Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hi all!
I'm trying out an ASUS rog xg17ahp. If I use it with a laptop connected by the usb-c/powerdisplay port, so with only a single cable, the battery of the monitor is slowly going down. Is it normal? Or maybe it doesnt get enough power from the laptop, or i should change something in the monitor settings?

And a general question. How does power part usually works with this portable monitors? they usually need some external power source?

Also are some of the touchscreen version of these screen can be used as a tablet? Or without a built in wifi this is not possible?
USB-C host devices provide a maximum of 5V3A/15W over their USB-C ports, but many even less than that, especially when running off battery power (AFAIK TB3 and TB4 mandate 15W output). It's entirely possible for a (relatively) large, bright, high refresh rate display to drain its battery while connected to a port like that. And yes, most of these devices rely on two cables for data and power.

You would need some sort of wireless display tech to use it untethered as a tablet, yes. WiFi wouldn't work well - it would cause significant compression artifacting and high latency. Something like WiGig is required for visually lossless, fast response time wireless display usage, and WiGig is pretty rare and finicky (needs line-of-sight and relatively large antennas).

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi all!
I'm trying out an ASUS rog xg17ahp. If I use it with a laptop connected by the usb-c/powerdisplay port, so with only a single cable, the battery of the monitor is slowly going down. Is it normal? Or maybe it doesnt get enough power from the laptop, or i should change something in the monitor settings?

And a general question. How does power part usually works with this portable monitors? they usually need some external power source?

Also are some of the touchscreen version of these screen can be used as a tablet? Or without a built in wifi this is not possible?

As @Valantar mentioned, the USB port doesn't provide enough power for the XG17AHP and therefore supplements this by using the built in battery.

The first thing you can do to reduce the power usage is to reduce the screen brightness. It may be possible to reach a point where the battery is not drained if the brightness is set low enough. The other option, is to reduce the refresh rate, although this is one of the best features of these ROG monitors. You may find a drop from 240Hz to 144Hz or 120Hz may help.

I also have the Eco mode turned on on my screen and I have no power draw from the battery, although my screen is 15.6 inch and runs at 144Hz.

My ASUS ROG XG16AHP displays this message when you connect it via USB C:

"Charging from NB/PC USB could extend ZenScreen battery life; it's normal that the battery will still be consumed due to insufficient power from USB"

You are then prompted "Would you like to charge from NB/PC?"

You can change this setting, and whether or not the prompt appears from the menu. It's under Power -> Input Device -> Charging from NB/PC

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Hi all!

Typically USB-C monitors are powered by the usb-c connection as well as receive the display signal. If your portable monitor has a battery and the battery is slowly decreasing, it means that the monitor is not receiving enough power.

Is the laptop plugged into the wall when you have the portable monitor plugged in? Laptops usually regulate how much power they send out if they are running off battery.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That's the issue with those screens - from the provided specs, they look really good, but some of them are just too good to be true, which makes the whole thing look fishy. 100% P3 color gamut? Yeah, that isn't happening. And of course no spec can really tell you the actual pixel response times of the monitor, most HDR ratings are bogus, etc. They might be great, but they might also be so bad they're unusable - and there's no way of knowing without trying (or finding a review, which doesn't generally happen for AliExpress products).

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020
Got the Intehill 1080p 17.3'' IPS 240hz portable monitor about a month ago and have been very happy with it so far.

Very little info about it, but I did find what look like to be a reputable review so I decided to take a gamble.
If I had to guess, most of these portable monitors are probably a "slight defects IPS screen" from a laptop panel manufacturer and these companies essentially repurpose and assemble them as portable monitors instead. I wonder if it's the same panel as the one used in the XG17AHPE.

