Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
.... I'm bad at math lol
I had to think quite a bit about that myself, so no shade. Perhaps it should be obvious (32 is 2x16 and 18 is 2x9, after all), but in my excitement for a non-16:9 portable monitor that needed some serious triple-checking in my head. The giveaway for me was the two other versions in more ordinary 16:9 resolutions.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah that bastard resolution is pretty weird, never seen something like that before
IIRC Lenovo had that on their Yoga 2 Pro way back when (at least it had a weird not-quite-4K resolution), but that used an RGBW subpixel array and had terrible contrast, so I don't think many others used that panel. There are probably others too, but I think UHD panels became common too quick for this to really become a thing.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
I ordered one of these a couple of days ago: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/AOSIMAN-ASM-156UC-15-6-Inch-Portable-Monitor-Black-421986.html

Will see what it's like. Wanted HDMI in, touch and if possible higher res than 1080p - that's basically the only one I found that satisfies them all. Would have rather had a 1440p one, but that doesn't exist...

There is no such thing as a 240hz IPS and touch screen 1080p portable panel or that would end my suffering. So, I will take the trade off for sake of productivity and portability. I like that I can still use this with my switch, PC at home would be little touchscreen discord side monitor. In the future, when I move I would downsize to just one of these little touch screen portable monitors and make my new main a 32' 4k 144hz HDR 1000 FALD display. That would be solid and still portable enough for my apartment hoping life.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Any update on the Asus XG17? Seems to have gone quiet.

This is about a month ago.

"Hey, just a heads up, I called Asus to see if I could get an update. After a few days, they called me back and informed me its delayed until next year. Unfortunately no month or quarter given.

Huge bummer, almost complete with my new Velka 3 build and was hoping it would have been out by now."

Source

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm guessing we'll have some news in a couple of weeks - and hopefully some pricing and release dates ...

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
N
Im thiking of buying this monitor: http://www.jscsm.com/index.php?case=archive&act=show&aid=296

It has 1 USB c which is for power i think and then 2 mini HDMI so can easly use a converter if one wants to connect a USB c deceive. since there is no proven 17 or bigger that is slim enough to travel with this is the best i i could find. Any input?
Nothing specific about that model, but I've never met a mini or micro HDMI connector that wasn't utter garbage. They're very poorly designed connectors with too little mechanical strength to hold the quite thick and heavy cables they are meant to connect, leading to wiggling connectors, faulty/unstable connections, and ultimately mechanical failure. YMMV, of course, and very few portable monitors seem to use proper HDMI so one doesn't really have a choice.

kroken

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2019
N
Nothing specific about that model, but I've never met a mini or micro HDMI connector that wasn't utter garbage. They're very poorly designed connectors with too little mechanical strength to hold the quite thick and heavy cables they are meant to connect, leading to wiggling connectors, faulty/unstable connections, and ultimately mechanical failure. YMMV, of course, and very few portable monitors seem to use proper HDMI so one doesn't really have a choice.

I will probably upgrade to the asus XG17 when its released. I was told this model will run from a usb c port but 5v and 2A. my plan is to use hdmi converter. i can buy it for 150USD and its the best i can find for a 17 inch portable or is there something slimmer and better that i missed?

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I will probably upgrade to the asus XG17 when its released. I was told this model will run from a usb c port but 5v and 2A. my plan is to use hdmi converter. i can buy it for 150USD and its the best i can find for a 17 inch portable or is there something slimmer and better that i missed?
As I said I don't know of anything better, I was just trying to mentally prepare you for how terrible those connectors are so you don't expect this to be something for long-term portable use. I wouldn't expect it to last more than perhaps a year with a lot of connections and disconnections (guessing based on own experience with microHDMI connectors) - though if it has two inputs that alleviates the issue a lot, of course. I would recommend you get as thin and light HDMI cables as you can find, as they'll pull less on the connector.

kroken

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2019
As I said I don't know of anything better, I was just trying to mentally prepare you for how terrible those connectors are so you don't expect this to be something for long-term portable use. I wouldn't expect it to last more than perhaps a year with a lot of connections and disconnections (guessing based on own experience with microHDMI connectors) - though if it has two inputs that alleviates the issue a lot, of course. I would recommend you get as thin and light HDMI cables as you can find, as they'll pull less on the connector.

Yeah im prepared thanks haha. I have had some cheap china monitors in the past im just looking for the "best" china monitor i can get, i got this for around 130 US so will report when i get it. I hope to see some better quality portable monitors 2020. I will try to find a thin and light cable thanks for tip!

Reactions: Valantar

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
This is about a month ago.

"Hey, just a heads up, I called Asus to see if I could get an update. After a few days, they called me back and informed me its delayed until next year. Unfortunately no month or quarter given.

Huge bummer, almost complete with my new Velka 3 build and was hoping it would have been out by now."

Source

Ugh that sucks, hopefully it’s not too late into 2020 when it releases.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
It's the last piece for my portable setup that I'll need for April! I think last time its pricing was mentioned it was $599, but $399 would be a fair price I think

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'll gibbet be suprised if it's 399, the cheapest 1080p 240hz display I've found so far is 430