Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I would be interested to see if anyone here would attempt making custom monitor cases. I'm surprised not many more on the site have attempted it.
I am a bit too, though on the other hand the amount of people using portable monitors is tiny compared even to the SFF niche, among those the DIY-willing/able part is probably at best 10% (though likely more like 1%), and among those again those willing to actually make their own chassis rather than just DIY from existing parts is not that many. Just think of how incredibly few people make their own SFF PC cases compared to the overall PC building community. Add to that the fact that unlike motherboards etc. there are no standardized mounting solutions for LCD panels and the increase in difficulty making something that small and thin with tight tolerances, and you've got yourself a very small niche. I mean, I cobbled together a DIY monitor casing from some scrap plastic just to get a casing around an old LCD I had lying around, but (partly due to the zero-budget nature of the build) it ended up thick, janky, and quite ugly. If I had a lot of time and the money for getting a casing CNC'd I would probably do so, but I don't, so ... yeah. I also think those Aliexpress pre-made casings are fugly, which is keeping me from buying a panel for a DIY monitor I'd actually use (the panel I had lying around was unusably bad, so the project was discarded). At least in my view, there are too many complicating factors that get in the way of a good DIY portable monitor unless you have tons of cash to spend, in which case you might as well just get an XG17.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Kmpkt @Valantar Yeah I'm meaning laptop monitors. A case that is simple to build and isn't too chunky. There aren't that many pro standard colour accurate portable monitors around that don't cost $1000 and up. I'm wondering if the solution for the varying monitor mounts, might be to just focus on a small group of laptop monitors that have simliar mounting points in the mean time.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
I would be interested to see if anyone here would attempt making custom monitor cases. I'm surprised not many more on the site have attempted it.

? I was talking about that few page ago! I'm a little bit busy with my case, But the next project might be about this...

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
The cases on AliExpress wont fit. The heatsink on the board it too tall. I've asked multiple sellers. I have bought a case and driver for a 15.6" panel from my acer nitro 5 when I upgraded it to a 120hz panel. I use the old panel on the side of my 27" 1440p panel. It fits well. :)

Cool! And tell me, Did that made a difference in the image color? response time? detail, sharpness etc etc...?

I can't still wrap my head that those "cheap" generic universal driver board are doing as good as a controller on a high end laptop.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Cool! And tell me, Did that made a difference in the image color? response time? detail, sharpness etc etc...?

I can't still wrap my head that those "cheap" generic universal driver board are doing as good as a controller on a high end laptop.
I primarily use the cheap stock acer nitro 5 panel for discord or OBS. So I can't really attest to it's color accuracy or responsiveness. :(

I did have to use a program called "little big mouse" to get it set up so I can Move my mouse properly between the 2 screens. even though they are nearly the same size, they have a different PPI (pixel per inch) so mouse cursor movements, Initially, didn't work in the corners when setting up multiple displays in windows. But after some tinkering with the app and following a tutorial on YT I got it working. The worst part about it would be the ports have to be on the side of the display which means you can see the cables, but I bought right angle adapters and it seems to be working fine. Powered from my main monitor via USB to micro usb cable and display via mini hdmi to fullsize hdmi.

Colors are alright but not as nice as my Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 nano ips display. Viewing angles are good, and it has decent colors, I never adjusted any of the crappy OSD screen settings(it's OSD is pretty barebones) maybe adjusting it could help,or putting my spyder color calibration tool on it would help. However, I've just been too lazy since it's just for discord/OBS which doesn't need anything special.

Reactions: Soul_Est and _ONE_

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
The Strix XG17 comes calibrated from the factory out of the box with a printout showing its curves and srgb accuracy. I calibrated again with my own Colorimeter. Also, regarding the frame with speakers (aren't hard) but the battery would be difficult to setup. If you guys are able to secure a cheap xg17 or save up. It would definitely be an easier solution to the problem. Maybe these go on sale once the revisions release in a year with 300hz panels. Then get bumped up to 360hz once those are available. These are just laptops panels taken from their ROG gaming laptop flagships.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
If we are going down the DIY rabbit hole, why not use Apple Retina monitors? Colour accurate, possibly common and they mostly share the same assembly. Drivers might be an issue though. I've had a look on Ebay UK, but beware of scalpers.

Notebook review also has a round of up of Laptop displays.
You can find the part codes for the display in the reviews.

This is the display the highest rated laptop (Gigabyte Aero 17 HDR XB) uses, the AUO B173ZAN03.2:

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
If we are going down the DIY rabbit hole, why not use Apple Retina monitors? Colour accurate, possibly common and they mostly share the same assembly. Drivers might be an issue though. I've had a look on Ebay UK, but beware of scalpers.

This is the display the highest rated laptop (Gigabyte Aero 17 HDR XB) uses, the AUO B173ZAN03.2:
Imimcoco does have a controller board for the AUO B173ZAN03.2 it's 4k 60hz though. Personally I'd like a 144hz or 120hz panel. Www.aliexpress.com/item/4000926199191.html

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2020 Dell XPS 17 is 16:10, 4K, 100% Adobe RGB and 94% DCI-PC.