To sum up my experience so far

Pros​

• After shipping and (no) taxes to California from their official English store front, it ended up being $125 USD less than the comparable XG17AHPE (after taxes)
    • It was on sale though and they actually have since raised prices back up $50
      • Not sure if they now include shipping
      • They do have a free shipping coupon if you sign up for their mailing list
    • It's actually much cheaper on Alibaba if you wanted to try that approach
  • Quality control looks pretty good
    • No IPS light bleed at all or dead pixels
    • Color calibration looks good (I don't do any color intensive work)
  • No noticeable smearing/ghosting (eye test) during gaming
  • No noticeable response issues
  • G-Sync/FreeSync over USB-C detected without issue
  • Customer service was very transparent and was in constant communication
    • They let me know about build delays ahead of time
    • They also offered to refund me due to said delays

Meh​

• 1 year warranty
    • Most likely you will have to pay shipping back to China
  • No built-in battery like the XGA17HPE
    • More of a pro for me, I don't like the idea of a battery that will eventually degrade and/or add more heat
  • No VESA support
    • Would have been nice to have a quick attach to my main monitor setup
  • Initially I had a lot of black screen restarts
    • With both input types
      • Over HDMI and external power brick
      • Over USB-C Input/PD
    • Could be due to multiple factors though
      • Power delivery due to Belkin VR Charge and Sync cable/motherboard
      • Reverted brightness back down to factory to the factory 50
      • ADT-Link DP/HDMI risers from the Velka 7 case
    • Haven't had one a long while though, so it seems to have been fixed
  • Speakers aren't great
    • But that's a given on almost any monitor so I don't want to list it as a con

Cons​

• The cover feels cheap (cardboard wrapped in pleather)
    • Slips as a stand on hard surfaces
    • I'm pairing it with a Pepper Jobs SSS-T6 for both travel and at home
    • No pressure point damage carrying it my backpack's padded laptop compartment so far though
Happy to answer any questions.
How did you make gsync working?
Update 1: Now I see that has DP. Now I want this monitor over the ali express ones, because is 110% guaranteed that gsync will work with my card.
But they don't ship in my address, so I have to use uscloser.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

nuwan32

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 1, 2022
Ha, /r/usbchardware finally made it here :) Hi from the moderator team :) The motherlode for bidrectional USB C - DP cables is https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2020/05/10/bi-directional-usbc-dp-cables/

I just bought one of these aliexpress monitors and trying to figure out how to connect to my desktop. From what I gather, the Belkin VR charge and sync should 100% work if I want only that cable for power + display, but its a little expensive. If I use any of these bidirectional cables to go from DP (from desktop RTX 3080) to USB C on the monitor, then it should work, as long as the power is plugged in as well?

nuwan32

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 1, 2022
Also, I would need the cable to be 3m, so would adding a DP 1.4 extension cable to this be ok? So in summary, I would do the following:

PC > DP 1.4 Extension cable > DP 1.4 to USB C Bi-Di. Cable > Monitor

Since this is not powered, I would also have to use the included power adapter USB C cable into the other USB C slot of the monitor?

Here are the cables I'm planning to use:

DP 1.4 to USB-C: DP 1.4 Extension:
Thanks for any help.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Ibdoubt that you can mix bidirectional and non bidirectional cables.

Why not just HDMI if you uave to use a power supply anyway?

nuwan32

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 1, 2022

Really? My thinking was that it doesnt make a difference than to plugging it in directly into the GPU. The bidirectionality only matters when the interface changes.. Plugging into an extension is as if the the connector from the GPU has longer wires before the plug.

And because I'm going to be using a 2.5k 144Hz monitor and HDMI cant do that bandwidth, also USB C is much neater to manage cables with.

nuwan32

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 1, 2022
Really? My thinking was that it doesnt make a difference than to plugging it in directly into the GPU. The bidirectionality only matters when the interface changes.. Plugging into an extension is as if the the connector from the GPU has longer wires before the plug.

And because I'm going to be using a 2.5k 144Hz monitor and HDMI cant do that bandwidth, also USB C is much neater to manage cables with.

Just wanted to say it works. Using a DP extension cable with a DP to USB C bidirectional and a 90 degree USB C adapter without any issue.

Reactions: wertzius