Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Those videos were a bit cringey, but the display looks really good. Hoping for a good price too!

I don't understand why they advertise like that, I mean look at the view count, that's so low, and a video like that is expensive to produce...

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Small update for everyone. With the virtual link port being killed off, there is no USBC port on the new nvidia 3000 lineup. The Asus XG17 can do gsync compatibility through its USBC port since it has DisplayPort alt mode. No USBC output on gpu = no gsync. I’ve tried testing a few things to see if I could get DisplayPort to USBC working.

The Delock DP to USBC adapter doesn’t work and neither did several bi directional DP to USBC cables. I ordered the Wacom link plus which apparently takes DP and USB A and then converts it into a working USBC DP mode, hope to try this next week. I also ordered the Belkin charge and sync for huawei VR Glass which takes DP and two USB A and then converts to USBC DP, it’s coming from China so it won’t be here for a bit for me test. I wish these portable display makers woulda did a mini DP port so we could avoid all of this.

The gstory 15.6 in IPS 165hz is back in stock on amazon. I saw a post on reddit saying the delock adapter worked for DP to USBC for gsync compatibility, might be a good option for nvidia users though I can’t personally confirm it works.

They also have a 17 inch option now.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am currently building a n173hce-g33 17.3" pretty color accurate and very high brightness 144hz panel with a controller board I bought off ebay. I am designing a 3d printed case.
That looks like a nice panel, and Ebay pricing isn't bad either. I'm struggling to find what panel type it is though - the spec page for the MSI laptops that use it just say "IPS-level", and Panelook doesn't list anything beyond a-Si LCD, which ... well, yeah. That's kind of a given, there aren't that many IGZO panels out there. Is it some type of PLS? AFFS? I hate it when OEMs don't list those types of specs. But nonetheless it looks like an excellent alternative for a fast portable monitor.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
That looks like a nice panel, and Ebay pricing isn't bad either. I'm struggling to find what panel type it is though - the spec page for the MSI laptops that use it just say "IPS-level", and Panelook doesn't list anything beyond a-Si LCD, which ... well, yeah. That's kind of a given, there aren't that many IGZO panels out there. Is it some type of PLS? AFFS? I hate it when OEMs don't list those types of specs. But nonetheless it looks like an excellent alternative for a fast portable monitor.
I'm excited for when it's easier to get those new 240hz panels like in the strix xg17. Also, the newer IPS 300hz panels from the lastest gaming laptops.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
What is most surprising is the Dell XPS 15 line has been offering a 15.6-inch OLED option since 2019. The portable monitor makers love to dip into the monitor stock that these laptop makers use. Yet we have yet to see any 15.6-inch portable monitor offerings even over a year later from any of them. I am guessing they won't be offering OLED options until next year at the earliest. Not a total deal breaker, though.I really love my Magedok 15.6 inch 4K monitor that I just got, which features a 500 nit brightness, 1400:1 contrast ratio, 100% Adobe RGB and a touchscreen. It was purchased specifically to go into a tabletop/bartop arcade cabinet and it is the bee's knees for playing games thanks to the touch capability and beautiful color reproduction.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
For context the n173HCE-G33 panel I'm using in a diy probable monitor has some of the following specs (not as great as oled but good)

1. Luminance: 300 cd/m²
  2. ContrastRatio: 1000:1
  3. Response Time: 5/4 (Tr/Td) ms
  4. Viewing Angle: 89/89/89/89
  5. Support Color: 262K , 100% sRGB
  6. Light Source: WLED , 15K Hours , With LED Driver
  7. Frame Rate: 144Hz
  8. Screen size: 17.3"

Driver board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402243401630

Dual full size hdmi and dual full size display port
It seems functioning and gsync has an option but I dont know how "compatible" it is.

It won't benearly as thin, since I'm 3d printing a case and it won't be metal. :(

it should be pretty good, but not as nice. That being said the controller cost me ~112 after shipping and tax and about the same for the panel. So <225 for the 2 main parts. Some screws and 3d printer filament will need to be added to total cost but for sub 250 you get a much better panel than the g-story 17.3" but it will be bulkier also.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
What is most surprising is the Dell XPS 15 line has been offering a 15.6-inch OLED option since 2019. The portable monitor makers love to dip into the monitor stock that these laptop makers use. Yet we have yet to see any 15.6-inch portable monitor offerings even over a year later from any of them. I am guessing they won't be offering OLED options until next year at the earliest. Not a total deal breaker, though.I really love my Magedok 15.6 inch 4K monitor that I just got, which features a 500 nit brightness, 1400:1 contrast ratio, 100% Adobe RGB and a touchscreen. It was purchased specifically to go into a tabletop/bartop arcade cabinet and it is the bee's knees for playing games thanks to the touch capability and beautiful color reproduction.
I would expect the reason for there being no portable OLED monitors to be that there are (likely) no driver boards available for them, and given the low number of OLED panels out there making one would be rather expensive, especially since they likely couldn't simply copy an LCD design with slight modifications or even just a new firmware configuration like on LCD driver boards.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
I received the Wacom Link Plus and tested it quickly. I can confirm that it does allow me to take my 2080 Ti DP out and convert it to USBC DP ALT MODE in on my Asus XG17.

2080 Ti DP to Wacom Mini DP
Motherboard USBC port to Wacom USBC data symbol
Wacom USBC display out to XG17 USBC DP port.

Refresh rate up to the max 1080p/240hz and gsync compatibility is still an option in the nvidia control panel. I travel for work a bunch next week so I'll take everything along and see how it works in gaming. The Belkin charge and sync cable I mentioned just shipped from China a few days ago so I will still test that when I receive it.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
For context the n173HCE-G33 panel I'm using in a diy probable monitor has some of the following specs (not as great as oled but good)

1. Luminance: 300 cd/m²
  2. ContrastRatio: 1000:1
  3. Response Time: 5/4 (Tr/Td) ms
  4. Viewing Angle: 89/89/89/89
  5. Support Color: 262K , 100% sRGB
  6. Light Source: WLED , 15K Hours , With LED Driver
  7. Frame Rate: 144Hz
  8. Screen size: 17.3"

Driver board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402243401630

Dual full size hdmi and dual full size display port
It seems functioning and gsync has an option but I dont know how "compatible" it is.

It won't benearly as thin, since I'm 3d printing a case and it won't be metal. :(

it should be pretty good, but not as nice. That being said the controller cost me ~112 after shipping and tax and about the same for the panel. So <225 for the 2 main parts. Some screws and 3d printer filament will need to be added to total cost but for sub 250 you get a much better panel than the g-story 17.3" but it will be bulkier also.

I found this panel for 90$ and if you wan't a frame, there's a universal frame i found on many aliexpress kit (it's not pretty but it's strong)

I would love to get update from you and this DIY adventure, I think there's something to create from that

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I found this panel for 90$ and if you wan't a frame, there's a universal frame i found on many aliexpress kit (it's not pretty but it's strong)

I would love to get update from you and this DIY adventure, I think there's something to create from that

The cases on AliExpress wont fit. The heatsink on the board it too tall. I've asked multiple sellers. I have bought a case and driver for a 15.6" panel from my acer nitro 5 when I upgraded it to a 120hz panel. I use the old panel on the side of my 27" 1440p panel. It fits well. :)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I would be interested to see if anyone here would attempt making custom monitor cases. I'm surprised not many more on the site have attempted it.