Anyone know the panel number? I might make my own custom portable display for personal use.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
2020 Dell XPS 17 is 16:10, 4K, 100% Adobe RGB and 94% DCI-PC.

Anyone know the panel number? I might make my own custom portable display for personal use.
Notebookcheck says the panel is a Sharp LQ170R1, though that's for the Precision 5750 rather than the XPS 17. Pretty much the same laptop, though. They also measured just (heh, "just") 84-90% Adobe RGB for their two samples though.

Edit: nvm, adding the XPS 17 to their comparison table confirms it uses the same panel.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Is there any way of knowing if 3rd-party replacement panels actually have calibration baked into them? Sounds like a gamble to me, and if there's no calibration baked into the panel's chips, there's absolutely no guarantee that they are even remotely color accurate, no matter how accurate the panel is capable of being if calibrated. And unless your driver board can handle 3D LUTs, there's no way of doing that kind of low-level calibration yourself, though one can of course get acceptably close with a colorimeter.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017

Good question, However I'm pretty sure it's a proprietary interface, and so far I didn't saw any hardware method to directly drive this kind of monitor

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Another update for the displayport to USBC monitor journey. I received my package from China containing the Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync cable, it takes DP and two USBA and converts it to a USBC DP ALT mode signal. My ASUS XG17 was detected right away and 1080P/240hz worked without issue. Gysnc compatibility also appeared and worked with Yakuza Kiwami 2 and PUBG. This cable also appeared to charge the monitor as the battery life didnt drop for 15 minutes or so but I will need to test it longer to be sure.

So to summarize for the XG17 below.

Bidirection cables and adapter do not work. The WACOM Link Plus and the Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync both work, they convert 2080 Ti DP output to ASUS XG17 USBC DP ALT mode input allowing me to use gsync compatibility.

The WACOM will be easier to find in the United States as it is sold by a number of online retailers and WACOM has a US storefront too, it is also cheaper at $70. It requires more cables and is a bit messier once setup, a separate charger will be needed to charge the monitor.

The Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync cable is harder to find, there are ebay listings and some on other Chinese storefronts, it is also more expensive at around $90 to $100. Shipping also takes a bit longer too. Since it is one cable it's a lot easier to cable management and make look cleaner if that's important to you. It also seems to charge the battery but I will need to test this longer the next time I travel for work.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Another update for the displayport to USBC monitor journey. I received my package from China containing the Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync cable, it takes DP and two USBA and converts it to a USBC DP ALT mode signal. My ASUS XG17 was detected right away and 1080P/240hz worked without issue. Gysnc compatibility also appeared and worked with Yakuza Kiwami 2 and PUBG. This cable also appeared to charge the monitor as the battery life didnt drop for 15 minutes or so but I will need to test it longer to be sure.

So to summarize for the XG17 below.

Bidirection cables and adapter do not work. The WACOM Link Plus and the Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync both work, they convert 2080 Ti DP output to ASUS XG17 USBC DP ALT mode input allowing me to use gsync compatibility.

The WACOM will be easier to find in the United States as it is sold by a number of online retailers and WACOM has a US storefront too, it is also cheaper at $70. It require more cables and is a bit messier once setup, a separate charger will be needed to charge the monitor.

The Belkin VR Glass Charge and Sync cable is harder to find, there are ebay listings and some on other Chinese storefronts, it is also more expensive at around $90 to $100. Shipping also takes a bit longer too. Since it is one cable it's a lot easier to cable management and make look cleaner if that's important to you. It also seems to charge the battery but I will need to test this longer the next time I travel for work.

Thanks for this! I'm looking everywhere for this sort of use case, and while my research boils down to these two plus sunix upd2018 pcie card, real world review like yours ia the best.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Lads, I think the perfect OLED portable monitor has finally arrived. Time to move aside, ASUS ProArt PQ22UC:

XtendTouch Pro

World’s 1st AMOLED Portable Monitor

4K AMOLED | 4,096 Touchscreen | >100% DCI-P3 | 99% AdobeRGB | Low Blue Light | 1ms Response Time | △E<1.5 | PD Passthrough Charging

Official product page and crowdfunding campaign sign-up here:
https://www.pepper-jobs.com/pages/xtendtouch-pro

Hopefully, this does not end up like some portable monitor campaigns (looking at you, TAIHE). Pepper Jobs has already sold many products on Amazon, though, so that does dramatically reduce the likelihood of this being some fly-by-night operation. I will be throwing my hat into the ring and signing up for the campaign so hopefully things do work out well!

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
It honestly depends on the view distance and nit-pickyness of the user. I use my 15.6” 4K IPS unit close up and I can honestly tell the difference immediately with my games. Preference for 4K is no different than the preference for high refresh rate monitors which I could care less about, or preference for wide color gamuts which I do care very much about. Different strokes for different folks.