack's padded laptop compartment so far though
Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
My ASUS ROG Strix XG16 has arrived!

I've been using it over the weekend, and shooting tons of video for an unboxing video that will probably take me the rest of this week to get edited.

First impressions are good. No buyers remorse :)

The quality of the screen is very good, and it even came with a color calibration report which shows it as having 97% sRGB, 2.19 Gamma (2.2 target), and 1.20 Avg. Delta E.

If I have one criticism so far, it's the speakers. They're quite tinny, and not very loud. I haven't taken any measurements, but I'd say they're not getting much below 200-250Hz.

Here's one of the clips I shot for the upcoming unboxing video which I posted to Instagram today, showing a 360 degree view of the monitor.

Reactions: Valantar and Phuncz

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
how's everyone's thoughts on the magedok M140A 100% ARGB display? i'm hoping it's not something that sounds too good to be true 😓

(also anyone tried ordering from their shopify page to the UK?)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
how's everyone's thoughts on the magedok M140A 100% ARGB display? i'm hoping it's not something that sounds too good to be true 😓

(also anyone tried ordering from their shopify page to the UK?)
Considering they also have a model listed as 100% P3 I would take those specs with a scoop or two of salt. Still, looks interesting!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah the handful of reviews are kinda bit too positive on amazon 😓 i don't know if it's worth dumping lots of curiosity money (also i could use that gamut, my current one has a pretty bad red range

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
A new entrant: Viewsonic VX1755. 17.2" (that's an odd size, no?) 1080p144 with FreeSync Premium for $299. Definitely a lower tier than the Asus options (6-bit+FRC panel; 4.5ms advertised GtG response times with overdrive), 800:1 native contrast, but still seems acceptable - and it's from a reputable brand with broad distribution, so hopefully it'll be available in a lot of places without needing to order from abroad. There's an integrated kickstand, but no tripod mount. Speakers too. USB-C and Mini HDMI inputs, plus USB-C power. Does not seem to have an integrated battery, and it's not clear if it can be run off a single USB-C cable (though given the 11W rating it should be possible as long as the USB-C port supports 3A output).

Here's hoping there's a 15"-class version in the works as well.

bawjaws

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2017
Late to the party here, but I have an Asus MB14AC and it works pretty nicely with both my work laptop (Lenovo X280, via its Thunderbolt 3 port) and my home PC (via the VirtualLink port on my 2070). Both of these connect as DisplayPort without needing any drivers (whereas if I were to use the USB C to A adaptor that came with the monitor, it needs the DisplayLink driver).

Now all I need to do is investigate some sort of USB C / TB3 / VirtualLink switching hub so that I can connect the monitor to that, so I don't need to plug and unplug things when I switch from desktop to laptop...

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
Am I right in assuming that all newer portable monitors don't have VESA support in order to mount them to a monitor stand? If so, are there any other ways to mount them? I need a 15 inch 1080 touch screen and I need to be able to instantly move it out of my sight.

thanks in advance

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Am I right in assuming that all newer portable monitors don't have VESA support in order to mount them to a monitor stand? If so, are there any other ways to mount them? I need a 15 inch 1080 touch screen and I need to be able to instantly move it out of my sight.

thanks in advance

The ASUS ROG Strix XG16 I'm using has a 1/4-20 mount at the back, so it can be attached to a lot of camera mounting gear, like a magic arm, or even a mic boom arm.

It is pricey if you don't need the 144Hz refresh rate though, and the speakers are trash.

There are also VESA mountable options like this one:

Amazon.com: Portable Monitor, Upgraded 15.6" IPS HDR 1920X1080 FHD Eye Care Screen USB C Gaming Monitor, Dual Speaker Computer Display HDMI Type-C OTG VESA for Laptop PC MAC Phone w/Smart Case : Electronics

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
so finally I bought a mobile 15" monitor. directly from China (I didn't want to but only they have one with features I want)

so I bought first one for 150€ from official uperfect german ebay account with a battery inside.

it was very good but I wanted one with touch so I shipped it back no problem. got my money and the shipping back.

the new 1080p battery touch 15" portable monitor costed 210€ and I bought it directly from https://www.uperfectmonitor.com/
it works like a charm.

just wanted to tell you guys here that I finally found my perfect portable monitor hahaha
so I can fully recommend that Chinese brand

hushshss

Case Bender
New User
Mar 16, 2022
Hi all!
I'm trying out an ASUS rog xg17ahp. If I use it with a laptop connected by the usb-c/powerdisplay port, so with only a single cable, the battery of the monitor is slowly going down. Is it normal? Or maybe it doesnt get enough power from the laptop, or i should change something in the monitor settings?

And a general question. How does power part usually works with this portable monitors? they usually need some external power source?

Also are some of the touchscreen version of these screen can be used as a tablet? Or without a built in wifi this is not possible?